• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    That is if you have the right attorney who can make things fall off the SAs desk or get the case on Judge Densefords docket.

And fried oysters. Can't forget the fried oysters.

Yup I have been a nut case for years. Other then the high taxes, squirrel politicians and tons of guns laws Maryland is still a neat place to live. Chris

Like traveler said... "Can't forget the fried ursters".

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    And a soft shell crab on cheap white bread, mayo, tomato and Old Bay sprinkled on top now that's "The Land of Pleasant Living". Chris

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I moved from St. Marys to Charles and am now in Calvert. Next step, is to get the heck out of Southern Maryland and Maryland itself. I am almost to the point of scratching the days off of the calendar until we leave. Drive around Charles county, anywhere near Waldorf. Reason? That is what both St. Marys and Calvert will be within 10-20 years. I have been here since '92, and have watched the migration into those two counties since then. Hell, it isn't just the migration from up the road, so many of the locals are rude, dirty, don't take care of their property or be parents to their cross eyed, slack jawed rugrats. And I haven't even mentioned the loons from Baltimore or Prince George's county that control the govt, and where all the tax dollars we pay goes to. Good luck in your move, hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    SOMD

After I retired from the Navy in 1998, I was offered a job in Lexington Park with BAE systems. Bought a house in Mechanicsville on 2.5AC right off of Ryceville Road. My neighbors "moo'd". Loved the area and living in southern Maryland. Fast forward to 2004 and met my future wife, who was born and raised in Baltimore County. Sold my "ranchette" in Mechanicsville and bought a townhouse in White Marsh. Hated every minute of it. December of last year, I retired as a Army civilian (Aberdeen) and somehow convinced my wife to move to Wicomico County - in the country and close to the beach. Found a flipped house in the cornfields of Willards on 1.01AC and surrounded by many hundreds of acres of farmland. Wonderful place to live and I have a small, 20 yard pistol range on my own property. Life is good.

Bottom line, southern Maryland is also a great place to live especially if you can find an area out in the country....

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    One thing to get used to if you live in SoMD is that you completely fall off the map to anyone else. Nobody knows where southern Maryland is except for the folks who live here. Maybe someone knows Waldorf 'as the place with the car dealers' or Solomons as a single point in space, if you order furniture or a load of shingles, the truck is gonna call you from Mechanicsville, VA or give up alltogether.

You also fall into a complete news vacuum. The three-county area is home to somewhere around 250k people, yet it is not its own media market. We are at the edge for DC, NoVa and Baltimore TV stations, but none of them has a local office. So unless something kills more than 5 people at a time, anything you see about SoMD is from press releases by either government, police or companies. There are two local news websites, smnewsnet.com and thebaynet.com as well as a rinky-dink newspaper published under three different names in the three counties (The Recorder, The Enterprise, The Independent) that use the somdnews.com domain. They dont really have news-rooms but reporter/producer/writers that chase after whatever pops up on the police scanner. When their 'reporter' is asleep, no news happens. As a result, the news reporting is chaotic and tends to focus on the things that are either released by someone with the intent to get it published 'company XYZ got a navy contract' or it is police blotter stuff. And as noted, its not just 'the folks from up the road' who create trouble. There is plenty of crime committed by the locals. Crack, meth, heroin, pot and the associated violence are color blind and the names that pop up on the blotter include the '10 county names' just as often as the notation 'from Landover'.
    Driving is a blood-sport down this way. Rt 5, 235 and US301 combine both 70mph traffic with people backing out of their driveways. And the local 2-lane roads are even worse. Two cars going 45 in opposite directions in the same lane is going to do it every time 'One priority 4, Two fly-outs'.

If you have a family reason that ties you to the area, St Marys or Calvert are not bad places to live. You just have to learn to blank out the fact that you are still in Maryland and build relationships with the folks around you.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    One thing to get used to if you live in SoMD is that you completely fall off the map to anyone else. Nobody knows where southern Maryland is except for the folks who live here.

This is why I use the term "Deep Southern Maryland." As opposed to Waldorf, which is as far south as the mental map of the denizens of the I-95 axis goes. For me, Waldorf is 35 miles up 235.

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    So true. I live in Hollywood and I really like the area. My wife's family is from the area so we've got some roots on that end. It's a great place to call home.
    Lived in Hollywood for a few years. It is indeed a nice area and relatively well preserved. Hopefully they don't build up California to the point that it leaches into the area, but that's probably quite a ways out.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Lived in Hollywood for a few years. It is indeed a nice area and relatively well preserved. Hopefully they don't build up California to the point that it leaches into the area, but that's probably quite a ways out.

Bbbut you are in the 'Technology Corridor' :lol: (a 'technology corridor' with a single ISP that offers 2up10down as their 'premium commercial service')

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Moved from Northern Virginia to
    Port Tobacco from 2000 to 2010,
    because it was changing fast and not
    for the better. (My wife's family
    arrived in Port Tobacco in 1757, so
    they were in a rut.)
    Then, Waldorf went to heck, which
    put a cork in Charles County for us.
    So, we moved to Calvert County in
    2010. Love it here...but, I can see
    the same creep beginning that
    destroyed Northern Virginia and
    Waldorf. It IS coming this way.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Come on down to southern md, and don't worry about being an implant(we don't mind implants that act normal and don't try and make southern md central md) we are used to them now.

The only implants who have any trouble are those who think owning 3 acres of land entitles them to four wheeler all over your farm and throw trash everywhere and set deer stands up any place they choose. Don't do that, act like a gentleman, don't call the cops every time you hear a noise, stay outta the beans and corn and respect others and you will be fine, welcomed even. All the bitching here is by those who don't understand the rules of civility, our way.

Hope you move soon, you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom