• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Not a MoCo resident, but...

I heard that they did about a month ago. I last saw the owner and crew at the HoCo Silverado Gun Show in January, but they must have closed the doors a few months after. My last pistol purchase was through them, they had the P228 I was looking for. The shop owner (I forget his name) seemed pretty worn down when talking to him. I seem to recall that he was a board member on the MLFDA. I guess he got tired and pursued other avenues.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It was a cool shop but the one time that I went in there the prices seemed extremely high compared to other shops. I would imagine that prices plus SB281 finally killed them off. Sad to see another LGS close up

Jul 13, 2014
    I do not think it is SB281's fault. It is actually favors dealers by banning all of FTF transactions. I think it is C&R and the internet. Just like in other retails, dealers cannot compete with the internet prices without sacrificing their margin. And this is not some stores are willing to do.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I bought my first handgun there back in the late nineties, and probably a half dozen more over the years. They used to have competitive prices and then not so much. I didn't know the guys well, but Allen always seemed to be a straight shooter to me. I once decided to trade back in a used Italian made Beretta 92FS bought there for a model 22 glock. He told me the Beretta would sale as soon as it went back in the case and I should keep it and just get the Glock. Actually really liked that Beretta, still kick myself for trading it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have no idea how anyone could run a retail store like that.
    It smelled like smoke and dirt and looked like a yard sale inside.
    The gun case was nice but the entire rest of the store was gross.

I'd been looking a long time for a good S&W 19 2 1/2", and Gun Rack had the first I'd seen at any Maryland show, a 19-3 in almost perfect condition at a fairly reasonable price. I bought that last December. Guess it's my fault they closed because I didn't go back. But Burtonsville is kind of a haul from Timonium. In a way, I think it's an example of something I've thought for a long time - if more dealers posted their inventories online, so if, say, I'd be able to see if a shop a couple hours away had something I'd been looking for, I'd have no problem driving there and back, twice, to buy it. But I'm not going to make regular visits in the hope they've gotten in something I can't find elsewhere.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I do not think it is SB281's fault. It is actually favors dealers by banning all of FTF transactions. I think it is C&R and the internet. Just like in other retails, dealers cannot compete with the internet prices without sacrificing their margin. And this is not some stores are willing to do.

You are misinformed about SB281.

All handgun/regulated firearm transactions before and after the ban had to be done through an FFL or MSP Barracks (even the "free" gift transfers between family members). All long gun transactions before and after the ban can be done FTF.

In no way did SB281 help gun shops, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It is a bad egg no matter what way you cut it.

Jul 1, 2012

Huh? It didn't change anything for FTF as far as I know... and gun stores are certainly able to carry C&R firearms (and do) to cater to customers. In fact C&R handguns should be more popular now in a MD LGS since you don't need the HQL. If I had a gun shop I'd be concentrating on increasing the C&R handgun selection... but I'm a bit biased I admit :) I will grant you that people getting their FFL-03 does impact sales to some extent, but with the small percentage of FFL-03's compared to the gun-buying population in general I doubt it's that much. As of July 2014 there were 2664 FFL-03's in MD. Same time last year, pre-FSA in July 2013 there were 2469. I would have thought that number would have doubled at least. That's surprising frankly.

In talking with the LGS's around here, handgun sales have plummeted since the FSA 2013. Hardly anything is moving. That's a direct effect IMHO.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I have no idea how anyone could run a retail store like that.
    It smelled like smoke and dirt and looked like a yard sale inside.
    The gun case was nice but the entire rest of the store was gross.

So, i guess you didn't care for the cutaway ma-deuce trainer, right? That was awesome.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So, i guess you didn't care for the cutaway ma-deuce trainer, right? That was awesome.

That was awesome......and they always had a great selection of used guns and CZs (prices were a little high but they were a small shop)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah that was awesome.
    I think it was all the slot machines that confused me when I went in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom