• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Putting together a plan to hunt grouse in western MD or WV. I know this will not be easy, but anyome had success with grouse around here?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Happened upon a few while still hunting squirrels. I think I've shot at 3 grouse in my lifetime. To the best of my knowledge, all 3 are still flying! :) They're pretty adept at aerial acrobatics in putting trees between themselves and a shot pattern. Good luck!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    They are acrobatic little suckers. I hunt them up in Maine with a .22 pistol and we have a great time doing it. In fact, with the lack of deer, we will take a couple of half days and just give up on the deer hunting and scout for grouse. Good luck on your trip. Good eating.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Putting together a plan to hunt grouse in western MD or WV. I know this will not be easy, but anyome had success with grouse around here?
    Want some company? I've been meaning to do this for years and never put it together. I've even brought this up to a couple members here. I grew up grouse hunting and they are one of my favorite game to hunt. King of game birds.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One season in GWNF I saw buncha Grouse while looking for Bambi. Of course neither 7x57 nor .44mag very suitable for grouse.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Last year, I went to WMD, Kirk Orchard Unit (there is a thread here about that unit). Very "grousy" territory, lousy weather for it though. I had a time limit and didnt get to wander as much as I wanted. Very interested in a repeat with others.

Grew up hunting grouse and partridge in the farmlands of NNY. Used to be one of my favorite past times.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Memory's..

I hunted Grouse in S/E Ohio (Belmont Co.) in the mid 70's to about 1985. I had two Britinany Spaniels (Tinker and Bell). Their tails were docked and instead of putting bells on their collars I put the bells on their tails. I had discovered that those two dogs would point and not move. Except for an occasional tail switch. They always hunted close to me so if I didn't hear the bells I'd wait; then home in. The Winchester Model 21 in 20 Gauge never failed me either.

Damn I miss those dogs.:sad20:

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Want some company? I've been meaning to do this for years and never put it together. I've even brought this up to a couple members here. I grew up grouse hunting and they are one of my favorite game to hunt. King of game birds.

I haven't forgotten, still want to do this.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I haven't forgotten, still want to do this.
    You are among those mentioned! I've been extremely busy at work, even on weekends. It really sucks we can't hunt Sundays. If at all possible, I can try to arrange something in January. Birds will be harder to find, but grouse hunters are gluttons for punishment!

Oct 11, 2012
    Used to hunt "hooters" (Blue Grouse) on the Oregon coast as a kid. Dumbest bird on the planet. You'd miss them and they'd just turn and look at you like "Dude! You could have killed me! Be careful next time!" Very tasty, though.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    back in the 80's I shot quite a few grouse up at green ridge. was a lotta fun. shot some turkeys there also.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I've seen a least one or two woodcock on a property in Mont. Co., no grouse though. I am hearing about WV- good grouse areas in Canaan Valley. Will have to talk to their DNR. Got some maps from MD DNR for Greenridge including a brochure on the Kirk Orchard. Be advised that most of the roads in Greenridge are unimproved dirt roads and not good for street vehicles. I was bowhunting out there a few years ago and almost got stuck in my AWD Subaru. Jeeps or 4WD trucks would be better.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Let me know if you find anything. I was up at Frederick watershed today looking for deer and had my .22 takedown. As well in case I saw a squirrell. Saw nothing all morning and then walkyd around scouting to see if I could find anything. No squirrel, deer or grouse. A lot of wood peckers though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom