• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Does anyone here keep a rifle on their boat for emergencies?
    Let's suppose someone wanted to sail around the world on their sailboat over a course of a year or two and will sail through the South China Sea, Strait of Malacca, Indian Ocean, and by the Horn of Africa. What rifle would be a good choice for someone who's more a sailor than a shooter? How do you secure the rifle and ammo when coming into a foreign port and avoiding getting in trouble with the local police?
    I'm thinking an AK-47 would be a good choice because of the caliber, reliability of the rifle, and the availability of magazines and ammo around the world. The only emergencies the rifle would be handy for would be encounters with pirates.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Country rules vary widely about whats permitted in their territorial waters. I think a Shotgun is your best bet for minor issues and can be at least explained as a signaling and utility arm as well. . Make sure you sale around NJ.

I would not want to sail into certain waters with an AK47 plus if you think you are going to go Rambo on some pirates with one person and a gun you are sadly mistaken they will likely have you for lunch (possibly literally).

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have built various parts to help hide boat guns, I mostly see mini 14 in Stainless, and mainly for island hopping cats.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    In case you really need to signal for help, or repel boarders.

convert

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I used to keep an H&R single shot stainless 12 gauge on board. For shooting flares, of course. :D

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I would think the best firearm you can not feel too bad about losing should it be discovered by the authorities and confiscated. To me that would be something in the SKS category of rifles and Maverick Arms or RIA series of shotguns.

That also assumes you're not confiscated along with the firearm and jailed.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Yep, stainless 12 ga is the way to go. Can signal, shoot flares, shoot seabirds for food, and if you aren't a trained sniper, taking a shot off a rolling deck at any target isn't high probability... go with a shotty.

12 ga SS, short barrel, smooth bore, non choked, pump action with a folding telescopic stock with a light and loaded w/ 00 buck shot. They call these deck sweepers for a reason :-). Back in the day, a 500A Mossberg, Rem 870 tactical etc w/ the 8 shot extended mage was a nice tool to repel boarders. Today, I'd look at a magazine fed one for rapid reloading.

I would check to ensure that it is safe to shoot a flare out your gun and avoid full choked barrels.

Check the regs of the country you plan to visit. It is my understanding that you could have the Coast Guard seal a case containing a firearm and that would satisfy countries with strict gun control laws. So long as the seal is not broken you are good to go.

Good luck.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I agree with JimBob on the RIA M5 for $200. Be aware that the law will ask if you weapons on board in case you get stopped. Also, while I have not boated to foreign lands, be damn careful about what you have on board because you can get in a lot of trouble.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Mossberg used to make a Just in Case marine version. SS with a packing tube. really cool item.

Attachments

• 50656-590-JIC-SHOCKWAVE-with-Tube.jpg
      50656-590-JIC-SHOCKWAVE-with-Tube.jpg
      33.7 KB · Views: 395

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Mossberg used to make a Just in Case marine version. SS with a packing tube. really cool item.

I would want a stock. A couple slugs to the waterline of a fiberglass hulled boat chasing you could make their day very bad indeed.

For boarders I have been becoming a fan of these.

s7_218434_imageset_03

My HD shottie is loaded with 00 buck (2 rds) followed by these (2 rds) etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom