• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks. I like Vostoks, and the Amphibias seem to made a lot better in recent years. Their windup watches always seemed pretty good in the past but the self-winders were always troublesome, at least for me.

The older Amphibias I collected years ago, I bought them pretty much with the thought in mind they were more collectibles than useful watches. Even bought new they were prone to die after a while of moderate use. I'm surprised they were certified by the Soviets for military use, but then again maybe I'm not.

I was in the Soviet Union in ‘88 and ‘89. I’m not shocked. Quality wasn’t a thing.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I was in the Soviet Union in ‘88 and ‘89. I’m not shocked. Quality wasn’t a thing.

I was there for 20 days in 88. They loved American stuff then, I guess because all of their stuff was junk. Got a lot of “souvenirs” traded for American jeans and sweatshirts.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    In your case it is not a problem. You know your seller and you know the watch you are buying. But for folks who like to own one has to do a lot or research before you plunk 10K on a vintage Rolex. I know a guy(my brother) bought a 1988 16700 from Asia and it came with a Gilt dial.

There are many, many trusted sellers that are not ADs. Take a look at DavidSW.com for instance, David offers some of the finest watches available, and lots to choose from and learn about.. Zero risk there, and there are many like him in the U.S. good luck

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I was specifically referring to second hand market. Especially those that have inflated prices over MSRP. It's a well known fact that Rolex does not allow any discount to their MSRP, regardless of what's going on.

What I am saying is the market for second hand items like a Daytona or Pepsi GMT or Patek may come down. And even better deals may be found in the realm of Omega's, IWC, etc.

I disagree that most people who can afford an 8k watch will be unaffected. I cannot tell you how many people I know, myself included, that make albiet decent salaries that will save up and fork over a lot of coin for a 5-10k watch. The target buyer for a Submariner makes less money than you may think.

Hi, It is NOT true that a Rolex AD cannot discount a watch. It happens frequently. You're not going to get a discount on a new Stainless Sports watch like a Sub, GMT, Sea Dweller, etc. right now (its rare to even be able to find one to purchase w/o getting on a waiting list or have a relationship with the AD with previous purchases), however discounts can be had now at AD's when purchasing PM (precious metal) sports models like a White or Yellow Gold, or Platinum GMT, SD, or Sub, etc., or when bundling multiple watches with a PM model.

While there undoubtedly are people now who will choose to not purchase due to current events, the pricing for Rolex Sports watches in the secondary market really has not been effected by COVID-19 at this point. There are plenty of folks ready to purchase. good luck..

Last edited:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I was looking for a submariner for my son and wouldn’t pay Full retail. Got laughed at by a few dealers for asking and then stopped into Mayor’s on Lincoln Road in Miami. Walked out buying a ( sea dweller, i think) watch at a fair discount and had it sent to avoid sales tax. You just don’t know. and Mayors is a big fla chain and an AD.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was looking for a submariner for my son and wouldn’t pay Full retail. Got laughed at by a few dealers for asking and then stopped into Mayor’s on Lincoln Road in Miami. Walked out buying a ( sea dweller, i think) watch at a fair discount and had it sent to avoid sales tax. You just don’t know. and Mayors is a big fla chain and an AD.

Even what they charge for used is silly. I got a Sub in 1999. I can get $2000 more than I paid for it, no problem.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If possible always buy these items through an authorized seller. Stay away from gray markets, especially from Asia which are usually much cheaper but are franken watches.

Honestly I almost never buy from an AD. With few exceptions, watches are very much like cats in that I’d much rather have someone else take the hit to “drive it off the lot”.
    I’ve bought probably 20 watches only 4-5 of which were new. Never an issue and saved a bunch of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Even what they charge for used is silly. I got a Sub in 1999. I can get $2000 more than I paid for it, no problem.

Yep, the Rolex (and fine timepiece) market remains strong, and that certainly isn't a bad thing.... :)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was specifically referring to second hand market. Especially those that have inflated prices over MSRP. It's a well known fact that Rolex does not allow any discount to their MSRP, regardless of what's going on.

What I am saying is the market for second hand items like a Daytona or Pepsi GMT or Patek may come down. And even better deals may be found in the realm of Omega's, IWC, etc.

I disagree that most people who can afford an 8k watch will be unaffected. I cannot tell you how many people I know, myself included, that make albiet decent salaries that will save up and fork over a lot of coin for a 5-10k watch. The target buyer for a Submariner makes less money than you may think.

Perhaps but the market for Daytona’s and Pepsi GMT’s isn’t going to come down at all. People are paying stupid money for those watches and it will continue.
    New Omegas won’t come down either but with the used market there may be some decent deals here and there although I still don’t think it will be anything close to widespread

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Vostok Amphibia. Had some fun and put it on a NATO band.

Nice!
    NATO straps are awesome.
    365149d7f735441070502f193809316f.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Different strokes for different folks and all, but I've never understood the allure of putting a nice watch on a cheap piece of nylon. I can understand a nice sailcloth strap, or a nice embossed leather strap, but the NATO strap just doesn't do it for me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Watch fans, tell me about Luminox. A few years ago I bought a Luminox 5021 GN. I probably wore it a dozen times before I decided that a G-Shock was more practical for work. It went back in the box and has sat untouched since. Now it has a dead battery and I'm trying to figure out if I want to swap the battery and use it or just sell it. Are they well built watches, fairly accurate as these things go? I'm thinking this would be a candidate for a NATO strap if I keep it...

Educate me please.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Watch fans, tell me about Luminox. A few years ago I bought a Luminox 5021 GN. I probably wore it a dozen times before I decided that a G-Shock was more practical for work. It went back in the box and has sat untouched since. Now it has a dead battery and I'm trying to figure out if I want to swap the battery and use it or just sell it. Are they well built watches, fairly accurate as these things go? I'm thinking this would be a candidate for a NATO strap if I keep it...

Educate me please.

Swiss quartz movements, decently built, tritium markers were of course the main draw. ( Swiss quartz movements aren't generally all that much more expensive than other decent quartz ones). I know a number of people including me who have had trouble with them. The one I had died spontaneously after not much usage. Definitely worth a battery and a new strap. I wouldn't buy one again though. Traser makes a much better tritium watch cheaper in my humble opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom