• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Just like the title says... You have to watch the video to believe it..

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...deer-hunter-spoiler-everyone-lives/886557001/

I don't know enough about deer behavior to tell if this young buck is trying to be "friendly" or what... In a way it looks like he might be gently sparring with the guy, and bucky is probably delighted he's not getting his ass kicked by a 275 lb mature buck in some other part of the forest..lol

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Call me crazy, but I honestly believe that was an intellectually challenged deer.

Hey maybe you're on to something there.. I was thinking maybe the unfortunate creature is someone's "pet", not literally, he's still a wild deer but some family feeds him and have gained his trust, maybe even petting him and stuff.

He won't last long like that though.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    There is a patch of woods between my neighborhood and the next one over that runs through both. About 20 years ago there was a small 4 pointer that would come over to be petted by the kids in the neighborhood. Since I only saw him that season, I am guessing he did not make it to the next...

There are still 6 does running the woods to this day.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Moments later, the buck did more than sniff — it pushed its nose directly into the middle of Hartley's back.

"I thought, 'Hey, what's going on here?" Hartley said.

What's this all about?

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    CWD..?? I'm unfamiliar with the term, educate me....

Country & Western Dancing.

AKA Chronic Wasting Disease. A disease found in deer and elk caused by a prion and similar to Mad Cow Disease.

Last edited:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    That buck seemed to pay a lot of attention to the hunter's boots... makes me wonder what scent or lure he put on them to interest the buck.

Still, that was a warm and fuzzy encounter, that could have gone very wrong with one lunge from the buck into the guts of the hunter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, a warm and wet encounter. His pants if he had any sense. Wouldn’t take much to put an antler in to him pretty deep.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That buck seemed to pay a lot of attention to the hunter's boots... makes me wonder what scent or lure he put on them to interest the buck.

Still, that was a warm and fuzzy encounter, that could have gone very wrong with one lunge from the buck into the guts of the hunter.

supposedly nothing but no wild deer would ever do that around here...that was someones pet.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Intellectually challenged hunter too.

If you would not allow a stranger to rub knives up and down your arms and abdomen, then you should not allow an animal to do so either, especially a wild animal at that.

If I was looking for a monster, I’d have to try next year and hang up the 8-point that almost did me in.

If I didn’t have a buck tag to use, I’d be calling DNR and hashing it out with them on self defense.

No. Thank. You.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Deer hunting is the Wisconsin state "sport".

No way any deer is "used to people" in Wisconsin. They all have hunting rifles by age 5! Well except in Madison, where they put on deer masks, and tie people (dummies) to their roofs and drive around town.

Stupid liberals. :rolleyes:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Back in the mid 70's, when my family had a cabin in a "weekend subdivision" in VA. A year round resident raised a male fawn, after he found it's mother hit by a car and killed. After it grew up into a Buck, it acted the same way, wanting to play with people, doing the same sparing with it's horns. When we took walks, we always had a stout walking stick with us to fend it off. The guy that raised it would put a Orange collar on it in the fall, but I think that someone shot it, when it was about 4 years old, as it had a nice 8 point rack, the last time I saw it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Da hell?!?!?!? That guy must've had doe in heat scent all over him.

I would have thought that too, but the hunter says in the report that he had no scent on. He says he’s hunted that area a lot and being the first day and all didn’t need it.

My second thought would be there was something wrong with the buck, disease, ate some wacky mushrooms or something.

But, most likely I’m guessing he was once a pet, or someone is feeding him. When I was a kid, there was a hunting club that kept a fawn like a pet. Great memories.

“”””
    “”””The buck-hunter play tussle lasted 15 minutes in all, Hartley said. The only casualty was Hartley's rain pants, which were shredded by the buck's sharp tines.
    At one point, Hartley told the deer to get going. "Don't you know I'm trying to hunt?" Hartley said.“”””

Back in the mid 70's, when my family had a cabin in a "weekend subdivision" in VA. A year round resident raised a male fawn, after he found it's mother hit by a car and killed. After it grew up into a Buck, it acted the same way, wanting to play with people, doing the same sparing with it's horns. When we took walks, we always had a stout walking stick with us to fend it off. The guy that raised it would put a Orange collar on it in the fall, but I think that someone shot it, when it was about 4 years old, as it had a nice 8 point rack, the last time I saw it.

Yep. Great story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom