• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    Not a gun question but I know there are a lot of well informed people that visit here. My question is with all the shortcomings in revenues why in the world are we planting thousands of trees along state roads in Harford county. along routes 136,165,155 and route one so far maybe other places also. They are narrow strips of trees planted very closely together and many times planted where a homeowner kept it nicely mowed. Now they will have a jungle to look forward to. I can't help but think that Marty gave a buddy in the landscape business a big ole contract and figured his man would take over and no one would notice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's to make us feel better about all the [over] development and heat islands that are being created.

Of course, it only does any good if they actually bother to take care of the greenery and see that the plants become viable......

Don't get my wife started on this one... please........

;)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    7 more posts and you will be able to hang out in the Water Cooler forum where they discuss the grand fundamental questions of life 24-7. This is at best, a Central Md topic, not 2A.

Trees? Be glad you don't live in AA county where every weekend they plant 30-40 cheap signs advertising work from home, sell your house, guitar lessons, leaf raking, yard sale, yard work, hot tub sale, Indian food, Chinese food, mattress sale plus real estate signs by the six pack at every intersection.

Mr H

Banana'd
    7 more posts and you will be able to hang out in the Water Cooler forum where they discuss the grand fundamental questions of life 24-7. This is at best, a Central Md topic, not 2A.

Trees? Be glad you don't live in AA county where every weekend they plant 30-40 cheap signs advertising work from home, sell your house, guitar lessons, leaf raking, yard sale, yard work, hot tub sale, Indian food, Chinese food, mattress sale plus real estate signs by the six pack at every intersection.

They do the tree thing in AACo too...

All summer, along MD100, they tore out a ton of growth, just to put in new stuff in scalding temps, and not water it regularly.

This is "spend it or lose it" money, I'm sure.

BTW... the OP has been here 4 years plus... I doubt the WC is first in mind.

Yeah, it's probably better suited to the regional folders, but anyone can use the report button to request a change.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    We all are passionate about different things, but I can't be the only one that thinks the original question is a bit odd.

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Up in Palmer State Park they planted several dozen acres of trees in those plastic tubes. State Penitentiary denizens did the actual planting.

That was 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe half of them survived. Why did they do it?

Who knows.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I saw some road construction costs between states a while back and Maryland had a substantially higher cost per mile than Texas. From what I have seen, Maryland seems to focus more on environmental issues than other states and does spend a lot on plants (Interconnector Highway for Example) and accumulates those costs as part of the construction cost. I saw an overview of some of the environmental planning for the Interconnector Highway and could not believe that they used a dog to gather up all the turtles around the road and attached radio transmitters to the shells so that they could observe turtle migration. Once you understand all these costs, you better understand why the road tolls are so high and why so many drivers cannot afford to drive on the road. At least the turtles are happy. I am hopeful that Hogan can better balance road construction progress with costs.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Well... considering the OP doesn't have enough posts to get to the Water Cooler forum... He pondered... He posted... and now his post is odd? I'm not digging :D for a possible reason that you think it's odd...at least it was NOT a series of one-word posts to GET him to the WC... or Classifieds.
    mini rant off.

To the question... It may have to do with .gov regulations about trees being removed for development... so many have to be replaced. Reforestation ?

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    these are larger trees with stakes to make them straight mostly planted twenty feet wide twenty feet off the shoulder. not the normal reforestation with small trees in tubes. sorry I put this in the 2a forum but I got the result I wanted. I wanted a lot of people to see this. I am hoping someone in my county has seen what is going on and has an explanation. thanks again for your input

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I haven't noticed, nor do I know/heard of any tree planting going on.

Since my original post wasn't helpful, 410-838-7788 is the phone number to the SHA Churchville Shop, call and ask them.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Trees are planted for many reasons and actually I think they are good for us. Not sure what the problem is.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    In Anne Arundel, we're getting ponds along all the state roads. The goal, like the trees, is to slow the flow of 'dirty' stormwater into the streams.

Trees are also pretty. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In Cecil County we have beavers cutting the trees down in the "Natural Resource Management Area" including many that were originally planted in little plastic tubes.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    In Anne Arundel, we're getting ponds along all the state roads. The goal, like the trees, is to slow the flow of 'dirty' stormwater into the streams.

'It's for the bay'

With the fight against the evils of runoff and silt in full swing, I would hate to ride a motorcycle in this state. All this rip-rap showing up in highway medians is going to kill a rider one of these days.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    They have to spend the rain tax revenue somewhere.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I always thought the roadside trees were there as a place deer could hide before they lept into oncoming traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom