• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    If you were starting today, what gear (camo/clothes, equipment, etc.) would you buy first, to get yourself started on the right foot for deer, upland, and waterfowl hunting?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I like Sitka Gear...their stuff is top notch. I prefer their Optifade Forest and 90% gear.

I also like Kuiu. They're similar to Sitka Gear. Their rain gear is da bomb.

I tend to layer. Cabelas used to have a heavy silk merino blend mock T that was brilliant as a mid layer. Underarmour was bottom layer...they have a zillion great choices. A good fleece or wool sweater and or a vest are all the layers you might need. Add or subtract as necessary.

I like Weatherby wool. Sleeping Indian and King of the Mountain also good....spendy though. Hard not to have a good wool outfit. Columbia wool is ok if you've a tight budget. Same with Cabelas wool.

I find myself wearing my Filson hunting bibs an awful lot too. They're pretty indestructible. Layer great too. Just not good if the weather changes to warmer and you're walking a lot. Their outfitter sweater is also great.

I prefer Danner boots...mostly Pronghorn. There are Meindl boots from Cabelas that are extraordinary.

Neck gator. Fingerless fleece gloves. I also take about 20 ft of good nylon webbing (typically used for climbing...doubles as drag rope or safety belt in stand or whatever).

Binos and a good stout, sharp knife are also a must.

Last edited:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Camo patterns of any colors or design is highly over rated. Buy something that is quiet. Stay away from that noisy stuff like Scent-loc or that crap that you find at Dick's. One slight movement and you're busted wide open. Don't worry about the camo pattern so much and worry about how quiet it is.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Camo patterns of any colors or design is highly over rated. Buy something that is quiet. Stay away from that noisy stuff like Scent-loc or that crap that you find at Dick's. One slight movement and you're busted wide open. Don't worry about the camo pattern so much and worry about how quiet it is.

to test the quietness...scrape your fingernail on the material.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: and wash your clothes in some kind of soap that cuts the UV and odor killer...there are many different brands!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'll echo what has been said, movement and scent will bust you first. Any quiet material in subdued colors and washed seperate from daily wear, in a soap without UV brightners will work. Many deer were killed in the past by hunters wearing blue jeans and red plaid shirts. I don't duck hunt so can't answer about them.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My father is a religious bow hunter. Seeing him with a gun in his hands is a very odd sight. That man has never worn camo a day in his life and has been hunting Deer with a Bow for 40 years and WILL NOT shoot past 15 yards. For as long as I can remember he has worn blue jeans and a solid green army jacket of some sort. That man has killed more Deer than I ever will and I'm a camo wearing guy who has to entertain the scent cover sprays and other gimmicks to a small limit.

We know for a fact Deer are "color blind" and it's not the "right camo" that is going to save your ass, it's the ability to not breath, fart, cough, sneeze, blink, or swat flies when a Deer is near.

The main goal is to not move and not stink. Deer use their Nose first, Ears second, and Eyes last. Given these facts, camo is the least of any Deer hunters worries. Deer only appear to be looking at you, but, it's the design of their head that makes their eyes be in the same direction as that almighty nose.

Deer can't smell camo, but, if you get your movements in the direction of their nose and their eyes happen to see you move... no camo is going to hide you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or in extreme cases , jeans , plaid shirts , carrying a kerosene lantern , and smoking a Camel. But they paid attention to wind patterns , and life was good.

Any mix or match camo that was on sale in my size , or even just earth tones. Movement ( lack of ) and silence is 98% , particular camo pattern 2% .

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    to test the quietness...scrape your fingernail on the material.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: and wash your clothes in some kind of soap that cuts the UV and odor killer...there are many different brands!

I am not involved enough to wash my hunting clothing in anything. I find that to be impractical step in Deer hunting. By the time you wash your clothes in some magical fairy dust washing solution and then get from home to the woods, you have come in contact with scents of all sorts from cats, dogs, gasoline, seats in your truck, wifes perfume, and who knows what else you will come in contact with... cigarette smoke, sweat, the list goes on.

However, I do and will always swear by this spray stuff in Autumn Formula. The best time to worry about how you smell is right as you head in the woods. I buy the Autumn Formula spray in gallons ( literally ) and spray it on just before I head in the woods. At least I have something to "cover" my scent and not some water and baking soda washing solution gimmick to make me think I'm doing something productive. I'm sorry, but, with all due respect to anyone out there, if you buy anything that is made of simple water and dissolved baking soda as in a clear liquid in a bottle or a white powder in a jug or some green goo in a bottle... you need your head checked. It's baking soda. Period. Nothing but common baking soda. That's a worse gimmick than Deer CoCane blocks and liquid.

576-2012.jpg

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Many deer were killed in the past by hunters wearing blue jeans and red plaid shirts. I don't duck hunt so can't answer about them.
    I read an article in a 70's vintage hunting magazine by Chuck Adams telling you to splash bleach on your hunting jeans to help break the outline. Of course that was before the camo industry came of age.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I used to wash my clothing in a non-scented detergent, then put them in a bag of leaves for a day or 2. Nothing better then a natural outdoor scent on your clothing.

For myself, I would shower that morning with a non-scented soap and shampoo.

As for camo, for me it doesn't matter. Just need to break up the outline. I like the designs of Mossy Oak and Realtree APG, but that is what I like. Doesn't matter what deer like.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Many deer were killed in the past by hunters wearing blue jeans and red plaid shirts. I don't duck hunt so can't answer about them.

This !

All I ever had was good boots, warm socks , jeans and usually a flannel shirt sometimes a old field jacket from Sunny's Surplus .

We would either walk the woods and jump something up or I would go find a good comfy looking tree trunk sit down and relax .

Just be quiet and mind your wind if sitting a bit .

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Amish are capable of devastating a heard wearing work pants and jean jackets stinking like horse shit But I prefer either ultimate camo or MO break up infinity.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks guys, great input. I think you've already saved me a few hundred dollars!

Another question...

Other than expensive cam clothes that apparently aren't necessarily the most important things for a hunter, what are other frequent money wastes that stores try to convince hunters are a necessity?

Also, other than smell & notice control, what are the most important things a new hunter should know?

Thanks again!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Thanks guys, great input. I think you've already saved me a few hundred dollars!

Another question...

Other than expensive cam clothes that apparently aren't necessarily the most important things for a hunter, what are other frequent money wastes that stores try to convince hunters are a necessity?this is a grey area! some people swear by every thing they see on tv and some say you dont need it. what i will tell you is dont buy anything that will turn somthing you enjoy into a job/chore.

Also, other than smell & notice control, what are the most important things a new hunter should know?know the anatomy of your query so well you could do surgery on it!

make sure you dress for the weather and in layers. carry most of your clothing out to the stand and put it on after you get settled. sweat makes you cold/hot and stink.

make sure somebody knows where you are going and when you expect to return. my wife has a map of all my stand locations and trees i like to climb. if you are fancy GPS coordenates are hepful.

study,study,study where you plan to hunt. the more time you spend in the woods,the more sucsessful you will be

the first thing you should buy is a good saftey harness!!!!!!

Thanks again!
    thats all i got

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I used to wash my clothing in a non-scented detergent, then put them in a bag of leaves for a day or 2. Nothing better then a natural outdoor scent on your clothing.

For myself, I would shower that morning with a non-scented soap and shampoo.

As for camo, for me it doesn't matter. Just need to break up the outline. I like the designs of Mossy Oak and Realtree APG, but that is what I like. Doesn't matter what deer like.

See post #8 ( Autumn Formula )

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Amish are capable of devastating a heard wearing work pants and jean jackets stinking like horse shit But I prefer either ultimate camo or MO break up infinity.

I can back up your claims with a few Stauffers, Stoltfus, and a fella named Chris Yoder...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Another question...

Other than expensive cam clothes that apparently aren't necessarily the most important things for a hunter, what are other frequent money wastes that stores try to convince hunters are a necessity?

Also, other than smell & notice control, what are the most important things a new hunter should know?

Thanks again!

Find plenty of Patience and a big bucket of coffee. Don't forget the hunting license. EVERYTHING else is questionable and not required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom