• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I just sold some property in PA (to far from grandkids) so we are thinking of moving to St. Marys county. On the surface it looks like one of the good places to be if you are staying in Maryland farms, deer, shooting on your own property and just having fun. Not too much different from Cecil county. Any thoughts good, bad or indifferent. Thanks Chris.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    In the Mechanicsville area. My son lives in Calvert close enough for the grandkids but far enough away for silence. Chris

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I lived in Hollywood area years ago off of Lucky lane. I enjoyed that area. Stay away from Great Mills/Lexington Park area. Leonardtown area was nice. Grew up there.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It is Maryland, meaning that the state government is screwed up and you might want to consider living across the bridge in Dalghren, VA. On the other hand, it's outside the I-95 Axis of Leftism. I've lived in St. Mary's for nearly 30 years. Nice people. Housing around the base is insanely expensive for a good neighborhood.

If you do move here, get on the Sanners Lake Sportsman Club waiting list ASAP. It's running two years right now. Great club.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    In the Mechanicsville area. My son lives in Calvert close enough for the grandkids but far enough away for silence. Chris

'Mechanicsville' is still a broad term. It includes a broad swath across most of the northern end of the county. There are areas along the patuxent river, lots of farmland in the middle and even waterfront on the potomac. It is the part of the county still within the commute into NoVa and DC with all that brings with it. Now you may not care, but you are '25 minutes from anywhere'. The only local retail is a McKays supermarket in Charlotte Hall. Anything beyond that is a trip to Waldorf.

If it has to be MD, St Marys is one of the least painful places. But that will change too. People are moving in, the makeup of the county is changing and eventually it will suffer the same fate as Charles. I wouldn't get too deeply invested in either.

BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Down here now (from Wesrern Howard County) for a baseball tournament. Love it. Open space and friendly people.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    It is Maryland, meaning that the state government is screwed up and you might want to consider living across the bridge in Dalghren, VA. On the other hand, it's outside the I-95 Axis of Leftism. I've lived in St. Mary's for nearly 30 years. Nice people. Housing around the base is insanely expensive for a good neighborhood.

If you do move here, get on the Sanners Lake Sportsman Club waiting list ASAP. It's running two years right now. Great club.

I lived in St Mary's for about 30 years. Now I'm in Calvert. Like the quoted post, I had looked across the bridge. It used to be cheap. Then suddenly all the Charles County people started going there. My realtor said 5 of 6 of the people he serviced were from MD. I eventually found a real nice waterfront place in Calvert for less than Dahlgren. Granted it's not VA, but living there made potential commutes to patuxent River or DC possible.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Another plus to St Marys. . . no vehicle emission testing. :D

If you don't mind putting a little work into the house/property and waiting for the paper work to clear look around for short sales. I got a lot of house and property for what I could actually afford buy being patient and finding a solid short sale property.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Google "Southern Maryland News Net". Read the stories and keep an eye on the website. It will give you all of the knowledge you need, in short order.

As others have stated, stay far away from Great Mills/Lexington Park. Always remember, whether residents admit it or not, that the Waldorf trash is quickly moving into St. Mary's County. You will have a good ten years, after that, it will be looking much like Waldorf. Mechanicsville is sandwiched right in the path.

Dahlgren/King George is the closest paradise right now, but sounds like it is too far to fit your needs.

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    Google "Southern Maryland News Net". Read the stories and keep an eye on the website. It will give you all of the knowledge you need, in short order.

As others have stated, stay far away from Great Mills/Lexington Park. Always remember, whether residents admit it or not, that the Waldorf trash is quickly moving into St. Mary's County. You will have a good ten years, after that, it will be looking much like Waldorf. Mechanicsville is sandwiched right in the path.

Dahlgren/King George is the closest paradise right now, but sounds like it is too far to fit your needs.
    This.. a whole bunch of this. Plans are to be out of Mechanicsville in a couple of years for me. Possibility of section 8 moving in along with a DC Metro station in Waldorf is enough to run any good people out of the area. Consider the commonwealth just over the bridge.. won't be too bad of a hike to see family.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    This.. a whole bunch of this. Plans are to be out of Mechanicsville in a couple of years for me. Possibility of section 8 moving in along with a DC Metro station in Waldorf is enough to run any good people out of the area. Consider the commonwealth just over the bridge.. won't be too bad of a hike to see family.

Hell thats my plan in 2yrs or less , chuck county is turning into pg county anymore , traffic light hell , shopping centers everywhere, billion townhouses and apartments popping up everywhere. Heck branch ave commute is a night mare these days

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

If he reads only smnewsnet and thebaynet, he'll come away with the impression that we are all oyster poaching crackheads who can't drive.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    If he reads only smnewsnet and thebaynet, he'll come away with the impression that we are all oyster poaching crackheads who can't drive.

Ha! The one thing good about my county is if you do the crime, you won't do the time!

Oh, and the stuffed ham!! Getting to be about that time fellers!

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland

:lol: So true. I live in Hollywood and I really like the area. My wife's family is from the area so we've got some roots on that end. It's a great place to call home.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

I'm not so sure. There's going to be back-pressure from the base workforce. I see Hughesville as being the stopping point.

As to Lexington Park, Great Mills Road itself and the areas within about 500 yards of it are not the most desirable. California is nice.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Ha! The one thing good about my county is if you do the crime, you won't do the time!

That is if you have the right attorney who can make things fall off the SAs desk or get the case on Judge Densefords docket.

Oh, and the stuffed ham!! Getting to be about that time fellers!

And fried oysters. Can't forget the fried oysters.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    Bring plenty of money....you are going to need it. Also, be ready to accept that St. Mary's is one of the richest counties in Maryland...which sounds great, until you realize what it really means. This is a "donor" county to the rest of the state, meaning the taxes you pay do not return to this county...most of your tax money goes to feed the "jobless" {by choice} entitled folks in Baltimore city. The other problem is that three counties decide what happens here for the rest of the state. If every normal conservative republican voted three times we still could not outnumber the communist democrat left wing liberal idiots that run the show here in Maryland. Best advice I can possibly give is that you either seriously consider some other state or see a psychiatrist!!!!

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Yup I have been a nut case for years. Other then the high taxes, squirrel politicians and tons of guns laws Maryland is still a neat place to live. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom