Old September 13th, 2013, 07:42 AM #11
autodidact

autodidact

Well, not everybody . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Pack View Post
An HQL is required for anyone that wants to PURCHASE a handgun: clowns, priests, CCW holders, Frosh, current regulated firearms owners, Democrats, commies....anyone
For those who may be tuning in late, it should be clarified that the HQL requirement (to purchase or otherwise receive a handgun) does not apply to everyone -- there are three classes of persons who are exempted.

They are: (1) "A licensed firearms manufacturer." (2) "A law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency . . .", a provision that MSP interprets to apply to "any law enforcement in the United States." (3) "A member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard." (The scope of this exception is discussed in other threads.)

In addition, there are two classes of handguns that SB 281 exempts from the HQL license requirement:

(1) "an antique," which (to over-simplify slightly) refers to firearms manufactured before 1899 OR that do not fire fixed ammunition (e.g., muzzle-loaders). Since such guns are not regulated for transfer purposes in Maryland in the first place, this exception is of no importance.

(2) any handgun "defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives" as a "curio, or relic firearm." Handguns that were manufactured more than 50 years ago are defined in federal law as "curios and relics" (C&R). Also so classified are a small number of models, mostly collector items, manufactured more recently and specifically given C&R status by ATF. This exception to the HQL requirement has nothing whatever to do with the Federal Firearms License type 03 (Collector of Curios & Relics), and should not be confused therewith. Possession or non-possession of an FFL-C&R is entirely irrelevant to the HQL exception for these handguns.
ddeanjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:56 AM #12
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
Only if they don't vote.
THE DECEASED:

They are able to vote in Baltimore....

They are required to vote in Washington, DC....

They are required to vote multiple times in Chicago.

Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:11 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeanjohnson View Post
For those who may be tuning in late, it should be clarified that the HQL requirement (to purchase or otherwise receive a handgun) does not apply to everyone -- there are three classes of persons who are exempted.

They are: (1) "A licensed firearms manufacturer." (2) "A law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency . . .", a provision that MSP interprets to apply to "any law enforcement in the United States." (3) "A member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard." (The scope of this exception is discussed in other threads.)

In addition, there are two classes of handguns that SB 281 exempts from the HQL license requirement:

(1) "an antique," which (to over-simplify slightly) refers to firearms manufactured before 1899 OR that do not fire fixed ammunition (e.g., muzzle-loaders). Since such guns are not regulated for transfer purposes in Maryland in the first place, this exception is of no importance.

(2) any handgun "defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives" as a "curio, or relic firearm." Handguns that were manufactured more than 50 years ago are defined in federal law as "curios and relics" (C&R). Also so classified are a small number of models, mostly collector items, manufactured more recently and specifically given C&R status by ATF. This exception to the HQL requirement has nothing whatever to do with the Federal Firearms License type 03 (Collector of Curios & Relics), and should not be confused therewith. Possession or non-possession of an FFL-C&R is entirely irrelevant to the HQL exception for these handguns.
You left out criminals and gang members.... you know, those people created all the "gun violence."

Quote:
All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one.
daggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:28 PM #14

Guess I misunderstood something. I always thought they said hunters safety counted as the training. According to their site, it does not...
henn5849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:30 PM #15
Man of Many Nicknames

Man of Many Nicknames

Quote:
Originally Posted by henn5849 View Post
Guess I misunderstood something. I always thought they said hunters safety counted as the training. According to their site, it does not...
There was some talk of including that specifically in the legislation, but it didn't make it in.

At this point, though, the training requirements are undefined. If you can prove that you already own a regulated firearm in Maryland, the training requirement is waived.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs." - Judge Benson Everett Legg
Hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:31 PM #16
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Quote:
It does. Codified by law, not regulation.

That is one thing the MSP is forced to accept.
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:32 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post

There was some talk of including that specifically in the legislation, but it didn't make it in.

At this point, though, the training requirements are undefined. If you can prove that you already own a regulated firearm in Maryland, the training requirement is waived.
Ok. Was wondering if something changed. Soooo thankful I am retired military. I'm just trying to get all my friends ready for this. They are the ones refusing to register anything. Not going to be good for them when they want to buy a new pistol..
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM #18
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

Don't forget dead illegals too.

Anything less is voter suppression
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM #19

Sorry. I read something wrong.
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM #20
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Sorry. I read something wrong.
Pg 28-29

Quote:
(E) AN APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IS NOT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING COURSE UNDER SUBSECTION (C) (D) OF THIS SECTION IF THE APPLICANT:
(1) HAS COMPLETED A CERTIFIED FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY; OR

(2) HAS COMPLETED A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER 10301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES 1 ARTICLE;
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues