Howard County
    Updated OP. SB208 Status in the House: 3/14/2020 Hearing canceled

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    As taken from the baltimore sun...
    https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...tory-river-two~~1~yes-art~curated~curatedpage

"Legislative leadership called in lawmakers to work all weekend to expedite the session, should it need to end before the scheduled last day of April 6.

Senate President Bill Ferguson, a Baltimore Democrat, said the legislature would consider whether to stay in session once the budget passes. The Senate has already passed a $47.9 billion spending plan, which is awaiting action in the House of Delegates.

Republican Gov. Larry Hogan has urged lawmakers to give the budget final approval by Tuesday, in the event the General Assembly needs to adjourn early.

“Once the budget passes, we’re going to evaluate where things stand," Ferguson said.

Passing the budget is the only action that lawmakers are required to complete during the session under the Maryland Constitution.

Ferguson also said he believes appointing Hogan’s nominees to various posts in state government is a “must do” before the legislature adjourns.

Ferguson and House Speaker Adrienne A. Jones have taken a number of steps to try to limit the number of people at the State House, including banning the public, lobbyists and advocates from the complex unless they have an appointment.

Senate Minority Leader J.B. Jennings, a Harford County Republican, said he was concerned the legislature was violating the Open Meetings Act by locking the public out of committee sessions.

“There’s a lack of transparency when we’re voting,” Jennings said."

One might argue that folks showing up to testify at an announced hearing really do have an appointment.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    I found this interesting:

Due to the State Capitol Complex building closures, some paid indoor lobbyists have copied a page from the Patriot Picket playbook and have taken up positions at the same location we unpaid outdoor lobbyists used for our 2/5/20 Annapolis 2A Rally Day:

:innocent0

Attachments

• B785C9C6-0506-49C3-9514-EC096B6C350D.jpg
      B785C9C6-0506-49C3-9514-EC096B6C350D.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 499

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Here are some pics from our 2/5/20 Annapolis Pro-2A Rally Day that better illustrate where the paid lobbyists are currently standing “On The Bricks” since the building closures to greet the legislators on their way to the Statehouse.

This spot is near the base of the steps of the north side of the historic Statehouse.

That day was specifically chosen for our Rally because it was a “triple-witching” day: the 2-year anniversary of the Patriot Picket arrests at the Statehouse, a major gun bill hearing day, and Gov. Hogan delivered the State of the State Speech to a joint session of the MdGA.

We had way more lobbyists there on 2/5! We can’t thank enough all those Patriots who participated in our outdoor pro-2A Rally that day.

Patriots were indoors too: messaging the Governor and legislators by wearing their WWNC shirts in the Statehouse lobby, and testifying later in the afternoon at the gun bill hearings.

In case you missed it, here is the TV news coverage of our Rally at the 1:36 minute mark of the video in this WMAR 2News piece:

https://www.wmar2news.com/news/loca...arylands-state-of-the-state-address-wednesday

Bottom photo: view from the north Statehouse steps; that’s “Hogan’s House” in the background. :innocent0

PS: Many thanks to PowPow for keeping this bill thread current and informative. :mdpatriot

:mdpatriot. :thumbsup: :mdpatriot

Attachments

• A26664A5-FE0D-4821-968E-0DB0DBDC872B.jpeg
      A26664A5-FE0D-4821-968E-0DB0DBDC872B.jpeg
      79.2 KB · Views: 501
    • 66FFD5B9-3EB4-491D-B800-05D1813EBA20.jpg
      66FFD5B9-3EB4-491D-B800-05D1813EBA20.jpg
      150.7 KB · Views: 492

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Oh please let this one die.

IF we get lucky, this will be the second year in a row that we've dodged the bullet to avoid the implementation of what will be full gun registration in the formerly Free State. I don't think we can count on lightning striking three years in a row.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016

IF we get lucky, this will be the second year in a row that we've dodged the bullet to avoid the implementation of what will be full gun registration in the formerly Free State. I don't think we can count on lightning striking three years in a row.

We are organizing out in Western MD. There will not be a third time without a fight. I’m hoping the other leaders across the state will work with us to organize all 2a supporters and work this year out of session to get after these antis in their home territories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Point of correction, there would be no "registration" with MSP as there would be no 77r or 7 day wait on the transfer of long guns. More than likely an AFT 4473, but that doesn't go anywhere, and the NICS check they are asking for, does not have any firearms related information (i.e. make, model, caliber, etc.)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Maybe just a one year extension. I have been writing all my representatives, but as we saw in 2013, no amount of logic will sway their agenda. We all know it isn't about safety, or logic for that matter.

But we did sway their agenda, in The House, so much so that the Democrats threatened their own to get the bill passed out of the House.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Just passed as amended in the Senate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dang. I see that guns are not off of the table and they are of "high importance" even in the state of the coronavirus scare. This makes me feel uneasy about some of the other bills out lingering out there. Wednesday cannot get here fast enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom