• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Got 7 today over at millington wma. Quite the crowd, but still had a great time. Besides the 95 degree heat. I'll put up pictures tomorrow.

How did everyone else do?

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Rain yesterday didn't help. I'm going to hunt my farm the rest of the week after I finish up work.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Zero. Myrtle Grove's "dove field" was a horrific mess. Sunflowers were dead and long gone and nothing had been bushhogged. Sat there for over an hour without hearing a shot on the whole field. Watched 6 people come and go in the time I was there. At least we got out and shot some geese early yesterday. Cuz the doves were a bust.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Zero. Myrtle Grove's "dove field" was a horrific mess. Sunflowers were dead and long gone and nothing had been bushhogged. Sat there for over an hour without hearing a shot on the whole field. Watched 6 people come and go in the time I was there. At least we got out and shot some geese early yesterday. Cuz the doves were a bust.

Sorry to hear that. Millingtons were just drying out and letting go of the seeds. Would be worth the drive over for the weekend if you want to try.

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    0, after 7 hours in the sun. went with Shraders farm. probably saw a total of 20-30 doves. most within easy guided missle distance. nephew got his first, so a great day.

nice sun tan too

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I wish I could have made it out but since I got two kids under the age of two it makes hunting tough. I wish the best of luck to you all and just hope I can make it out at least a once for doves.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    I SHOULD have limited out this evening, but the stock on my gun worked itself loose, so I kept shooting over the birds. I do owe my dog big time too, she found two birds that I never would have found, and marked a double.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    My brother went Monday and got three in a few hours. I went yesterday day to several spots and only got two. I saw a bunch but they were never within shooting distance. Did not see another hunter though, which was nice.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I may have to head up there to shoot. Is it crowded every day or was it just that day you went, Marshmallow? I really love dove hunting. Besides, I am looking at a GSP puppy and he will need something to do!

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    I may have to head up there to shoot. Is it crowded every day or was it just that day you went, Marshmallow? I really love dove hunting. Besides, I am looking at a GSP puppy and he will need something to do!

Probably just opening day. Check which days the fields are open though.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Dove hunting can be loads of fun with fast and furious shooting when the come in. Today was not the day in Millington. There were 5 or 6 other shooters and maybe that many more came after I arrived.

Before I got there they shot 4 or 5. About 1 pm 2 dozen came in at the end of the field. 2 shots and they turned right and flew across the road. The next doves were some time after 2pm. Singles, doubles and a group of 4. No more than a dozen birds. If you shoot them away from the sunflowers, you better have a good dog. I left about 3:45 sufficiently dehydrated.

I did not realize that there are decoys that you can hang from high tension power lines. It wasn't just an ordinary phone pole, it was much higher and the birds were on the highest wire. Two were realistically perched on the wire another 7 were hanging upside down like some gruesome parody of the hanging of the John Wilkes Booth gang. A couple other hunters were bitchin about the mess Monday's "ignants" left: ammo boxes, water bottles and spent shells.

I did not kill any doves.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've never been dove hunting. This thread makes me want to go bad!

It's great fun but bring plenty ammo, they are tough to hit and fly fast!!

You have got to try it cause then you will be hooked. It's one of my favorite ways of hunting

Like Bigtdc said: Bring plenty of ammo. If you have never hunted them and especially if you aren't a shotgunner, it's pretty easy to shoot a box or more of ammo and get nothing. My son at age 12 shot a box and a half getting nothing his first time out. He was new to wing shooting, but could hit 12 -14 at trap after some practice. Second time out, he shot his first dove on about his 6th shot (3rd bird he shot at). My first time I shot most of a box and only took 2. One thing to learn is to pick your shots and make sure they are well within range before shooting. A novice will often shoot at birds at or near the extreme range of a shotgun lead to a lot of misses or, worse yet, making non-lethal hits. Dove's are tough to hit. They can fly at speeds up to 55 mph and can change direction rapidly if they spot you.

Man, my dove hunting buddy didn't offer me an invite this year. I might have to give him a call and get out there!

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Slower day than yesterday. Only got four. Was focusing on getting my buddy his first. Luckily he got two.

Dec 31, 2012
    Dove hunting was one of the best memories of hunting with my brother. We'd find two adjoining fields with some trees in the middle for overshot protection and blam away for hours. The whole time calling the incoming birds to each other when they crossed. Particularly fun for me because I was kicking it with a single shot breech loader. That was some mighty fast handwork to reload and shoot multiple times for each flyover.
    Now I need to find a place to drops some doves!

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    Shot 15 on Monday and 10 yesterday at our spot in Glen Arm. Got the Mojo Dove and it is a dove magnet, they can to it fast and on a string! Going to give them a few days and get back after them

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom