• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Well, it's academic in this case as a Star BS is not C&R (yet), the "S" indicates magazine safety which was introduced in 1968.
    But it will be interesting to see if Sarco has changed their policy.

This is according to Star:
    Model BS
    The model BS is a normal, second Model B, except with the addition of a magazine safety, made for individuals, locales and agencies which require one. It was produced from 1957 to the end of classic series production in 1983.

Jul 1, 2012
    This is according to Star:
    Model BS
    The model BS is a normal, second Model B, except with the addition of a magazine safety, made for individuals, locales and agencies which require one. It was produced from 1957 to the end of classic series production in 1983.

That quote is from this website:
    http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/index.shtml
    which is a private dude's site (Steven Hoober), not an official Bonifacio Echeverria website, despite what it looks like :)

The info in that quote is incorrect.
    The paragraph about the German Army B is mostly incorrect as well.

Dr. Len Antaris wrote the definitive book "Star Firearms", and had access to factory records and other neat sources.

Those factory records show the BS being produced from 1968 to 1974 and then another block in 1986.
    The "B" was discontinued when the "BS" was introduced.

"The first of these pistols to have the [magazine] safety were assembled in 1968 and marked with an S suffix, hence the AS and BS" (Antaris p.352)
    This is true of all the "S" suffix Star's as far as I can tell (e.g. all introduced in 1968).

The Spanish date code will show you the year of mfg, or it can be found in the table of S/N's in Antaris' "Star Firearms" book p. 362
    For the BS I think you need to take the grips off to see the date code.

There's always a good handful of C&R-eligible Star Model B's on GunBroker.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Thanks for the heads up on the site I quoted. Normally, I would have realized it was not an official Star website. I must be slipping! I am still learning every day about C&R weapons and where to find reliable information.

Well, the manager went home without calling me back. Perhaps he will call in the morning.

As for GunBroker, the Star B's I have seen on there are generally going for more than they are worth, to me. I do keep looking anyway in hopes to find one priced right for what it is. If I am going to spend top dollar on one, it will have to be matching and in excellent condition. Most I see on there do not meet these requirements and the ones that do are being sold for much more than they should be IMO. I did find one that I wanted to bid on a few months ago, but the seller would not sell C&R handguns to Maryland residents! Apparently, some sellers do not understand that federal law supersedes the commie Maryland laws and are unable to comprehend what they read!

Jul 1, 2012
    Agree, it's tough to find a good Star B.
    Most are buffed/pitted/refinished messes with nasty import marks.
    If you see one with a purplish-colored extractor, it's refinished.
    Sarco had "plain B's" for a while but they were in poor condition.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    That 03A3 is an amazing find.

Too bad about the C&R shipping thing.

Will be interesting to see what that rifle goes for.

I was interested in bidding on several rifles this weekend, but out of half a dozen sellers, no one has responded to my "are you ok selling/shipping to an FFL03 C&R license holder?" At least this douchebag states it in his ad.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I was interested in bidding on several rifles this weekend, but out of half a dozen sellers, no one has responded to my "are you ok selling/shipping to an FFL03 C&R license holder?" At least this douchebag states it in his ad.

What you want to buy :D I might part with something.

this week I added to the collection.

Belgian 1935 mauser ( all matching)

colt 1892 revolver

Colt Officers Model "heavy barrel" revolver

4 Billet lowers

and a beautiful wingmaster 870. :lol2:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I'm your huckleberry on that Belgian M1935 if you want to get rid of it. I've been looking for one

:lol2: Im sure you would be, they are semi hard to find and especially matching. Empire arms has one nicer than the one im buying that is matching right now.. low low price of 1750.00 ;)

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    What you want to buy :D I might part with something.

this week I added to the collection.

Belgian 1935 mauser ( all matching)

colt 1892 revolver

Colt Officers Model "heavy barrel" revolver

4 Billet lowers

and a beautiful wingmaster 870. :lol2:

Was looking for an 03-A3, but that might have wait due to a recent purchase :innocent0

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Sometimes the seller might be an individual, like myself, who can't accept a C&R because that won't get it shipped. My closest shipper is the USPS. They tell me they can only ship from dealer to dealer, unless it's an antique.
    Just curious, but how is that any different than shipping to an 01ffl?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

smoothebore

Just curious, but how is that any different than shipping to an 01ffl?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

03's are not dealers. I guess they think that only an 01 dealer can perform a background check. I'm not claiming to understand the logic, just stating what I see in trying to sell and ship a gun. The BATF defines antique, long gun, handgun, etc, then says the regulations of the post office must be followed for shipping. The local post office tells me a gun is a gun and can only ship from dealer to dealer. I sold two black powder pistols in the last year. One was a double barrel muzzleloader Howdah Pistol. The other was a repro Remington New Army Revolver. Both were percussion firing systems. They both clearly fit into the definition of antique (or reproduction). The Post Office would only see them as handguns and would only ship them from dealer to dealer. To be fair to my buyer, I reimbursed him for his FFL-01 fee.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Add another that flat out refuses to accept a C&R, I emailed them and asked if this was still their Policy due to seeing "We decline to ship directly to C&R holders, regardless of eligibility."

Got back.. NatickOutdoorStore
    10:18 AM (3 hours ago)
    to
    yes, we will only ship to FFL.

ME: So a FFL 03 is good to go then.

NatickOutdoorStore
    1:57 PM (15 minutes ago)
    to
    No C&R

Dave W >
    2:10 PM (2 minutes ago)
    to NatickOutdoorS.
    Gotcha, regardless of the fact that its a FFL you refuse to ship to a C&R FFL Holder.
    Thanks for the Update, I will add you guys to the list.

Update...

NatickOutdoorStore
    2:33 PM (9 hours ago)
    to
    We will gladly ship to an 01 FFL, thank you for understanding our policy...

Dave W <>
    2:46 PM (8 hours ago)
    to NatickOutdoorS.
    Sorry , but since i went through the trouble to attain my FFL03, I think its only fair that I buy from shops and Individuals that understand that I have been checked out by the ATF to use my Valid FFL license. There really is Zero reason for me to buy a rifle from someone who doesn't accept my FFL as if i have you ship to a local dealer that will cost me a additional 40.00-60.00 on top of my purchase for the transfer fee.. I would rather give my money to someone else who wants it and have it shipped to me direct. . thank you for understanding my policy

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Droliff in OH refuses to sell handguns to C&R.

I'm still finding more folks willing to sell to me than I have money to buy from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom