• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    So when I purchased two of the glock lowers I knew one would be a 9mm and the other I was thinking maybe a 40.... But then I seen (glock32) and wondered what that was and of course after looking it up it's a 357sig.

Now I'm intrigued because I love the legendary 357 out of a revolver and now im wondering just how good the 357sig is?

I'd love something in a double stack that'll perform somewhat like a 357? Do any of you own and shoot 357sig?

Is it a more potent round than the 40? Is recoil about the same as a 40 out of a glock?

I'm pretty much looking for some more sound advice and knowledge because I was going to go with the 40 but people say it really doesn't out perform the modern 9mm ammo, so now I'm thinking 357sig for the second build.....

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Why not both. You will only need a barrel in 357 sig if you build a .40 or vice versa. Mags are interchangeable.

Real news dies, fake news thrives.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    below just comparing target loads from federal. 357 sig definitely has the energy advantage and is my favorite carry round (glock 32) and HD round (glock 31). as we all know though, bullet type and shot placement are more critical than actual caliber.

9mm 357sig40S&W
    bullet124 125 180
    veloc 1120 1350 1000

pf 139 169 180
    energy345 506 400

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland

Just stick with 9mm.

If you want to have something with more punch buy a 10mm.

Agreed. When my ego was in full swing I had to have a 45 then 40. Now 9mm is the way to go.

One most will be more accurate with it and
    Two with modern defensive ammo it does the job.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I have quite a few 9mm already though and it's probably my favorite round to shoot consistently since it's affordable. I just wanted to add another caliber to my collection. But since bound said it's just a barrel swap difference I guess it really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

My SD weapon seems to be which ever one I sit on the night stand that night though. So I know at the end of the day they all work, I'm just into having difference calibers for different experiences now. Not so much SD as they all pretty much will get the job done.... Even my wife's 22lr many of you guy's helped convince me too get her awhile back.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just stick with 9mm.

If you want to have something with more punch buy a 10mm.

If Poly80 gets the 20/21 frames out - that's what most of us building them would do. I'd love to add another .45 or even 10mm to the line-up, w/out bending over and submitting to the HQL. :)

Until then, .357SIG is the route I went.

OP, the recoil isn't even a factor for me in the P80 19-style frame. It shoots just like anything else, just a little more noise/flash.

The round has it's pros/cons - just like anything else, so really it comes down to whether or not you want to travel down that rabbit hole.

17211922_10212511528012618_5367407234272882171_o.jpg

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    below just comparing target loads from federal. 357 sig definitely has the energy advantage and is my favorite carry round (glock 32) and HD round (glock 31). as we all know though, bullet type and shot placement are more critical than actual caliber.

9mm 357sig40S&W
    bullet124 125 180
    veloc 1120 1350 1000

pf 139 169 180
    energy345 506 400

Good stuff there, seems like the 357sig is the hotter round of the 3 for sure.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If Poly80 gets the 20/21 frames out - that's what most of us building them would do. I'd love to add another .45 or even 10mm to the line-up, w/out bending over and submitting to the HQL. :)

Until then, .357SIG is the route I went.

OP, the recoil isn't even a factor for me in the P80 19-style frame. It shoots just like anything else, just a little more noise/flash.

The round has it's pros/cons - just like anything else, so really it comes down to whether or not you want to travel down that rabbit hole.

View attachment 210095

I definitely don't mind the noise and flash, I welcome it. I love big booms.

Nice gun by the way.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you want a 357sig buy a G29 and then get an aftermarket barrel in 357Sig, then get a .40S&W barrel too. Best of all three worlds.
    Three calibers quickly with only a barrel change, mags are the same. But be prepaired if you don't reload for the extra expense of the 357's I think they can be pretty pricey.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    But be prepared if you don't reload for the extra expense of the 357's I think they can be pretty pricey.

yeah it's not ammo you want to hit the range with everyday, but lately it seems to have really come down, last i got was $16/box delivered (case qty) for cci/speer fmj.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    1K rounds of Speer 125gr, under $325 shipped.

*I'm down to the last 250 rounds out of 2K I had ordered.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    The SD stuff I seen was very expensive, 30 buck's per box of 20 rounds...... Sheesh.

Haven't looked up FMJ yet.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    And from a reloaders perspective, it's not a favorite (IMO).

Bottle-necked pistol rounds, such fun.

I'm not having any issues, yet. I run all my cases through a bulge buster then into the reloading setup without any lube and haven't had any issues yet. My 80% build is one of my best off hand shooters, cuts one ragged hole at 10 yards and under with my reloads.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If you want a 357sig buy a G29 and then get an aftermarket barrel in 357Sig, then get a .40S&W barrel too. Best of all three worlds.
    Three calibers quickly with only a barrel change, mags are the same. But be prepaired if you don't reload for the extra expense of the 357's I think they can be pretty pricey.

The only thing I wonder about with the 10mm is is it overkill for SD to the point it's flying through the bad guy and through walls and etc hitting somebody else since it's so powerful...... As a fun range toy I can see it fitting in though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm not having any issues, yet. I run all my cases through a bulge buster then into the reloading setup without any lube and haven't had any issues yet. My 80% build is one of my best off hand shooters, cuts one ragged hole at 10 yards and under with my reloads.

It was just my opinion. :)

I go thru enough work to keep the .260 fed, and I barely get enough free time these days to do that. Adding in another bottle-neck cartridge just isn't my game plan for now.

Have all my brass, but if I do start rolling those - it's going to be a complete secondary set-up that'll be caliber specific. Gets old having to swap out turret heads and setting the case trimmer up for diff't lengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom