• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Wife's Grandfather passed away at 99 last year.

Mother-IN-Law finds WWI? era colt 1911 in perfect condition. Calls police.

They take it and keep it for 8 months, then call her and have her register it on her NY Permit.

She is older and has asked to transfer it to me.

1. I have not purchased a Pistol since before Living in MD more than 15 years ago.

2. I do NOT have an HQL. Do I need one for this?

3. I am heading up to NY Friday to Visit. Do I need to do anything to start Transfer?

Thanks for the help

Dennis

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Good news is because the pistol is older than 50 years it is C&R and you won't need an HQL. There are online resources you can use to look up the year of manufacture by S/N.

You will need to have it shipped to an FFL in Maryland who can do the transfer to you. Many good people in the IP section here who can help you. That's not just state it's federal. In most circumstances you can't transfer a firearm between parties across state lines without going through an FFL. Make sure whatever FFL you use understands about the C&R exemption to the HQL.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not as well versed in NY state laws but pretty sure she will need a dealer to ship it out of NY up there too. Don't think they let you ship it yourself there. Could be wrong but I believe that is required there.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Thanks. I'm looking into dealers that will handle the transfer here in Montgomery County. Also trying to run down some dealers in Rochester to expedite the process on Mom's side. Because I'm sure she'll need proof of transfer to get it off her license.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks. I'm looking into dealers that will handle the transfer here in Montgomery County. Also trying to run down some dealers in Rochester to expedite the process on Mom's side. Because I'm sure she'll need proof of transfer to get it off her license.

Atlantic Guns, Engage Armament, United Gun Shop.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

It will probably cost you more to do the transfers and shipping than the $30 for the C&R. Plus, the C&R lets you give that wonderful old gun some friends from Russia, Poland, Romania, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Another vote for the C&R, if you have the time. About 30 days to get the license. Don't know about the NY side, but the MD side is easy - no HQL (it's C&R) and no 77R since it was acquired out-of-state. Simply record it in your new bound volume.

What does NY require for proof the gun was transferred to an FFL03 in another state?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    It will probably cost you more to do the transfers and shipping than the $30 for the C&R. Plus, the C&R lets you give that wonderful old gun some friends from Russia, Poland, Romania, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisdom here. >6 weeks for the license.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good news is because the pistol is older than 50 years it is C&R and you won't need an HQL. There are online resources you can use to look up the year of manufacture by S/N.

You will need to have it shipped to an FFL in Maryland who can do the transfer to you. Many good people in the IP section here who can help you. That's not just state it's federal. In most circumstances you can't transfer a firearm between parties across state lines without going through an FFL. Make sure whatever FFL you use understands about the C&R exemption to the HQL.

Wouldn't you still have to have a federal C&R license for the exemption to count?

Edit: never mind, y'all answered that. Can she ship it since she doesn't have a C&R? I know he could receive it as it is a C&R if he had a C&R license. Also can't ship it USPS. Handguns through USPS are a no go, C&R or no C&R

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the OP's situation , the time pressures on the NY end are the defining factor. I'm not a NY expert, but as I recall seeing, there is a very narrow time frame to either : Transfer to relative in NY, Transfer out of state, or surrender to Police .

When time is of the essence , have your relative do what needs be done on NY end to ship to Md FFL. OP can then do the 77R without HQL, since the gun is C&R eligible.

Atlantic is $$ for transfers. United is $50 , kinda so-so in rest of state, but cheap by MoCo standards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In the OP's situation , the time pressures on the NY end are the defining factor. I'm not a NY expert, but as I recall seeing, there is a very narrow time frame to either : Transfer to relative in NY, Transfer out of state, or surrender to Police .

When time is of the essence , have your relative do what needs be done on NY end to ship to Md FFL. OP can then do the 77R without HQL, since the gun is C&R eligible.

Atlantic is $$ for transfers. United is $50 , kinda so-so in rest of state, but cheap by MoCo standards.

? Can you? I thought the only way to skip the HQL (other than those individuals who are exempt) with a handgun was build one yourself or with a C&R license if it is a C&R item and then only a transfer while out of state.

I hate Maryland. I really hate that they've intentionally made this shit so damn obtuse.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    ? Can you? I thought the only way to skip the HQL (other than those individuals who are exempt) with a handgun was build one yourself or with a C&R license if it is a C&R item and then only a transfer while out of state.

I hate Maryland. I really hate that they've intentionally made this shit so damn obtuse.

C&R handguns are exempt from the HQL regardless how/where purchased.

If you buy a C&R handgun in MD, you do a 77R and check-off the "C&R Handgun" HQL exemption. You DO NOT need a FFL03 to avoid the HQL, even when purchasing within MD.

If you buy a C&R handgun outside of MD, you need your FFL03, bound volume, but you DO NOT need the HQL NOR the 77R.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    C&R handguns are exempt from the HQL regardless how/where purchased.

If you buy a C&R handgun in MD, you do a 77R and check-off the "C&R Handgun" HQL exemption. You DO NOT need a FFL03 to avoid the HQL, even when purchasing within MD.

If you buy a C&R handgun outside of MD, you need your FFL03, bound volume, but you DO NOT need the HQL NOR the 77R.

Oh. Well that is cool. I didn't realize that. So 77r for a C&R handgun, but no HQL needed and you don't actually have to have your C&R license? Or do you? Sounds like you don't.

Either way and for so many reasons it sounds like as soon as I mail off my DC application tomorrow I need to get my crap together and send in my C&R application.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Oh. Well that is cool. I didn't realize that. So 77r for a C&R handgun, but no HQL needed and you don't actually have to have your C&R license? Or do you? Sounds like you don't.

Either way and for so many reasons it sounds like as soon as I mail off my DC application tomorrow I need to get my crap together and send in my C&R application.
    For transfers within MD, C&R license is irrelavant. You do not need it to purchase a C&R handgun in MD. You do not need an HQL either. You do need to do the 77R and wait 7 days. Without DC, you will need to wait 30 days before receiving another handgun on 77R.

I was hesitant on getting a FFL03, but it is really GREAT for acquiring out-of-state C&R handguns. No 77R, no 7 day wait, no 30 days between receiving another, shipped overnight to your door. Some record keeping to meet federal requirements, but simple. And the types of handguns available are typically steel, weird, different calibers (commie calibers), etc.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    For transfers within MD, C&R license is irrelavant. You do not need it to purchase a C&R handgun in MD. You do not need an HQL either. You do need to do the 77R and wait 7 days. Without DC, you will need to wait 30 days before receiving another handgun on 77R.

I was hesitant on getting a FFL03, but it is really GREAT for acquiring out-of-state C&R handguns. No 77R, no 7 day wait, no 30 days between receiving another, shipped overnight to your door. Some record keeping to meet federal requirements, but simple. And the types of handguns available are typically steel, weird, different calibers (commie calibers), etc.

C&R sounds like a great deal.

BUT the timing on this deal is quick. I'm heading there to morrow to fill out the paper work at the county clerk to take tot he notary to have a Bill of sale to take it to an FFL in NY to have it transferred to them to ship it to here in MD.

ALL of this MUST be done in 7 days. or Transfer to NY state police.

BTW-- Mom says she found it nearly 3 years ago when Grandpa was sick and turned it in then. NY State police had trouble with 6-digit US ARMY issue 1911 built in 1917.

I'll try to add pictures but it looks in EXCELLENT SHAPE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom