Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM #1
Welcome to Fredneck

Welcome to Fredneck

Px4 Storm Type F 9mm for a first gun?

So, I am looking at the Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm for a first gun. I feel since it is sub-$500 online and 9mm is cheaper ammo, then this would be a good gun for weekend plinking at the range. I am also looking to CC this gun whenever we see the light of day to get permits. I know it is rather bulky to CC, but I am a very large guy so I feel that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I really do like the rotating barrel of this gun, so I am avoiding the smaller compact variations of this gun. The big question I have is the difference in these 2 separate models.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+Compliant+wFC

or

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...F+9mm+17+round

Other than the MD Compliant one being $2 cheaper, is there any difference at all that i'm just not seeing?

Also, what NEW single/double action 9mm pistols are in my price range of less than $500 should i be considering?

-Thanks in advanced for any and all help
Titans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:03 AM #2

I have heard people that love their PX4s but there is a reason that the Maryland State Police are swapping out theirs for Glocks. I have personally seen 2 trooper's weapons where the feed ramp was chipped and they only ever shot it during qualifying every 6 months. So these weapons only ever saw 300 rounds or so and were in horrible shape.

Personally I like FNs pistols, but that's me. Everyone is different.
balttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM #3
Russian Grizzly Adams

Russian Grizzly Adams

As far as the px4 goes...on the non-LEO side alot of people like them...i know a few people who have put in the area of 7500-10000 rounds through theirs without any major issues related to the gun (bad ammo is bad, no matter what its in)...on the leo side, well theres alot if hate...frankly i find alot of it hard to believe...i dont hear about any of these massive issues from the civi side, so its just odd that all leo models have the problems? You can argue round count...but again tge civi side has its fair share of people who have quite the appitite for ammo and they have no problems. As far as i know there is a section of the feed ramp that is poly, and cases will scratch and wear at it...however it gets to a point where its "broken in" if you will and the rounds stop "damaging" it. I cant say i like the way that works...but it seems to work.

Edit: check out the compact models, still have tge rotating barrel, but just shorter
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM #4

Like I said, there are plenty of people that love em but almost all of the MDSP Troopers I work with carry their personal glocks when not on duty and many switch to the glock once they arrive here at the building. So far, only 2 have been able to swap out their PX4 and the rest are anxiously waiting. I just know that from what I have personally witnessed and what I have been told by those that were issued them in the Sate Police, I wouldn't trust MY life to one, but that's just my opinion.
balttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Demoneyes86

Send a message via Yahoo to Demoneyes86
Not a fan. Personally to i have heard/seen quite a bit of problems. I would rather an fn, glock, xd/xdm or an m&p. And ehy buy online otd price would be similar local wen its all said and done. Goodluck on whatever you decide.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM #6

/sigh

it's a good gun. i own one. i've got probably 3 or 4 thousands rounds through it, no significant issues. by "no significant issues" i mean, one time while cleaning it I popped the spring on the slide release lever accidently.

there's a lot of haters, though.
Storm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM #7

I havent had a single problem with mine, but I guess depending who you ask thats hard to believe...
Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:13 AM #8

It was my first handgun!

It has been terrific, great first gun, bought it two years ago. I have over 2000 rounds through it with NO problems at all. It has the lowest recoil of all the 9mm handguns I tested (M&P 9mm and Sig 9mm) making for a quicker second shot, and a more pleasent range experience. I Love the 17 round mags, less reloading at the range. The fit and finish of the gun is outstanding, very tight, it feels like its machined out of one piece of material. The actual finish on the gun is terrific, it still looks brand new. No problem with being finnicky with ammo and no problem with hollow points, they all feed great. The accesory rail is handy too, I mounted a laser site on it. The safety/decocker is a great feature too. IMO the PX4 should be a $1000 gun.

I cant say enough good things about the PX4 Storm 9mm.

BTW, I need to buy another PX4 Storm, I lost my whole collection in a freak skiff accident on the bay last week in heavy seas. Never take your whole collection out on the bay!

– George Bailey (from It’s a Wonderful Life)
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM #9

I shot one surprisingly well when I rented it at gun range once. I've heard of the rotating locking barrel getting gummed up and causing issues with it if you go too long before cleaning it but those are the people (I count myself among them) that like to go as long as possible before cleaning their pistols so if you clean it once every 1000 rounds you should be fine.

There was a model I found that was DAO and I didn't like how long and heavy the trigger was but if you get a DA/SA model it shouldn't be a problem.

For that price though you could get a M&P 9mm or Walther PPQ. Hell if you can find a dealer to fire a spent shell casing you can get a a Sig Pro SP2022 for $350 shipped + transfer.
mrozowjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM #10

If you like the px4, you can also check out the prior version, stoeger cougar. Mine has been very reliable. You can find both the PX4 and cougar at bass pro. Just don't buy there unless you like a long wait. http://www.basspro.com/Stoeger-9mm-C...10218344/64599. My son with smaller hands, shoots the Ruger SR9 more accurately that the cougar.
jeganrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns

Tags
9mm, beretta, px4, storm