• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 11, 2012
    I'm new to Maryland and will be properly safe and licensed for rifle season. I've read through the DNR rules and can't seem to find anything regarding power line cut right-of-ways through tracts of private property.

I plan on talking to the property owners (two neighbors) to ask for permission to hunt on their land, but I don't know if hunting the right-of-ways requires their permission or not. Anyone have any experience along these lines?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you need permission from the power company to hunt their r-o-w's.. other than that.. you are tresspassing.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    As I've always understood it, it's the owners property, they can use it as they see fit as long as it doesn't interfere with said utility. The utility has a right of way to cross said property.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    As I've always understood it, it's the owners property, they can use it as they see fit as long as it doesn't interfere with said utility. The utility has a right of way to cross said property.

depending.. if you talking about them big powerlines.. they are really owned by the power company not the people thats next to them.

right of way vs easements are totally different. easements.. yes.. right of ways.. no.

Oct 11, 2012
    Sounds like I need to talk to SMECO, too. I'm looking at some fairly large cuts in St. Mary's county and want to make sure I've asked all the right people.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Sounds like I need to talk to SMECO, too. I'm looking at some fairly large cuts in St. Mary's county and want to make sure I've asked all the right people.

Probably not a bad idea. You might want to talk to the property owner where you plan to hunt, I'm sure they can tell you about the right of way or easement which ever it may be.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Good luck with the power company. Dont forget you need written permission to back up your verbal permission. My father used to work for pepco and he tried to get me permission for transmission line ROW's and it was a no go.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    In short, No. My hunt club has property on both sides of the power line. Since we legally lease the property, we can legally cross the power line to get to the other side where we lease.
    SMECO owns directly under the line and 300' to the left and right of the farthest reaching cross member.
    Trust me when I tell you, the liability is too great for them and they will NOT give you permission to hunt on their land. They OWN the land and property owners that have land that the power line goes through, only have a right to cross it. This also means you can NOT ride your ATV up and down the power line either.

Since you mentioned "rifle" and "smeco" in 2 different posts, I'll tell you that you can't use a rifle anywhere in MD where SMECO controls the power.
    In most all of MD it is only legal to use Shotgun or Muzzle Loader for deer and bear. A few counties in western MD allow breach loading rifles.
    I know for sure that its Shotgun and BP only in Charles, St Marys, and PG.

Check here for the full list of firearm hunting regs in MD.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    i think smeco only owns the substations and small 3 phase 14kv lines. you would most likeley have to go through gen-on or miran if its the big ones....good luck with that. the one big line that runs through mcintosh and friendship school road is federal time if you get caught in there.

rifles in st mary's is a no go bro! unless you obtain the proper crop damage permit.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Some places have signs and warnings to not trespass, other places treat them like easements. There is a power line ROW through the middle of Cunningham Falls State Park. No prohibition on hunting near them there.

IOW,:shrug:

Oct 11, 2012
    My bad on the use of "rifle" season. I meant "not bows or muzzleloaders season". :) Too many years of hunting in other states with other season designations and rules! Thanks for all the info folks.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    depending.. if you talking about them big powerlines.. they are really owned by the power company not the people thats next to them.

right of way vs easements are totally different. easements.. yes.. right of ways.. no.

In short, No. My hunt club has property on both sides of the power line. Since we legally lease the property, we can legally cross the power line to get to the other side where we lease.
    SMECO owns directly under the line and 300' to the left and right of the farthest reaching cross member.
    Trust me when I tell you, the liability is too great for them and they will NOT give you permission to hunt on their land. They OWN the land and property owners that have land that the power line goes through, only have a right to cross it. This also means you can NOT ride your ATV up and down the power line either.

Since you mentioned "rifle" and "smeco" in 2 different posts, I'll tell you that you can't use a rifle anywhere in MD where SMECO controls the power.
    In most all of MD it is only legal to use Shotgun or Muzzle Loader for deer and bear. A few counties in western MD allow breach loading rifles.
    I know for sure that its Shotgun and BP only in Charles, St Marys, and PG.

Check here for the full list of firearm hunting regs in MD.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

The ownership of the ROW's is not as cut and dried as you make it. Our family owns a section of the land under the 69 kV line that feeds the lower end of St. Mary's. SMECO only has unrestricted access. The SMECO rep tried to tell me that they owned it years ago only to admit that they actually don't the next time he came by. In many places SMECO does own the land in the ROW but not all. Especially in the lower end of the county where most of the family's granted access for a few dollars instead of actually selling the land.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    RETIRED W 40 YRS SERVICE....PEPCO IS NOT GUN/HUNTER/SHOOTER FRIENDLY.

You can say that, again!!
    Almost 39 years of service, here.

Pepco owns (yes, owns!) most of their ROW, and does NOT allow hunting/shooting on their property.

They fired several people for hunting on the properties.
    Douglas Point is one piece of land that some employees thought that they could hunt, and paid for it, with their jobs.

They WILL prosecute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom