Beware: Wideners credit/debit cards hacked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This has all the makings of a Rainier-type of attack. At least Widener's eventually admitted the problem publicly. Something tells me Widener's website is infected with a man-in-the-middle trojan that's skimming customer info during purchases and/or redirecting the purchases through the thief's remote server.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    This will go on for awhile. I use a specific CC as my "hobby" credit card to pay for my C&R addiction. Last purchase from them was 3/13. I was just on-line reviewing charges and there were 6 items posted late 3/31 and one today for things I did not order. Account closed, but what a pain.

Last edited:

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I have had several credit card issues over the past few years. All I can say is don't rail on Wideners. They have been nothing less than a true stand-up organization in my experience.

Recently resolved an issue with them regarding some out-of-spec merchandise I received. All issues were resolved and my money was refunded.

OTOH, I had an LLBean card (for the free shipping) and I only used it for orders from Bean's. Over $5K of charges showed up for music downloads! Never did get a notice or an explanation (from Beans or Barclays - the card issuer). I declined a replacement card offer unless they explained the problem. They sent it anyway and I promptly shredded it and cancelled again.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I ordered from them with a card by phone last thursday or friday, and no funny business yet. Hopefully they got it straightened out!

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    I placed an order on 3/31 and received notification today that the card used for the purchase has fraudulent charges. I only used this card to purchase from Wideners.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I placed an order on 3/31 and received notification today that the card used for the purchase has fraudulent charges. I only used this card to purchase from Wideners.

You should let Widener's know this. Their ISP is trying to blame the problem on an event that happened in mid-February, and they are assuming that all is well. It clearly isn't.

I really like Widener's, and hope they get this fixed right away, but sitting around listening to illogical BS from their ISP isn't going to cut it.

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    You should let Widener's know this. Their ISP is trying to blame the problem on an event that happened in mid-February, and they are assuming that all is well. It clearly isn't.

I really like Widener's, and hope they get this fixed right away, but sitting around listening to illogical BS from their ISP isn't going to cut it.

I did. Their response: Thank you for letting us know and I will forward this to our web host company and have them check it out.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Crap!!! I don't have any yet... hopefully ordering by phone may be safer, I guess it depends on when/how the info is getting stolen. During online purchases or when they run the cards.... who knows. I don't have any fraudulent charges yet.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I did. Their response: Thank you for letting us know and I will forward this to our web host company and have them check it out.

That's disappointing. They've been giving that answer for a few days now, and it seems pretty clear that their web host company either hasn't got a clue what happened, is clueless in general, or they are blowing smoke to Widener's.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Been following this thread and I'm really disappointed. I have always liked dealing with Wideners, but to not shut down your site for online ordering when you clearly have an ongoing problem is disrespectful to your customers. Sure, your phone lines will get overloaded and some folks will just walk away if they can't order online, but better that then loose your loyal customers because of this, maybe for good? Shame shame shame on them.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Update:

Update 4-4-14: For the period 3-31-14 to 4-3-14 our website provider’s website was compromised and credit card information for those dates may have been obtained by unauthorized users.

We have been in meetings all day long with a host of computer experts and programmers and our web provider. The breach from overseas has been finally been identified and eliminated as of 4:00 EST. Our web provider now declares that the website is secure.

On a personal note, words alone cannot express the regret I feel about this situation.

Timeline still doesn't match, I placed my order on 3/9

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I made my last transaction on 3/30 over the PHONE, and no issues on my card. I went ahead and just canceled it and have a new one on the way.

Has anyone had info stolen that placed an order over the phone?

I placed a internet order in early March and did have my info stolen that time, but not with the new card I used on 3/30.

But, figured I would cancel it and avoid the possibility.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Update:

Timeline still doesn't match, I placed my order on 3/9

Many people had their info stolen from around that time, too. I think some even had Feb. transactions that got stolen. Mine was early March as well.

Seems that anyone who has used their card with Wideners from Feb to the present should definitely just cancel their card to avoid the hassle. Some have reported charges as high as 7,000$ in one pop going through on their accounts.

Again, if you had your card info stolen from a PHONE order only, please post it here on this thread. I'm curious...

Thanks

Muggs

Nov 21, 2010
    Cumberland
    I had a card compromised in early March. I've never ordered from Widener's. I do use my card a lot, both online and locally.

I had 2 pending charges show on my account when I checked it online for what I'd spent since my statement. They were charges to Old Navy totaling close to $600. I called and reported this, got the card cancelled and a new one on its way.

The following Monday I arrived home from work to find a box on my porch as well as a bag and a next day air envelope inside the storm door. It was my new credit card and the stuff from Old Navy.

I contacted Old Navy and sent the packages back. I was told there actually should have been 3 packages.

The mail on Saturday brought me a notice from Fed-Ex thanking me for opening an account with them on 3-7-2014. Two days after the first fraudulent charge. I believe this was done to try and change the destination of the Old Navy packages.

There is now an ongoing Police investigation into this. I have also signed up for an account with UPS. Its free. I can track any packages destined for my address and best of all nobody else can change the package destination. I hope to be able to do that with Fed-Ex someday.

I encourage all of you to gain control of your addresses before someone else does.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    After changing my credit number after getting hacked in March I took Wideners at their word they fixed the issue . I ordered powder on the 3rd and my info was stolen again. They have had a month to get a handle on it and still don't. I don't blame them for the 1st time but to call it fixed when it is not is BS.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Damn, that sucks man. I was too scared to place another order online so I called one in a little over a week ago. I waited a week and no funny business on the card. They told me when I emailed them about my first online order where I did get hacked, that phone orders were safe.

I still ended up canceling the card the other day, decided not to risk it. Its an extra card and not a big deal to wait for a new one...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Finally, they turned off online ordering on their website.... IMO they waited way too long to do so.

Please excuse the inconvenience!
    Ordering via the web site has been temporarily terminated to allow for security and design upgrades.
    You may still phone orders in at 1-800-615-3006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom