• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I own one O/U already, a 60 year old Browning Superposed. If I win a certain Gun Broker auction this week, I will have another. I looked at this particular shotgun at Cabelas because I happen to like the Browning I own now.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I own one O/U already, a 60 year old Browning Superposed. If I win a certain Gun Broker auction this week, I will have another. I looked at this particular shotgun at Cabelas because I happen to like the Browning I own now.

If I was given a choice between the Superposed or the Benelli 828 I’d picked the Superposed hands down. While not a “serious competition gun” it’s a great older gun that shouldn’t give you any problems. If something does break you shouldn’t have a problem getting it fixed. If your gunsmith can’t fix an old Browning find a new gunsmith. When I was a kid the Superposed was THE gun to have. Some other older guns that are good include the Winchester Super X, Winchester 101, Winchester model 12, Remington 1100, Beretta 303, Remington 32 and 3200, Ithaca 37, Browning BT99. For a casual clay shooter any of these would be vastly better than some cheap junk made today.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The longer barrels on an o/u make it a PITA to load them in a pit blind or any other enclosed area. One of the reasons I went with a semi-auto for hunting. Heck, using a semi-auto for sporting clays too. Now, an o/u is a great gun for upland/doves, waterfowling when you are not in an enclosed blind, sporting clays, skeet, etc. Think the only place I would not use a sporting o/u is at trap. I have a dedicated trap o/u and then a couple for sporting clays/skeet that rarely see the light of day nowadays.

Granted, I think you already have one or two semis. lol End of the day, this o/u would be a pretty good all around gun, if there is such a thing. Other than it being a Browning, it would do you well.

Starting 2019 off like 2018 went out. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You listened to ElFasko with a crowd pleasing ~72 NSCA average?

Kidding of course.

No reputable dealer of sporting guns would suggest 30's for anyone other than a women or small child. Or, possibly someone looking for a dedicated upland gun.

There is nothing wrong with someone going out a few times a year to shoot trap (or whatever) with a beater 28"gun. If someone intends on being competitive 32" is the standard for swing/balance. This is the epidome of "buy once cry once". I have never in my life heard of someone who went from 32's down. Whereas, just about everyone I've ever shot with came FROM 28's and 30's UP.

That is how they get people to buy more guns. In 5 years, we will be back to shorter barrels because it is easier to get them swinging and over the course of an entire day of shooting, the lighter weight saves the arms from shaking. lol Not trying to argue, just trying to come up with the next selling point after everybody has their 32" guns and there are a bunch of used 28" and 30" guns on the racks.

I've had 30" barrels on my 682 since 2002 and my 12 and 20 gauge 391's both have 28" barrels.

Really funny how what is in vogue today is out of vogue in 5 to 10 years.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't hunt turkeys with a long barreled shotgun ;). We'll see what happens with the auction.

Also, I'm still on the lookout for a 28 gauge double. Maybe another Stevens if I can find one that's not crazy priced or too beat up.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    CX test drive

Not sure where you are in NoVa but I know Bull Run Shooting Center just added some CXs to the rental rack. Didn’t check bbl length, was a 28 gauge day for me. Think it’s $11/day to rent, maybe a cheap test drive.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That is how they get people to buy more guns. In 5 years, we will be back to shorter barrels because it is easier to get them swinging and over the course of an entire day of shooting, the lighter weight saves the arms from shaking. lol Not trying to argue, just trying to come up with the next selling point after everybody has their 32" guns and there are a bunch of used 28" and 30" guns on the racks.

I've had 30" barrels on my 682 since 2002 and my 12 and 20 gauge 391's both have 28" barrels.

Really funny how what is in vogue today is out of vogue in 5 to 10 years.

I disagree, the sport progresses as does the equipment. We joke about chokes quite a bit, all of us were caught up at one point or another with a full set of 8 chokes,.... insanity.

Now were shooting along side guys with fixed chokes @ Mod and IMOD. Smoking targets and no choice in constriction.

Are you saying my parachute pants and neon headband aren't still in fashion?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I disagree, the sport progresses as does the equipment. We joke about chokes quite a bit, all of us were caught up at one point or another with a full set of 8 chokes,.... insanity.

Now were shooting along side guys with fixed chokes @ Mod and IMOD. Smoking targets and no choice in constriction.

Are you saying my parachute pants and neon headband aren't still in fashion?

Yeah, your parachute pants and neon headband are no longer in style, just like an o/u with 26" barrels. However the parachute pants will cover your rear, the headband will still soak up sweat, and the o/u with 26" barrels will still go bang and break targets.

See, we agree.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Not sure where you are in NoVa but I know Bull Run Shooting Center just added some CXs to the rental rack. Didn’t check bbl length, was a 28 gauge day for me. Think it’s $11/day to rent, maybe a cheap test drive.

That is hilarious. I think Jim shoots at Bull Run and has been looking for a place to rent a Browning. If it was a snake......

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

That's where I shoot for clay stuff, I'll check it out next time I'm there. But they do require that I use their ammunition when renting a shotgun.

That is hilarious. I think Jim shoots at Bull Run and has been looking for a place to rent a Browning. If it was a snake......

They keep the rental guns in a separate room in the pro shop so I don't really see them unless I'm stalking, err looking at other guns :D My Benelli doesn't appreciate it when I look at other guns and sends my shots wide at the next station.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Sent a pm, hope it helps. I’m out there most Sundays so am sure we’ve crossed paths. They’re not putting the new CXs out much, still too pretty for the hard life of a rental (dropped, banged against the rail at wobble, etc) but if you ask nicely...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sent a pm, hope it helps. I’m out there most Sundays so am sure we’ve crossed paths. They’re not putting the new CXs out much, still too pretty for the hard life of a rental (dropped, banged against the rail at wobble, etc) but if you ask nicely...

The plan was to go to Bull Run yesterday, but I got a hold of the guy who runs the auctions and got the go ahead to pick up on Saturday if I won. I ended up going to Duffy's Saturday afternoon to pick up my Superposed. No way was I going today, and BRSC is closed on Mondays :mad54: so I haven't made it out there yet. Thanks for the heads up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's nice to have the day off. I went to Cabela's today to check out the Browning and the Beretta. For how I mount the shotgun, I prefer the Browning over the Beretta. Definitely fit better, too. Until I am willing to part with $3000+ on a clays shotgun, I'll stick with Browning for OUs.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I bet when you mounted the Beretta you were seeing a ton of rib. Most people who think Browning fits better feel like they are sitting way high on a Beretta O/U.

That's my main issue with them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I bet when you mounted the Beretta you were seeing a ton of rib. Most people who think Browning fits better feel like they are sitting way high on a Beretta O/U.

That's my main issue with them.

Yep, the Browning has a short LOP for me and too much drop in the comb. Even with the Beretta and Benelli semis, I have to use the adjustment plate that gives me the least amount of drop at comb. You'd think these Beretta and Benelli guns are built for Americans of Italian descent.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yep, the Browning has a short LOP for me and too much drop in the comb. Even with the Beretta and Benelli semis, I have to use the adjustment plate that gives me the least amount of drop at comb. You'd think these Beretta and Benelli guns are built for Americans of Italian descent.
    Weird isn't it....

If you've ever mounted a 425 (or older Citori) you may find that they were less aggressive with DAC and DAH back then. Seems like when they built the 625s and up they really started dropping them.

If you mounted the gun I shoot now you'd probably be looking at the barrel selector.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Weird isn't it....

If you've ever mounted a 425 (or older Citori) you may find that they were less aggressive with DAC and DAH back then. Seems like when they built the 625s and up they really started dropping them.

If you mounted the gun I shoot now you'd probably be looking at the barrel selector.

I shot a K80 about 15 years ago, just before I met my wife. It didn't even come close to fitting me, so it felt meh. Still broke clays with it, but it was some hard work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom