• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I got my hunting license as well as state and federal duck stamps at bass pro today. (BTW, Fed stamp is now $17. I'm guessing that changed this year.) This being the first time I've bought a Federal stamp in MD I was surprised when the lady behind the counter told me that they mailed the stamp to me. Is this true in MD? Every other state I've hunted always gives you the federal stamp when you buy it. Usually it's the state stamp you have to wait for, but she handed me a state stamp. So I'm just trying to make sure she was correct, and I'm legal before I head out to the duck blind for the early teal season.

Thanks,
    Tom

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I got my hunting license as well as state and federal duck stamps at bass pro today. (BTW, Fed stamp is now $17. I'm guessing that changed this year.) This being the first time I've bought a Federal stamp in MD I was surprised when the lady behind the counter told me that they mailed the stamp to me. Is this true in MD? Every other state I've hunted always gives you the federal stamp when you buy it. Usually it's the state stamp you have to wait for, but she handed me a state stamp. So I'm just trying to make sure she was correct, and I'm legal before I head out to the duck blind for the early teal season.

Thanks,
    Tom

Yes and what is printed on your license regarding the Federal stamp is valid for 45 days in case you do not receive the physical stamp prior to open season. The 45 days is from the date of purchase.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Yes and what is printed on your license regarding the Federal stamp is valid for 45 days in case you do not receive the physical stamp prior to open season. The 45 days is from the date of purchase.

Last year mine was late and I called DNR in AA County and the desk SGT said 45 days is it, his Capt overheard the conversation and said his is also late therefore he instructed the SGT to notify all DNR in AA County not to ticket if the lic states the hunter purchased one.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Last year mine was late and I called DNR in AA County and the desk SGT said 45 days is it, his Capt overheard the conversation and said his is also late therefore he instructed the SGT to notify all DNR in AA County not to ticket if the lic states the hunter purchased one.

And that's the way it should be just like the state stamp. If its printed on the license then that shows you bought one but common sense isn't used by everyone.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    Buy the stamp at the post office or federal park and save $2. Why should you have to pay $2 for someone to put a $.49 stamp and mail it to you? The reason you have to physically have the stamp and SIGN in ink is because it is also an entry fee to federal refuges. When you sign it, you can't transfer it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And that's the way it should be just like the state stamp. If its printed on the license then that shows you bought one but common sense isn't used by everyone.

And what prevents you from taking the one you received in the mail and giving it to your buddy who then sticks it on his license and says he bought it at the post office, while never having paid a dime for it, because your receipt on your license is all you need?

The state stamp is slightly different because I believe the only way to get it is through a DNR license vendor.

You can buy a stamp here:

http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/stamps.htm

And at the post office.

So, either the law needs to be you have the stamp in your possession or you have the receipt in your possession with your name signed across it. The reason why your signature is required across the face of the stamp is so you cannot loan the stamp among buddies. Outfitters could just carry 5 or 6 stamps with them the entire season and hand them out to those hunting if no signature was required and the stamp did not need to be affixed to the hunter's license.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Got my Federal Duck Stamp every year since 2000 at a Federal Park. Hand them the cash, get the stamp…simple as that.

Missed one. You can buy the federal stamp at a federal park too. So, there is no way for a game warden to check his database to see if you actually purchased one.

Rack&Roll, do you waterfowl hunt? If so, I had no idea. Would have talked your ear off about it that night at Red, Hot & Blue.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I think that they are mailed to you now is cause in the past I have had friends try to buy them late in the season and they were hard to find.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    And what prevents you from taking the one you received in the mail and giving it to your buddy who then sticks it on his license and says he bought it at the post office, while never having paid a dime for it, because your receipt on your license is all you need?

The state stamp is slightly different because I believe the only way to get it is through a DNR license vendor.

You can buy a stamp here:

http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/stamps.htm

And at the post office.

So, either the law needs to be you have the stamp in your possession or you have the receipt in your possession with your name signed across it. The reason why your signature is required across the face of the stamp is so you cannot loan the stamp among buddies. Outfitters could just carry 5 or 6 stamps with them the entire season and hand them out to those hunting if no signature was required and the stamp did not need to be affixed to the hunter's license.

You've looked past the point I was making and have move on to a whole different matter.

If I have my license with the Federal stamp purchase printed on it just like the State stamp then that should be proof enough. Having the physical stamp attached to the license doesn't make it anymore legitimate.

Save your hypothetical arguments as those aren't the issues I was referring too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You've looked past the point I was making and have move on to a whole different matter.

If I have my license with the Federal stamp purchase printed on it just like the State stamp then that should be proof enough. Having the physical stamp attached to the license doesn't make it anymore legitimate.

Save your hypothetical arguments as those aren't the issues I was referring too.

But it is the very reason they will not accept the receipt on your license. Now, if you were to never receive the stamp in the mail, then you "hypothetical" of how things should be, might actually work and somebody wouldn't be getting a stamp for free from his buddy because the receipt is good enough, The way you think it should be, would result in an abuse of the system, no "hypothetical" about it. If you cannot see how the system would be abused under your "good enough" scenario where either a receipt OR the actual stamp would be accepted, then so be it.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    But it is the very reason they will not accept the receipt on your license. Now, if you were to never receive the stamp in the mail, then you "hypothetical" of how things should be, might actually work and somebody wouldn't be getting a stamp for free from his buddy because the receipt is good enough, The way you think it should be, would result in an abuse of the system, no "hypothetical" about it. If you cannot see how the system would be abused under your "good enough" scenario where either a receipt OR the actual stamp would be accepted, then so be it.

Again, your going off on another matter. What's your deal?

The point I am making is that if its printed on my license then that's proof enough that I bought it should DNR stop me while in the field. The whole deal with the printed portion only being valid for 45 days unless the physical stamp is attached is asinine.

I understand the point of abuse your getting at but that is a different matter then what I'm talking about. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not sure why your failing to grasp that...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Again, your going off on another matter. What's your deal?

The point I am making is that if its printed on my license then that's proof enough that I bought it should DNR stop me while in the field. The whole deal with the printed portion only being valid for 45 days unless the physical stamp is attached is asinine.

I understand the point of abuse your getting at but that is a different matter then what I'm talking about. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not sure why your failing to grasp that...

Because if DNR is willing to accept the receipt, without the stamp, and the stamp without the receipt, then you and your buddy go halvsies on a stamp the morning of the hunt, you hold onto the receipt, your buddy holds onto the stamp, when DNR shows up you show DNR the receipt, your buddy shows DNR the stamp, and the federal government just lost out on the sale of a second stamp. Again, it has to be one or the other. Either the receipt in your name is the proof of purchase, or the stamp is the proof of purchase.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Because if DNR is willing to accept the receipt, without the stamp, and the stamp without the receipt, then you and your buddy go halvsies on a stamp the morning of the hunt, you hold onto the receipt, your buddy holds onto the stamp, when DNR shows up you show DNR the receipt, your buddy shows DNR the stamp, and the federal government just lost out on the sale of a second stamp. Again, it has to be one or the other. Either the receipt in your name is the proof of purchase, or the stamp is the proof of purchase.

You started off with quoting my post #7 which was a reply to post #6. Go back and re read post #6. I'm addressing one particular issue to which you continue to spin into something else. What are you trying to prove?

Give it a rest.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You started off with quoting my post #7 which was a reply to post #6. Go back and re read post #6. I'm addressing one particular issue to which you continue to spin into something else. What are you trying to prove?

Give it a rest.

Yes no question for you.

Is your position that if the purchase of the federal waterfowl stamp is shown on your license, that should be good enough, even well beyond the 45 day period that is currently allotted?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    It says in the book you do not have to carry the MD waterfowl stamp, but you better have your Federal stamp stuck to your license and signed over it!!

It's on the hunting regulation book on page #12. I work with MDWFA and I know this for a fact! Stuck to your license and signed across so it cannot be removed and affixed to someones license other than yours. I know for a fact an MD Game warden will fine you if you are not carrying the federal stamp, signed, after the 45 day grace period!
    Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp
    • At U.S. Post Offices and at http://duckstamp.com............$15.00
    • From DNR sport license agents, DNR online licensing,
    by phone (1-855-855-3906), and DNR Licensing and
    Registration Service Centers......................................... $17.00
    This stamp (the federal duck stamp) is required for all waterfowl
    hunters, including those who are not required to purchase a hunting
    license. Hunters under the age of 16 are exempt. The federal duck
    stamp must be signed in ink to be valid. If you order your stamp
    online, http://duckstamp.com, you will receive a purchase code. If
    you purchase your stamp from a sport license agent, DNR online
    licensing, or a DNR Licensing and Registration Center, you will
    receive a printed receipt. Both the purchase code and the printed
    receipt will be accepted as evidence of the purchase for 45 days and
    must be possessed while hunting waterfowl and coots. The paper
    stamp will be mailed to the purchaser. The proof of purchase will
    expire after 45 days after which purchaser must then possess the