• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    Netflix is currently airing the complete season 2 of the History Channel's "Doomsday Preppers". Episodes from other seasons are available on a individual pay for play on several platforms such as Amazon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I want to see their cache of toilet paper before I draw any conclusions.

This.

The only sane ones were the ones trying to prep for a mega tsunami and they were trying to stash a 72 pack of TP in to their rubber raft that they were going to paddle through the intercostal water way inland in the few hours they'd have before the 1000ft high tsunami ends up washing hundreds of miles inland.

They'd totally make it AND they'd be able to wipe their butt for months.

Frankly they are mostly showing people with severe mental illness. Which doesn't mean prepping makes no sense. But if you listen to most of them, they are nuts for the most part. Sometimes they have good reason to be nuts. Most of them also are doing a terrible job with actual prepping or prepping in a way that makes no sense for what they are actually concerned about.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    This.

The only sane ones were the ones trying to prep for a mega tsunami and they were trying to stash a 72 pack of TP in to their rubber raft that they were going to paddle through the intercostal water way inland in the few hours they'd have before the 1000ft high tsunami ends up washing hundreds of miles inland.

They'd totally make it AND they'd be able to wipe their butt for months.

Frankly they are mostly showing people with severe mental illness. Which doesn't mean prepping makes no sense. But if you listen to most of them, they are nuts for the most part. Sometimes they have good reason to be nuts. Most of them also are doing a terrible job with actual prepping or prepping in a way that makes no sense for what they are actually concerned about.

+1

I think the show is heavily scripted for reality TV reasons. They pick an individual that is hyper focused on one single highly unlikely scenario. Even the preps are not well though out. They are not ready for a family camping trip let alone total self sufficiency.

In reality most preppers are prepared for a variety of scenarios because they focus on solving their water/food/shelter/defense survival needs not just the event.

The show is frustrating to watch because it is so heavily produced.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I like the guy teaching his son to shoot, and shoot safely,,, who shot his own finger,,,, with a rifle!

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    It’s silly ( but probably scripted) to prepare for a specific disaster. I suck at predicting anyway. To paraphrase someone wiser than me : you don’t prepare for a specific event you prepare to lose systems of support. Start with the most likely loss. In almost every case it’s going to be a loss of income, whether due to job loss, illness, family situations or as we are seeing now pandemic. Save up an emergency fund so you can go x (whatever that may be for you)months without income. It’s not prepper sexy like a new AR, body armor or ham radio but unlike these I guarantee you will need this sometime in your life. After you have done than move on to system 2: maybe water, maybe food, maybe security? It’s your call based on your situation. I don’t think you have to do it quite as linearly as I suggest but I think it helps to think in theses terms. Meanwhile the rest of the doomsday preppers can prepare for the Yellowstone super volcano....

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    It’s silly ( but probably scripted) to prepare for a specific disaster. I suck at predicting anyway. To paraphrase someone wiser than me : you don’t prepare for a specific event you prepare to lose systems of support. Start with the most likely loss. In almost every case it’s going to be a loss of income, whether due to job loss, illness, family situations or as we are seeing now pandemic. Save up an emergency fund so you can go x (whatever that may be for you)months without income. It’s not prepper sexy like a new AR, body armor or ham radio but unlike these I guarantee you will need this sometime in your life. After you have done than move on to system 2: maybe water, maybe food, maybe security? It’s your call based on your situation. I don’t think you have to do it quite as linearly as I suggest but I think it helps to think in theses terms. Meanwhile the rest of the doomsday preppers can prepare for the Yellowstone super volcano....
    Take Maslow. He had a pretty good model for needs...

Or a survival list...

Solman

Oct 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Frankly they are mostly showing people with severe mental illness. Which doesn't mean prepping makes no sense. But if you listen to most of them, they are nuts for the most part. Sometimes they have good reason to be nuts. Most of them also are doing a terrible job with actual prepping or prepping in a way that makes no sense for what they are actually concerned about.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. I really didn’t see much of this show but I def saw that episode with the raft and toilet paper. That lady seemingly suffered from severe OCD with her clipboard and lists of stuff. Just a manifestation of her mental illness.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I would think that they are showing the people that they do because real, better prepared preppers treat prepping like fight club.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    WITH A RIFLE????

If you said toe, I'da said oh. But a finger!

I remember watching that episode. Another was a single girl in some southwestern city whose plan was to put on a backpack and hike all night for good ol Mejico when SHTF. Yeah, that's a sound plan for a 20 something white female.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I remember watching that episode. Another was a single girl in some southwestern city whose plan was to put on a backpack and hike all night for good ol Mejico when SHTF. Yeah, that's a sound plan for a 20 something white female.

What could go wrong?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I could not agree more. I really didn’t see much of this show but I def saw that episode with the raft and toilet paper. That lady seemingly suffered from severe OCD with her clipboard and lists of stuff. Just a manifestation of her mental illness.[/QUOTE]

OCD is often caused by an event where the person felt utterly powerless to affect the outcome of the situation. It could be your parents divorce at a young age. Sexual trauma. Physical abuse. A particularly damaging loss of economic activity, etc. It’s an attempt to reduce anxiety by exerting order and control over a situation.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

Thanks

LOL. Yeah, great plan. I'd like to see the book she writes after it happens. She'd probably wish she shot her finger off instead of going with her plan.

chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia
    How about the episode with single guy looking for a woman who will live with him in a decommissioned missile silo located in rural central Kansas in the event of a catastrophic event. During the show he then goes on dates with three women he has met through an online dating service. He then arranges a second date blindfolds a woman, so she does not know where it is to go visit his missile silo. LOL!! What a creepy guy!! They way acted made you think he was a serial killer...:lol2:

Alphawaves

Apr 3, 2020
    Maryland
    funny show! lol

I wonder if that is real or just all staged?

Remember "The Real world" on MTV back in the day? it was all made up stupidity. I knew someone that was on it. Those "reality" shows are usually just BS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom