Rodent Blaster - legal in MD and who to ask?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Well, a friend of mine is making himself a DIY version from a torch and "how to" youtube videos. He'll let me know if: 1) it works. 2) his neighbors call the police, 3) the police respond as if it were a backyard party during the lock-down, you know, with overwhelming force from numerous jurisdictions.
    Can you share the address? Asking for a friend...

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Please be careful lighting anything underground, particularly in a hole you didn't dig ( like a gopher hole) Tree roots can catch fire, smolder for long periods of time and ignite many things you never planned to burn, like your neighbors house.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Buy a couple of snakes and let them go in one or two of the holes. No more rodents

Better yet - take a walk around and pick up a (free) black snake. I do this every time the varmints show up and it solves the problem pronto. Set the snake down head end near the hole. Takes a couple of flicks of its tongue and I've never seen a snake move so fast :-) Just have to be sure not to stomp the hills for a few days to a week so my friend can get out when it's done..

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Be careful the gas can seep into basements and other structures, and you could have a boom in an unwanted place!(
    Also make sure there are no underground utilities, piping, cables, etc..
    good luck

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Please be careful lighting anything underground, particularly in a hole you didn't dig ( like a gopher hole) Tree roots can catch fire, smolder for long periods of time and ignite many things you never planned to burn, like your neighbors house.

It would really suck if lighting it off set off a larger supply of flammable.

Simply dial 811 or 1-800-257-7777 for Miss Utility.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    As a man who has seen first hand the explosive power of oxy/acet, I can say that would make me nervous.

I did some dumb things when I was young but messing with that combo ranks near the top. A gallon milk jug of it promptly removed every window on one side of a house and a garage. I probably have permanent hearing loss too.

I imagine oxy/propane isn’t quite as violent but would pucker my ring non the less

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    As a man who has seen first hand the explosive power of oxy/acet, I can say that would make me nervous.

I did some dumb things when I was young but messing with that combo ranks near the top. A gallon milk jug of it promptly removed every window on one side of a house and a garage. I probably have permanent hearing loss too.

I imagine oxy/propane isn’t quite as violent but would pucker my ring non the less

Propane and O2.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    It's illegal to "blast" in MD unless you have a training certification, a licence, and a permit for a date/time/location.

Check with the state Cooperative Extension Service about ridding yourself of the rodents. You used to be able to reach them through the University of Maryland. You might even have a local version in your county if it is rural enough.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Once you mix anything to make a chemical or physical explosion your butt is gonna be known to every ATF Agent within 26 miles. Don't do it. Use a trap.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There are at least three manufacturers of those systems, Rodenator, Varmit Getter, and Rodent Blaster, so why not start by contacting each company requesting information and asking about the legalities. They will probably at least point you in the direction of where to ask your question.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Y'all need to make a game if it. My niece's still talk about my mom (their grandmother) to this day. My mom was out gardening one fine day and while digging, saw the soil in a burrow shift. She pushed a garden hose nozzle into the ground a few feet away and started flooding the tunnels. Within minutes 2 adult and several baby moles ( or so we think - they were 1/2 the size of the 2 big ones) came out above ground whereupon my mother began whacking them over the head to kill them. My niece's, still young at the time, thought it hilarious. They had played Wack-A-Mole at Chuckee Cheese before, but thought it hilarious that their mom mom played real whack a mole. My aunt and mom went to pick peaches one time to can. I was an older teenager at the time and had chores it something, so I didn't go. When my aunt came back with my mom in a station wagon full of younger kids and a few bushels of peaches, the kids were all excited because they saw a mouse in one of the wooden bushel boxes with the peaches. I helped Mom and my aunt get the bushel boxes out, and while removing peaches, the mouse ran out and the younger kids started to chase it. It first ran one way, was cut off by one of the younger kids, so turned around and ran right past my aunt...who brought the wrath of her tennis shoe right down on it's little body and twisted her foot back and forth. While all of us were a bit stunned by that, my Aunt just looked at us and simply stated What? It's just vermin. Country women!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom