• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Wow nice that was pretty fast, not sure of any sources for m2 ball other than cmp/gun shows. I think federal makes 30-06 that says "for m1 garand" right on the box, might be able to find some somewhere. If you're really desperate you can shoot normal factory ammo through it as long as they're less than 180 grains, and I would definitely stick to 150 grain. Wouldn't make a habit of it though. If it's going to be a while until you get m2 ball you can get an adjustable gas plug to shoot just about anything through it
    I'm going to pick up the ported plug, by garanddear. If I see anyone with the "for m1 garand 30-06.".i may try a few rounds this weekend, if my Greek rounds don't arrive by then. after you mentioned it, I'm pretty sure I saw some at dicks sporting goods recently.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Grafs.com sells hornady .30-06 for the garand. I want to say PPU also makes some for it and Graf's carries it as well.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    M1 Ball, the Army standard round when the Garand was undergoing testing in the 30s, was 175 grains. All of my Garands seem to like heavier projectiles better than 150s, with notably improved accuracy with 168 and 175 grain loads. Unfortunately there's no cheap milsurp 168 grain 30-06 rounds around, it's mostly match-grade with prices to match.

Wow nice that was pretty fast, not sure of any sources for m2 ball other than cmp/gun shows. I think federal makes 30-06 that says "for m1 garand" right on the box, might be able to find some somewhere. If you're really desperate you can shoot normal factory ammo through it as long as they're less than 180 grains, and I would definitely stick to 150 grain. Wouldn't make a habit of it though. If it's going to be a while until you get m2 ball you can get an adjustable gas plug to shoot just about anything through it

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    M1 Ball, the Army standard round when the Garand was undergoing testing in the 30s, was 175 grains. All of my Garands seem to like heavier projectiles better than 150s, with notably improved accuracy with 168 and 175 grain loads. Unfortunately there's no cheap milsurp 168 grain 30-06 rounds around, it's mostly match-grade with prices to match.

Yeah if I'm not mistaken 168 grain is typical for match loads. You can certainly shoot heavier bullets in an M1 but as far as standard off the shelf commercial stuff I would be cautious and stick to lighter bullet weights. Never tried the heavier bullets in mine personally but I finally got a press set up so I might load some up. Unfortunately I'm sure the m1 ball was all shot up long ago

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Anyone know of an inexpensive club that I can join that is associated with CMP? My order was rejected because the club that I have been a member for 30+ years dropped their association with CMP this year; seems like a monumental mistake on their part.

Full disclosure, CMP gave me incorrect information, Monumental has NOT cancelled their association with CMP.

Last edited:

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Received my Field Special today! Pitting above the wood is minimal imo. NOW TO SHOOT HER! Receiver serial is a SA 3,539,XXX so if I looked at the production chart correctly..shes a 1944 reciever.
    952540e4443e6c31e24f4b33b0da956d.jpg
    41c868d2926cebed167ffdfb592d5908.jpg
    81265158a13d6fa3bd20434a27ceb075.jpg

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Received my Field Special today! Pitting above the wood is minimal imo. NOW TO SHOOT HER! Receiver serial is a SA 3,539,XXX so if I looked at the production chart correctly..shes a 1944 reciever.
    952540e4443e6c31e24f4b33b0da956d.jpg
    41c868d2926cebed167ffdfb592d5908.jpg
    81265158a13d6fa3bd20434a27ceb075.jpg

Nice! Before you shoot that make sure you lube it up correctly and that stock may need to be worked on!
    Check out this thread on the CMP forum for the stock. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=147599
    Check this out on how to lube it up. http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    I was wondering about the stock...do I need to do anything to it as far as oil/finish? I read that I may need to make sure it's not too tight around the trigger or barrel I think...may need shaving.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I've been lucky with the three Garands that I got as two had USGI stocks and the one that came with a CMP stock I just took it off and put it back in the CMP case and got a USGI stock for it. So I haven't worked on my CMP stock but I've read enough to know it should be checked and modified if need be. That post on the CMP forum is a good starting point.
    Did you find some Ammo for it as I seen you were looking for some?
    As far as oiling the stock, I've read that the CMP stocks are just lightly oiled I think with BLO but don't quote me on that. I've used the tung oil kit from the Grand gear web site and I think they came out great. There are A LOT of opinions on which oil/finish to apply so it comes down to what you want.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Yes, I picked up 2 cases of the HXP on sale at CMP, but Im still waiting for it to ship..ordered last friday I think. I also went ahead and ordered the ported gas plug, to tied me over before I start reloading. Have the equipment, just need the materials, knowledge and ...time.

Ill read the link you sent, to see if I can get confident on what to look for with this new CMP stock. If not could you recommend a place to get my hands on a USGI stock?

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Yes, I picked up 2 cases of the HXP on sale at CMP, but Im still waiting for it to ship..ordered last friday I think. I also went ahead and ordered the ported gas plug, to tied me over before I start reloading. Have the equipment, just need the materials, knowledge and ...time.

Ill read the link you sent, to see if I can get confident on what to look for with this new CMP stock. If not could you recommend a place to get my hands on a USGI stock?
    I got mine on the CMP forum for sale section. Here's a link but I think you have to be a member of the forum to buy.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    I also ordered two of the HXP cases on sale, I ordered Thursday night 7/13 and received it yesterday 7/18. If you don't know, you can log on to the CMP e-store and look at your order to see a tracking number. Fed Ex delivery requires adult signature for Ammo so someone has to be able to sign for it or they won't deliver it.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Also the Chantilly gun show is next weekend and it always have numerous dealers selling Garand parts, stocks, Ammo & tools you might want to check out.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I have been loging on...just says processing

Yeah I heard they got flooded with orders once the email went out! I was lucky and happened to stumble on it Thursday night and even thought it stated the sale started on Friday, I took a chance and ordered 2 cans. The price had already been reduced and it was billed with the sale price.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    I might as well see if I can add another can since in waiting lol. Hey is gunbroker... reliable? Looking at stocks on that page

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Here is my latest Garand that I got. It's a service grade Springfield and it came with the CMP stock but I put this stock on it that I got off of the CMP forum and these are the hand guards I got from Dupage. The stock and handguards were stripped and refinished with the tung oil kit from Garand Gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
      IMG_0341.jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 155
    • IMG_0342.jpg
      IMG_0342.jpg
      101.8 KB · Views: 150

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Can anyone tell or know what Kind of wood my new stock is, from my pics above? Its obviously been at least stained with something. I may just leave it alone until I decide on how I want to strip it, and refinish. Although due to lack of gloss/sheen I think I could just throw some oil on it for more protection.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I belong to Arlington R&P club that shoots at the AGC. They are a CMP club and I had no problem getting mine last year. I'm sure there are other clubs at the AGC that belong as well.

Anyone know of an inexpensive club that I can join that is associated with CMP? My order was rejected because the club that I have been a member for 30+ years dropped their association with CMP this year; seems like a monumental mistake on their part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom