• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have all the parts for one. No clue when it’ll get built. Wife is pissed enough at my gun collection. So it could be years. Aero upper and lower, BCA 18” fluted HBAR barrel, Brownell nitrided BCG, AIM Sport 13.5” free float Handguard. Those are the main bits. I have all the wee bits too.

I’d been planning to put it all together this spring, but she wants me to cut down the collection right now. So it’ll stay pieces till the pressure subsides.

When you want to put it together, let me know. We can lap the upper, before seating the barrel and mounting the barrel nut.

I still have that optic for you in the garage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When you want to put it together, let me know. We can lap the upper, before seating the barrel and mounting the barrel nut.

I still have that optic for you in the garage.

Thanks! I swear one of these days. Life’s just crap right now for being busy and having things come out of left field.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    I’m itching to get a BCG, CH, and rail so I can shoot it. Once I got the barrel mocked up in place I kinda got excited

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Yes, AR10s/AR308s can absolutely be sub-MOA.

I'm resurrecting this dead thread for 2 reasons:

1) I'm pretty full of myself right now and am feeling a bit cocky.
    2) Wanted to give a shout-out to Ed Shell who, just by looking at pics of my targets, told me what I was doing wrong and how to do better. He was spot on!

I'm using the "On Target" app to measure groups, so, unless I'm using that s/w incorrectly here's what we have:

In the attached pic, the top 2 rows are 5 shot groups with my handloads. They average just over 3/4 MOA, even with that fluky group in the 2nd row.

Ignore the 3rd row. I tried some 175g FGMM rounds. I'd say my rifle doesn't like them all that much.

The 4th row is 5 shot groups of FGMM 168g rounds. Average just under 1/2 MOA. Worst was 0.685 MOA, best was 0.343 MOA. (The dime is not hiding a flyer)

Also, Clandestine's recommendations for replacement parts for the ones I bunged up after a major jam most probably helped too.

Now I need to figure out why my handloads aren't as good as FGMM. Maybe some more OCW tinkering is needed. Maybe closer attention to detail.

This forum is such a great place for help & advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AR308.jpg
      AR308.jpg
      99.3 KB · Views: 305

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Yes, AR10s/AR308s can absolutely be sub-MOA.

Also, Clandestine's recommendations for replacement parts for the ones I bunged up after a major jam most probably helped too.

This forum is such a great place for help & advice

Could you give a quick run-down of what parts?

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Black Hole Weaponry Barrels are are pretty sick. I have 7 AR’s 10’s and 15’s six of them are Black hole weaponry. There is a reason why. They shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    An AR 10 is on the list. Which brand AR10 out of the box is something close to or meeting MOA accuracy?

Patriot Ordinance Factory DI Revolution. Research it, pretty amazing. At 6.8lbs and the same OAL as an AR15 this AR10 looks, weighs, handles and shoots as easy as an AR15 but packs a 308.

MReid

Nov 12, 2019
    I did the exact ssme thing you are doing. I ended up selling my first go around at a significant loss. If you want a 1000 yard gun, I highly suggest going with a bolt gun. Semi automatic rifles are great for 600 or so yards and In.

Im not say it's impossible to do it with a semi auto, you will just spend a lot less time, money, and frustration making a bolt gun shoot over a semi auto.

Feel free to hit me back if you have an questions or would like any input on putting a rifle together.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I did the exact ssme thing you are doing. I ended up selling my first go around at a significant loss. If you want a 1000 yard gun, I highly suggest going with a bolt gun. Semi automatic rifles are great for 600 or so yards and In.

Im not say it's impossible to do it with a semi auto, you will just spend a lot less time, money, and frustration making a bolt gun shoot over a semi auto.

Feel free to hit me back if you have an questions or would like any input on putting a rifle together.
    When it was time for me to put together an AR in 308, I went with a 16" barrel and a fairly light gun because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom