• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    I'm building my first AR and trying to do research has my head spinning and eyes crossing. I have a good idea of what I want and am asking for some help to see if I'm chasing a unicorn that farts rainbows.

The sole purpose of this is going to be range fun at ACG. That mean's nothing past 200 yards. I want to run a free floated barrel because I prefer the way that it looks. Research has led to me a 1/8 twist, 16" barrel and the consensus seems to be mid length gas system. I'm not planning on shooting much other than 55gr.

My initial budget was going to be around $125 for the barrel. I belive this is said the unicorn as I can't seem to find them for less than $250.

Here are my questions...

1 - can I go with 16" and carbine length gas system (lots in my price point) on an A2 fixed stock / rifle buffer kit (either LuthAR MBA 1 or MBA 2) and avoid problems with it cycling?

2 - there are a few 18" barrels with mid length gas in my budget window so does it make more sense to go that route even though I don't need the 18" barrel?

3 - for a strict range plinker, should I be looking at $250 barrels? i'm trying to keep total cost below $850 not including optics.

thanks in advance. any and all insight will be appreciated

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sure. My 20" Stoner (midwayusa) HBAR 1:8 .223 wylde barrel shoots sub-MOA with a couple of different match ammos and it ran me about $136.

The 16" HBAR I got from Brownell's (I forget the brand, but relatively odd name brand) for under $90 on sale is about 3MOA at 100 using a 3MOA red dot and bulk 55gr. I suspect it would tighten up by at least an inch with a scope.

Classic firearms seems to be a good source for decent heavy barrels. I just picked up an 18" 6.5 Grendel heavy barrel and a 20" .223 wylde heavy barrel, fluted and nitrided each and they were under $120 a pop. I haven't built anything with them yet though, but the 10.5" I got for a pistol build seems to shoot pretty well.

16" carbine gas system will cycle fine. Technically it is a little long for a carbine length, as carbine was designed for a 14.5" barrel, but they just use a smaller gas port than what a 14.5" would use. I haven't heard of many people with cycling issues on their 16" carbines.

Also a mid length gas port would add weight as the barrel doesn't step down to .75 till a couple inches further down. I mean, it isn't like adding a pound, but it is a few ounces of extra metal n

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here are my questions...

1 - can I go with 16" and carbine length gas system (lots in my price point) on an A2 fixed stock / rifle buffer kit (either LuthAR MBA 1 or MBA 2) and avoid problems with it cycling?

Should be OK with that setup. If you encounter reliability issues(and want to keep the A-2 stock) you could always put a spacer in the buffer tube and use a carbine spring, I would think.

2 - there are a few 18" barrels with mid length gas in my budget window so does it make more sense to go that route even though I don't need the 18" barrel?

Depends on how you feel about the added weight. It wouldn't bother me...

3 - for a strict range plinker, should I be looking at $250 barrels? i'm trying to keep total cost below $850 not including optics.

You should be able to cut that cost in half and walk away with decent shooting barrel.

thanks in advance. any and all insight will be appreciated

:thumbsup:

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Thank you guys for the responses. Like I said, I was going cross eyed searching. I have seen those Bear Creek ones around a few places all in the price range. My concern was the carbine length gas system vs the mid length and the effect on the gun. With the reassurances that it won't affect the gun that much, I will be looking out for deals.

Even though I'm relatively new to posting, I've been lurking a while and have read the entire AR-15 build thread. I trust y'all's insights greatly.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom