• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    On a lark, I thought I'd see what one of these ASI shoots is all about. Exactly as described by others, it's a very non-competitive, low-stress, noob-friendly, cheerful affair. In years past, I got pretty well into CAS. While it was always a good time, I started getting good enough to feel the nagging siren song of the competitive urge. Poof, lost some of the fun. Now some years later and starting to carry here in MD, I'm feeling the need to once again not just stand in a lane and punch paper.

In looking around for a shooting environment that will let me move and think about my draw and feel some of the timer's pressure on my handling (while not being a drag on people trying to compete for real in more serious events), I also wanted something that lets my likes-to-shoot wife ease into something a little more interesting. I was delighted to find a broad spectrum of skills and severl ladies enjoying the ASI match I attended last night.

I enjoyed the easy-going way that Ron and Hal handled the variety of experience levels in front of them. And will certainly be back with Mrs. Occam and probably a couple of friends. Good fun, and always learn something watching others and putting myself in a new situation. Shot with my carry rig, and landed everything where I wanted it to go, though, so maybe I should quit while I'm ahead :)

Anyway: thanks to ASI for understanding that there's demand for a less intense competitive environment, and creating it. Good call!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    ASI is a great concept. GSSF is another positive, safety focused, new shooter friendly avenue to explore the lower-intensity shooting sports. I gave up on IDPA a while ago. My only occasional "pistol" games (I am primarily a rifle shooter) in recent years have been steel challenge, falling steel events (an outlaw game), and a couple of outlaw defensive type matches. I would suggest that, if you like a fun day shooting stuff with like minded people, you try some falling steel and outlaw defensive games. Who doesn't like shooting steel? I suggest outlaw defensive rather than IDPA as they tend to be less rule-heavy with a concentration on safety and thinking creatively. One great one stipulated that shoot-throughs counted for BOTH score and penalty. That means you can cap two baddies with one round.....but that background no-shoots pose an even greater challenge!

I firmly believe that MOST shooters are the greatest people you could want to meet and even many of those at the top of the game are more than happy to help out new shooters. That's what keeps the sport alive.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I like IDPA, but I’m never getting into the real competition stuff...I’m too old, so I just compete with myself.

Where are the ASI shoots happening?

This one was up at Hendershot’s in Hagerstown. I understand they also have them at Heritage. Hendershot’s sounds like they’ll be hosting them regularly, next one on the 19th of this month. I spent more time driving round trip than I did shooting, but it was worth it!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Yep, Heritage in Frederick runs them on Wednesday nights. Ditto that they're fun and very low key. They are also starting back up their carbine matches once a month. Same ASI format, but with carbines (that's my Capitan Obvious statement of the night).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Check out some of the falling steel events in southern pa, Bikebreath. PNTC in west by god would be a haul for you but they do some with very high target/round count. The clubs in the York area would be a much easier drive for you, though. IIRC, York IWLA did one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom