• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lady Sunshine

Apr 21, 2013
    This was the MSP's position. I guess they say one thing ,but changed there minds. Some individual transfers where told to hold.

Thomas Williams -State Police- <thomas.williams@maryland.gov>
    4:56 PM (0 minutes ago)

to xxxxx
    Mr. Thomas
    The current backlog for the firearms background check is 50 days. The law
    states that the state has seven days to complete the required checks. On
    the eighth day if a dealer has not heard from MSP the dealer may release
    the firearm without penalty.Most dealers have decided to hold onto the guns pending the completed

checks and we applaud their patience.
    The Maryland General Assembly took action by providing us additional
    manpower and technology to help alleviate the problem. But it takes time
    to hire qualified people and purchase the right software and equipment. We
    are working on it. The problem creating the backlog is a combination of
    record high volume gun sales, old technology and limited qualified
    personnel.
    If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me
    directly."

I guess some dealers ran out of patience.

Unfortunately their position on this does not help anyone purchasing, selling or transferring.

The 50 day backlog I can only assume is for the application to get a first look, as today is my 70th day. Ten weeks is absolutely ridiculous.

Considering the last thing I read was further reviews was on February 26 and I am a purchase and fax date of March 2, I believe I am still at least 2 weeks away. That puts me well into the 80 day range. :mad54:

All the excuses can be made about technology, manpower or influx of applications, which holds no water with me personally. IF the state of Maryland would forward their records to be included in the NICS maybe, just maybe this process wouldn't seem like an anal probing.

Anyway, you all have a great weekend, and to all the mothers and fathers who have to be both mother and father, Happy Mother's Day.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    80 days so far. Is there a # I can call at MSP?

You'll have to wait until monday, they won't answer on the weekend. Ms. Brock's number is 410-653-4334. She is the best person to talk to (she will actually talk to you and give you your status)

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    Well, if I don't get to pick up my 3/13 today it looks like i'll hit the 60 day club :( I picked up my last purchase at 45 days (2/14 - 4/1), and the FFL would not let me take the other handguns (even though I was just ND). I wasn't going to buy anything else but i'm thinking I might make a trip to OnTarget and buy another just to support them.

The way to get these other FFLs to do the right thing is by doing business with their competitors instead.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    54 days, still no word.. This is getting old.

*** Journalism is about covering stories... with a pillow... until they stop moving. - David Burge 5/10/13 ***

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    You wouldn't you would have to sell it at a loss assuming you failed to get the disapproved cleaned up but that is true at all gun shops once you sign the form accepting the transfer the guns goes out of there book the only way that they or any FLL can accept it back is if it goes on there books as a new transfer at that point it is a used gun not worth what a new gun is.

Thanks
    Robert

Of course I would not have made the purchase and paid in full had I thought I would be disapproved. I just want to cover my butt. I happen to have a friend that in the off chance I were disapproved, would gladly pay full price to buy it off me. My question is, do you guys think I would be able to do legal transfer to him? To add, I received an instant NICS "proceed" when I got impatient after about 30 days of waiting and purchased an m&p 1522, walked out in 30 mins with it in hand. I'm in review now, and I don't see any sense in waiting another 3 weeks when my ffl will release to me. Thoughts?

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    Of course I would not have made the purchase and paid in full had I thought I would be disapproved. I just want to cover my butt. I happen to have a friend that in the off chance I were disapproved, would gladly pay full price to buy it off me. My question is, do you guys think I would be able to do legal transfer to him? To add, I received an instant NICS "proceed" when I got impatient after about 30 days of waiting and purchased an m&p 1522, walked out in 30 mins with it in hand. I'm in review now, and I don't see any sense in waiting another 3 weeks when my ffl will release to me. Thoughts?

It's in an interesting scenario. I would think that you should be able to sell the firearm any way you choose. If you got disapproved by MSP and they didn't run the gun through NICS then it should still be able to be sold as new (I would assume), it is also possible that you would still be able to sell it as new even if it went through NICS. Even if you get "disapproved" you still OWN the firearm (if you paid in full, or purchased off the internet), your disapproval is a possession issue. You should be able to work with the FFL to facilitate a transfer. They are going to charge you for that too, they might also charge you a storage fee for holding the firearm before you sell it (from the time you got disapproved until the time someone else fills out paperwork).

This seems to be what the liberals cling to when they say "internet purchases". Sure anybody can buy anything on the internet, you just are not going to posses it until the FFL transfer is complete. Average Joe public doesn't understand the difference and keeps repeating the line that "we need background checks on internet purchases".

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    It's in an interesting scenario. I would think that you should be able to sell the firearm any way you choose. If you got disapproved by MSP and they didn't run the gun through NICS then it should still be able to be sold as new (I would assume), it is also possible that you would still be able to sell it as new even if it went through NICS. Even if you get "disapproved" you still OWN the firearm (if you paid in full, or purchased off the internet), your disapproval is a possession issue. You should be able to work with the FFL to facilitate a transfer. They are going to charge you for that too, they might also charge you a storage fee for holding the firearm before you sell it (from the time you got disapproved until the time someone else fills out paperwork).

This seems to be what the liberals cling to when they say "internet purchases". Sure anybody can buy anything on the internet, you just are not going to posses it until the FFL transfer is complete. Average Joe public doesn't understand the difference and keeps repeating the line that "we need background checks on internet purchases".

Thanks for your input and I agree with your thinking. I guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    I actually got someone at the firearms registration office to answer the phone today. She told me she was not able to look up anyone's status and that none of the "sworn" were there. I asked if Ms. Brock was in today and she said NONE of the actual employees of the licensing division were there. There goes that whole "7-days a week 21 hours a day" nonsense. She told me she was a temporary employee, what she was actually doing I couldn't tell you. Said she couldn't even tell me what days they are processing. 410-653-4500 option 4 then 1. If anybody else wants to try and get different information.

FYI I called Bart's this morning (waiting on a 3/13 transfer). They didn't even ask my name when I asked about my application. Just said they call when it comes in. They also refuse to release without a NICS number. Even to those with recent ND (I just had one last month).

RollinCoal

May 1, 2013
    Moco md
    It's all about excuses from msp yes the rate that eveyone is purchasing is very high but holly hell they need to change there system or all shops fils need to be able to be able to have the insta check system in they shops to avoid this crazy wait time frame just food of thought. If they are only on 2/25-2/26 I have a mother few weeks this Fing blows for my 4/7 that's in the crap pile . Here's hoping they hurry the hell up . On a side note nice win To the caps last night. Happy Saturday eveyone here's hoping for msp to hurry the hell up

RollinCoal

May 1, 2013
    Moco md
    I actually got someone at the firearms registration office to answer the phone today. She told me she was not able to look up anyone's status and that none of the "sworn" were there. I asked if Ms. Brock was in today and she said NONE of the actual employees of the licensing division were there. There goes that whole "7-days a week 21 hours a day" nonsense. She told me she was a temporary employee, what she was actually doing I couldn't tell you. Said she couldn't even tell me what days they are processing. 410-653-4500 option 4 then 1. If anybody else wants to try and get different information.

All I can say is WTF. :mad54: damn liars :mad54::banghead::banghead:

SH27

Apr 22, 2013
    Just wanted to give an update. Was Feb 28th in review just got the call last night for my xds45 from gun connection!

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    After my FFL's prodding of Rose at MSP on Thursday 5/9 about my review, I FINALLY GOT my ND on Friday 3/10 - 73 days after they received the paperwork. :party29: On the return paperwork, there was a yellow post-it note with the date 3/7. I asked what it was and why it was there. The guy at the FFL said that it was the day that it SHOULD have been approved. I said "and that was going to help, how?" He laughed and said, "it doesn't help to get the gun any sooner, but it does keep us in the loop for knowing when it should normally be ND and using that date to 'track the application' in house." :thumbsup:

I didn't want to bust anyone's cahones at the FFL, as they have all been very cooperative and understanding. They did everything they could to release the gun, but could not before they got the NICS number back from MSP. Anyone who violates this is putting their FFL License in SERIOUS JEOPARDY.

A lot of people think that they can "work around" the MSP review and get their regulated firearms sooner, but listen up:

Reason for this is simple (and it really doesn't have much to do with MSP):

Say the FFL releases the regulated firearm to you BEFORE they receive he NICS number back from the MSP. The Almighty ATF comes into their store and does an audit................Whoops! Houston - we have a problem. And these boys are as serious as a heart attack. They come into your store and are all about business----NO JOKE. Your paperwork better be in order and check out with your inventory, or you are in deep sh*t!

ATF says, "Where's the NICS number for the handgun that was sold?" UH oh! :shocking:
    No NICS number and no regulated firearm in the store. Guess what?

:nono: NO more FFL, no second chances! FFL Loses their License (ATF closes the store and Locks the doors. (and the FFL is fined and possibly jailed). That's before they come after you. That's the LAW and if you believe ANYONE that tells you that you can sign a waiver - they are telling you wrong! It's called Breaking the Law.

BUT WAIT! There are a couple of "workarounds" :

1) Get your delegate to start a petition to get the NICS Review responsibility removed from the MSP and into the hands of the FFLs. (good luck with that) :banghead: or;
    2) Move to another State. :banghead:

It's sad, but true. (and I STILL have 3 more in review right now) :(

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    After my FFL's prodding of Rose at MSP on Thursday 5/9 about my review, I FINALLY GOT my ND on Friday 3/10 - 73 days after they received the paperwork. On the return paperwork, there was a yellow post-it note with the date 3/7. I asked what it was and why it was there. The guy at the FFL said that it was the day that it SHOULD have been approved. I said "and that was going to help, how?" He laughed and said, "it doesn't help to get the gun any sooner, but it does keep us in the loop for knowing when it should normally be ND and using that date to 'track the application' in house."

I didn't want to bust anyone's cahones at the FFL, as they have all been very cooperative and understanding. They did everything they could to release the gun, but could not before they got the NICS number back from MSP.

A lot of people think that they can "work around" the MSP review and get their regulated firearms sooner, but listen up:

FFL's who have submitted regulated firearms paperwork to the MSP must have the NICS Number BEFORE they can release the firearm to the buyer. Reason for this is simple (and it really doesn't have anything to do with MSP):

Say the FFL releases the regulated firearm to you BEFORE they receive he NICS number back from the MSP. The Almighty ATF comes into their store and does an audit................Whoops! Houston - we have a problem.

ATF says, "Where's the NICS number for the handgun that was sold?" UH oh!
    No NICS number and no regulated firearm in the store. NO FFL, no second chances! FFL Loses their License and is fined and Jailed. That's the LAW and if you believe ANYONE that tells you that you can sign a waiver - they are telling you wrong! It's called Breaking the Law. There are a couple of "workarounds":

1) Get your delegate to start a petition to get the NICS Review responsibility removed from the MSP and into the hands of the FFLs. (good luck with that) or;
    2) Move to another State.

While I understand what you are saying, that isn't truly the case. NICS requires 3 days for a response prior to the release of a firearm. MSP is the point of contact in MD for handguns. The 3 day period actually begins upon the submission to the MSP. The fact that MD has a stricter requirement, the Federal requirement is automatically met for that transaction after 7 days. While I understand those FFL's that choose to wait for the paperwork to come back with the NTN, they are not required to do so. This has been verbally confirmed with ATF reps at some FFL's. Some FFL's are releasing after 7 days with no other requirements (On Target). Some are releasing with a DC Letter, LEO's, Current Carry Permit, or a NICS run by FFL for Long Guns (Shooters Discount). Others are releasing to current customers that have recently received a ND and know their customer well from multiple purchases (Engage). These FFL's have had long discussions with their attorney's and have come to their own conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom