• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I was sitting having a my morning cup of coffee reading posts and news about people across America are buying all the ammo and firearms they can get their hands on, when it came to me in a few months, a year or as long as it takes for people to calm down. People are going to get buyer remorse need money and be willing to part with those paper weights they can’t eat. There’s going to be a lot of Ammo and Firearms for sale very cheap and most of them will have never been fired. I do feel sorry for the schmucks that buy ammo at double the retail price and will only get less then half what they paid for it. :sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My wife and I were just talking about this today, and we're each making a list of things that made us uncomfortable either not having or not knowing. We have virtually no concern with respect to food, water, and shelter. Good on ammo.

We did find that we wanted cash on hand, and between the two of us, had less than $200. The past few days I've been hitting an ATM to build that ups, and today, took a walk to the bank and pulled a chunk out of my business savings account. We also decided we should have guns she's comfortable using. She's never fired my handguns or rifle, so once things settle down we're going to get her to the range (and if she doesn't like the guns we have, we'll get her one(s) she does like.) We also live a block from a gas station (and we are within 10 blocks of several) - today the close gas station was out of gas. Normally we'll run cars down to a 50 mile range, but I think we're going to fill up more frequently now.

We also hit CVS and picked up a little extra cold medicine, Mucinex, nyquil, stuff like that, in case there's a run on it if/when people catch the virus.

Really don't need THAT much cash on you (sounds like you are pulling out thousands, but maybe I misunderstand).

If things get so bad that, say, FDIC is irrelevant, that cash you have has zero value. To anyone.

Changes I've made. Wife didn't like, but acceded to body armor in the house (I've had hard armor in my beer, gun and hunting room for a couple of years, but I wanted/needed soft armor that can be worn under loose clothing, kept under the bed or handed to my wife).

Also one of my handguns now lives in a handgun vault in my bedside dresser instead of in the basement in the safe. She asked me to do that.

I have a couple of loaded BX25s for my 10/22 in the safe as that's the only gun my wife has ever shot. She isn't comfortable with it, but more so than any other gun. So I can hand that to her and the two mags and she has something.

I've loaded up a few more PMAGs in the safe for my AR instead of the two that normally live on the door. I ordered more defensive ammo for my G17 as what I had on hand I have trouble finding (golden saber) and all I've got on hand are the two loaded mags and about half a box. I've got 6 boxes of Ranger T +p on the way. Enough to be comfortable that it runs, load a few mags and have enough spare I can run a mag through once a year for a few years before I run low. Also common enough I should be able to score a few more boxes to stock up if I find it DOES work well in my G17.

Things I want to improve for the future.

I have a generator and plenty of gas, but I've been wanting a larger one that is dual fuel for awhile. I am hoping I can still take care of that. Belt and suspenders on power.

Good on food and water and medical supplies. Only thing I found out we didn't have much of was flour. Only 12lbs or so.

Good on ammo, though I just bought a new handgun, so finding ammo for it was a bit of a pain. Some has shown up, some hasn't shipped yet. I have enough for the moment. Some day I'll pile it higher and deeper.

I do also want to get a 22 handgun for my wife. She is extremely gun shy. I think I can get her to the range to shoot a 22 handgun a bit so she can be minimally comfortable with it. As she puts it, my 38sp 6" revolver is "that loud gun". So you can tell what her comfort level is (she was fine with the 10/22). I'd like her to be able to have something in her night stand. Even if 10 rounds of minimags in a Mark IV or something isn't the bees knees, its a hell of a lot better than nothing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was sitting having a my morning cup of coffee reading posts and news about people across America are buying all the ammo and firearms they can get their hands on, when it came to me in a few months, a year or as long as it takes for people to calm down. People are going to get buyer remorse need money and be willing to part with those paper weights they can’t eat. There’s going to be a lot of Ammo and Firearms for sale very cheap and most of them will have never been fired. I do feel sorry for the schmucks that buy ammo at double the retail price and will only get less then half what they paid for it. :sad20:

Very true.

Also likely a lot of estate sales the next year or two. That's not quite so happy a thought.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Really don't need THAT much cash on you (sounds like you are pulling out thousands, but maybe I misunderstand).

If things get so bad that, say, FDIC is irrelevant, that cash you have has zero value. To anyone.

Changes I've made. Wife didn't like, but acceded to body armor in the house (I've had hard armor in my beer, gun and hunting room for a couple of years, but I wanted/needed soft armor that can be worn under loose clothing, kept under the bed or handed to my wife).

Also one of my handguns now lives in a handgun vault in my bedside dresser instead of in the basement in the safe. She asked me to do that.

I have a couple of loaded BX25s for my 10/22 in the safe as that's the only gun my wife has ever shot. She isn't comfortable with it, but more so than any other gun. So I can hand that to her and the two mags and she has something.

I've loaded up a few more PMAGs in the safe for my AR instead of the two that normally live on the door. I ordered more defensive ammo for my G17 as what I had on hand I have trouble finding (golden saber) and all I've got on hand are the two loaded mags and about half a box. I've got 6 boxes of Ranger T +p on the way. Enough to be comfortable that it runs, load a few mags and have enough spare I can run a mag through once a year for a few years before I run low. Also common enough I should be able to score a few more boxes to stock up if I find it DOES work well in my G17.

Things I want to improve for the future.

I have a generator and plenty of gas, but I've been wanting a larger one that is dual fuel for awhile. I am hoping I can still take care of that. Belt and suspenders on power.

Good on food and water and medical supplies. Only thing I found out we didn't have much of was flour. Only 12lbs or so.

Good on ammo, though I just bought a new handgun, so finding ammo for it was a bit of a pain. Some has shown up, some hasn't shipped yet. I have enough for the moment. Some day I'll pile it higher and deeper.

I do also want to get a 22 handgun for my wife. She is extremely gun shy. I think I can get her to the range to shoot a 22 handgun a bit so she can be minimally comfortable with it. As she puts it, my 38sp 6" revolver is "that loud gun". So you can tell what her comfort level is (she was fine with the 10/22). I'd like her to be able to have something in her night stand. Even if 10 rounds of minimags in a Mark IV or something isn't the bees knees, its a hell of a lot better than nothing.
    “...cash you have has zero value...”

I propose you are not the survivalist you might one day be.

Grade A arse wipe and not bad for starting a fire.

Let’s hope it don’t come to that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Really don't need THAT much cash on you (sounds like you are pulling out thousands, but maybe I misunderstand)...

Maybe not in a full blown 'end of the world' scenario, but there is plenty of need for cash before things reach that point, IMHO.

Point is, never count anything out.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I always keep a good supply of cash in the safe.... agree in a full grid down, the zombies are charging, type scenario, it isn't worth much, but there are plenty of situations on the short- to mid-term disaster scale, where it still is something you want on hand.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    During an emergency if the grid is down cash will work when plastic won't.

Sometimes people will sell something cheap when they need cash. Might be a gun if they have no ammunition for it.

More than one refugee has bought a boat ride with cash.

Bribes often work better in easily concealed cash rather than bulky rolls of TP.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Well I somehow got low on rice, and picked up a bag after this started. I had plenty TP, don't use hand sanitizer, bullets a plenty. Can't store internet, frowny face.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I had some supplies stored up, but honestly didn't expect a run on toilet paper. Food wise, I had reserves, but the wife still hit the stores and asked me to do the same. Guns and ammo, I am fine, medical supplies I was ok, but still got more as I could find it. My biggest lesson was, I didn't expect it spiral downward as quickly as it did. I thought it would be a slower descent, not an almost immediate panic. I also wished I had pulled SOME money out of my stocks before they tanked so far, so I had some reserve cash in case I get laid off, and not spent so much before. I have perfect hindsight.

Also, since the kids have been home alone this week, and I have been in and out sporadically, I showed my daughter where her 15-22 was, and the loaded mags. Our neighbors are section 8 crackheads, so if it gets REALLY bad, I definitely feel they are a threat.

My wife works at a bank. Since last week, people have been flocking to the bank to pull their money. Some a few thousand, others want their whole savings out. It's been crazy, people come in sick coughing at her, rude, angry, taking it out on her and the other staff. They have a bottle of hand sanitizer on the counter and she said someone tried to steal it. The bank has limits on how much cash a person can take out before they have to order more cash, and over a certain amount they have to order the cash, and it comes in a week later. Imagine most customers coming in all week long, pulling thousands of dollars in cash out, then at the end of the week workers come in to cash their paychecks. Reminiscent of 1929. People don't care their money is insured by FDIC, still a run on the banks. So, always have some cash on standby, as it will be useful at the beginning of the SHTF. After that, evidently toilet paper is gold.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The run on TP and paper towels surprised me as well. Never in my 20 or so years in Maryland did I witness something like this, even with the past blizzards.

One thing that I have witnessed is that the liquor stores seem to hold up to any event.

Out of all of the stores I have been surveying for the past several days, Costco seems to be the most resilient, organized and reliable grocer to continue supplying food and other consumables as needed.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I always keep a good supply of cash in the safe.... agree in a full grid down, the zombies are charging, type scenario, it isn't worth much, but there are plenty of situations on the short- to mid-term disaster scale, where it still is something you want on hand.

In general I agree with this but if the Govt starts printing cash over the next 6-12 months be careful.

I’m just not sure of any other option at this point.

Sirex