• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    So I just filled out the order form for a Service Grade Garand. Should I get two in case I need parts to interchange making one closer of them closer to original? I know they recommend to have it looked over by a gunsmith is this necessary or just part of legalese wording? Also how long until they actually ship it?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I think that you guys may have underestimated the future prices of M1 rifles. CMP got M1's that we had loaned to Greece & Denmark, but they are gone. Commercial importation of USGI rifles (& parts) was banned by Clinton/Gore in the 1990's. I'm guessing that those currently being offered by CMP are turn-ins from veterans organizations.

I don't know the percentage, but many of the currently available rifles have new commercial wood &/or barrels. They may be good shooters, but not really the same as an arsenal rebuild.

The last attempt at commercial repros was by Springfield Armory Inc about 30 years ago. They assembled used USGI parts on newly manufactured receivers. Only a few thousand were made; there were problems due to receiver failure. And, USGI parts kits dried up. No one can afford to make a forged, milled, & hardened receiver today, & the design of the rifle requires a really strong & precisely milled receiver. Not like the M1 carbine, which fires a handgun-type cartridge. Plus, many of the rifle USGI small parts are forged & milled.
    To think that we could make a hardened, forged in spec reciever in the 1940s and we can't do it now is laughable. Cost and tooling is what's killing the market. Springfield Armory simply wouldn't be making M1A's if the CMP had been allowed to distribute them. I think once the CMP dries up then companies will begin buying primo, virginish recievers to start looking at dimensions, figuring out how to make the tooling and so on.

IIRC CMP offers like new (select grade or whatever they call it) Garands for $1500 so that should be the target price. I just want to see how artificial the market really is.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    To think that we could make a hardened, forged in spec reciever in the 1940s and we can't do it now is laughable. Cost and tooling is what's killing the market. Springfield Armory simply wouldn't be making M1A's if the CMP had been allowed to distribute them. I think once the CMP dries up then companies will begin buying primo, virginish recievers to start looking at dimensions, figuring out how to make the tooling and so on.

IIRC CMP offers like new (select grade or whatever they call it) Garands for $1500 so that should be the target price. I just want to see how artificial the market really is.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The CMP Special with new barrel, new wood, completely refinished and reparkerized was $995 but are currently sold out.

I am sure all the original drawings and specifications for the Garand are available as public information and probably the plans for the tooling originally made by the government. When they start making reproductions no doubt they will take advantage of all the modern manufacturing advancements including CNC machining, special alloys, lost wax castings, etc. it will look like a M1 Garand but it won't be a Garand. In all likelihood all the major players have considered this and have preliminary plans on file including what price point will make it economical.

Now if some major movie or TV series comes out glorifying the M1 Garand and WWII and demand goes through the roof everything will change. Think about Dirty Harry and how many .44 Magnums he sold.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The CMP Special with new barrel, new wood, completely refinished and reparkerized was $995 but are currently sold out.

I am sure all the original drawings and specifications for the Garand are available as public information and probably the plans for the tooling originally made by the government. When they start making reproductions no doubt they will take advantage of all the modern manufacturing advancements including CNC machining, special alloys, lost wax castings, etc. it will look like a M1 Garand but it won't be a Garand. In all likelihood all the major players have considered this and have preliminary plans on file including what price point will make it economical.

Now if some major movie or TV series comes out glorifying the M1 Garand and WWII and demand goes through the roof everything will change. Think about Dirty Harry and how many .44 Magnums he sold.

Theres generally an increase in calls to FFL's about Garands everytime Saving Private Ryan is shown on TV.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    No one makes new Garands because they would be cost prohibitive when taxpayers aren't footing a good portion of the bill.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

I bet it is more likely that they do what Springfield did with the m14 and switch to a cast receiver.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question - For those of you who live in Harford county, which CMP club do you reccomend joining?

Just join one of the online ones like Garand collectors association or M1 collectors club ( I have joined both over the years). Both were inexpensive. That will fulfill the club requirement. The shooting/firearms activity requirement can be fulfilled in ways other then shooting at a club match.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just join one of the online ones like Garand collectors association or M1 collectors club ( I have joined both over the years). Both were inexpensive. That will fulfill the club requirement. The shooting/firearms activity requirement can be fulfilled in ways other then shooting at a club match.

This. ^^

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So I just filled out the order form for a Service Grade Garand. Should I get two in case I need parts to interchange making one closer of them closer to original? I know they recommend to have it looked over by a gunsmith is this necessary or just part of legalese wording? Also how long until they actually ship it?

Don't even think about trying to "correct" a Garand. That way lies madness.
    "Mixmaster" = "Correct."

But do get two or more if you can swing the funds. You can keep them both or keep the one you like best and sell the other. You might swap a few parts, but there isn't much reason to, really.

I never had one checked by a gunsmith. That's cya legalese.

Historically, shipping time varies WILDLY, from days to months. There is an ongoing thread on the CMP forum that will give you an idea how shipping times are running now:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081&page=1086

Be sure to buy as much HXP ammo as you can. Also buy clips. The CMP has the best deal on clips, of course.
    http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Check the M1 Garand section on the CMP forum, the 1st sticky thread on the page is the New Order Timeline and it looks like it currently is running less than 30 days. If you start reading at the first post and read all the way through you will probably have it before you get to the end, over 10,000 posts.

Link to forum:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

:thumbsup:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The last attempt at commercial repros was by Springfield Armory Inc about 30 years ago. They assembled used USGI parts on newly manufactured receivers. Only a few thousand were made; there were problems due to receiver failure. And, USGI parts kits dried up. No one can afford to make a forged, milled, & hardened receiver today, & the design of the rifle requires a really strong & precisely milled receiver. Not like the M1 carbine, which fires a handgun-type cartridge. Plus, many of the rifle USGI small parts are forged & milled.

Not quite. Springfield produced all-new Garands starting in the 1970's and initially used USGI parts on new receivers but eventually started making "from scratch" rifles in the late 1990s and continued on through the early 2000s. These newer rifles used no USGI parts, all new, and a similar receiver production process as their M1A series. This was in response to the original Garand explosion post Saving Private Ryan and the original Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games from the same period. This was around the same time that they sold what was a REALLY good 1911A1 repro in the form of their original "G.I. 45." The 1911's were produced by Imbel but were bone stock mil-spec firearms with a park finish and they worked like a charm. I think I had 1 failure to extract out of the thousands of .45ACP I put through mine. It's the one firearm I wish I'd never sold. As for the Garands, I'm not sure where the receivers were from, but they were a park finish in BLO rubbed walnut stock with repro sling. Retail at that time was ~$1200 which is probably what did them in. Once people discovered that the guys at the gun shows who were selling authentic Garands were just buying them from CMP and jacking up the price two or three fold, the market collapsed. That's when they shifted the entirety of their rifle production over to the M1A and started branching out with their SOCOM models circa 2005. Dunlap Gun and Pawn in Hurricane WV had one of the repro M1's that I'd go in and drool over when picking up bandoleers of Greek surplus HXP to run through my buddy's shooter-grade Garand at the local state forest range.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Don't even think about trying to "correct" a Garand. That way lies madness.j
    "Mixmaster" = "Correct."

But do get two or more if you can swing the funds. You can keep them both or keep the one you like best and sell the other. You might swap a few parts, but there isn't much reason to, really.

Historically, shipping time varies WILDLY, from days to months. There is an ongoing thread on the CMP forum that will give you an idea how shipping times are running now:

Be sure to buy as much HXP ammo as you can. Also buy clips. The CMP has the best deal on clips, of course.
    http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

I was going to comment but I knew you would. And you'd be more eloquent.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Don't even think about trying to "correct" a Garand. That way lies madness.
    "Mixmaster" = "Correct."

this was mine. and the folks that got theirs in by Aug 26, had like a 4=5 day turn around.. Ones like mine that were mailed on 29th went in limbo for a little bit while they caught up to the first orders.

Update***

Order : 8 RM1Service
    Order Sent : 8/30 snail mail
    Order Received : Sept 19, got a email needing Pic of Gun club badge

Case Added : 20th?
    Cert check: Sept 19th?
    Shipped : Sept 21st
    Received Sept 22nd

RM1SERVICE M1 Garand Service Grade

Serial #: 166xxxx
    Serial #: 381xxxx
    Serial #: 477xxxx
    Serial #: 541xxxx
    Serial #: 560xxxx
    Serial #: 560xxxx
    Serial #: 570xxxx
    Serial #: 616xxx
    All GI stocks and very good to Moderate Specs. very happy:)

Thy sent me 4 HRA and 4 SA. All GI stocks, Most have rack numbers or something else cool on them. One has a SA-52 Stamped on top of receiver near back of rear sight, i need to look that up and see whats thats about.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Don't you tempt me.

Aroint thee!

You really made out with 8 GI stocks.

It might have been how i asked..
    I put in a sticky

""Hi guys,
    Please if at all possible give me good specs, I care more about that than the wood. Thanks, keep up the good work! ""

But wait.. it gets better.... I just took them out the stocks real fast.

1 LEAD eletro-pencil on Legs
    4 SA electro-pencil on legs
    One marked SA-52 on top of receiver.
    One Stock with boxed [SA]
    One Stock with Large P at wrist, not circled.. Odgen rebuild maybe??

This is what i got for specs..

Attachments

• 20160922_205348.jpg
      20160922_205348.jpg
      31.1 KB · Views: 98

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Oh and I forgot to ask but what is a good reload for shooting out of a Garand? I remember reading that it is a lighter load due to the semi auto receiver gas system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom