• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    With Maryland being solid democrats, I'm surprised this hasn't passed in prior years. Even if Hogan were to veto it, should it become law they will just over ride the veto.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    When Sen Smith figuratively threw up his hands and asked Mark P. if he, the Moms' lawyer, and the staff could get together next week, we won.

Not everything. Of course, I'd prefer if MSI could write the bill (or kill it), we have seat in the room.

Everyone who highlighted issues in the bill, orally or in writing, helped. Every kid who got up and said this hurts my 4-H program helped. Thank you.

Of course, the bill deserves death, buried in a drawer somewhere.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'm not sure this new bill (HB1104) up today in the house deserves a thread of its own just yet. When I saw who was listed as the sponsor, Del. Lopez, I chuckled. She is a dingbat.

Defining the term "transfer" as it relates to a certain exchange of a regulated firearm between two individuals under certain circumstances; providing that the term "transfer" does not include a change in possession that is temporary and occurs under certain circumstances or a change in possession to allow another person to use the regulated firearm exclusively and in the actual presence of the transferor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm not sure this new bill (HB1104) up today in the house deserves a thread of its own just yet. When I saw who was listed as the sponsor, Del. Lopez, I chuckled. She is a dingbat.

Sounds like last year’s bill that tried to make it a crime for my wife to have possession of my regulated firearms. Or even have them in the house if she knew the safe combo.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    We fought a similar bill last year and managed to get a Mens Rea requirement that goes after intentional criminal loans (SB0346). That bill passed and was signed by the Governor.

I will wait to see the text, but I am going to bet that it is her attempt to roll that one back. When it was finished, SB0346 was viewed as a positive step - it allowed the State's Attorneys to avoid the Chow defense ("it's a loan from a friend", says illegal possessor's attorney) while protecting otherwise innocent and legal loans.

Nothing more than yet another attack on guns by those that hate guns and the people that dare to own them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I find it twisted that in the testimony that PowPow and others were posting that the MDA supporters were concerned about long gun suicides - which if you examine the numbers is likely mostly males, mostly white, and probably mostly over 40 (plurality if not the majority). At the same time these MDA supporters show great antipathy toward this population of gun owners in direct interactions while feigning empathy in their testimony. As is being said, they don't care about the suicides with long guns. They never have. They want to use it as a tool to take the long guns away from demographics that they don't like and routinely mock and antagonize.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I find it twisted that in the testimony that PowPow and others were posting that the MDA supporters were concerned about long gun suicides - which if you examine the numbers is likely mostly males, mostly white, and probably mostly over 40 (plurality if not the majority). At the same time these MDA supporters show great antipathy toward this population of gun owners in direct interactions while feigning empathy in their testimony. As is being said, they don't care about the suicides with long guns. They never have. They want to use it as a tool to take the long guns away from demographics that they don't like and routinely mock and antagonize.

And there is no way they can show that background checks prevent suicides. A retired co worker of mine committed suicide with a handgun after his wife died. He used a handgun he owned for decades, but he also owned a number of other guns. He had a security clearance in his job. By their logic, this would have prevented this. We all know it would not have. And yea, he was an elderly straight white male. They cared not one bit about him until he became a statistic they could bend for their narrative.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    And there is no way they can show that background checks prevent suicides. A retired co worker of mine committed suicide with a handgun after his wife died. He used a handgun he owned for decades, but he also owned a number of other guns. He had a security clearance in his job. By their logic, this would have prevented this. We all know it would not have. And yea, he was an elderly straight white male. They cared not one bit about him until he became a statistic they could bend for their narrative.

Precisely my reaction as I listened to the testimony (Katie, you were awesome--as usual). They can provide zero statistics to bolster their claim that any of this would prevent suicides--unless they can establish definitively that people go buy a long gun, go directly home and stick it in their mouth. I think virtually all long gun suicides are with firearms that have been owned for considerable lengths of time. The ONLY way that one could eliminate suicide by long gun is to ourlaw ALL sales and possession of long guns. And by the way, that would not eliminate those suicides. It would merely alter the means used. Multiple developed countries with virtually no civilian access to firearms have suiicide rates that are higher than the US in amounts that are statistically significant.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Precisely my reaction as I listened to the testimony (Katie, you were awesome--as usual). They can provide zero statistics to bolster their claim that any of this would prevent suicides--unless they can establish definitively that people go buy a long gun, go directly home and stick it in their mouth. I think virtually all long gun suicides are with firearms that have been owned for considerable lengths of time. The ONLY way that one could eliminate suicide by long gun is to ourlaw ALL sales and possession of long guns. And by the way, that would not eliminate those suicides. It would merely alter the means used. Multiple developed countries with virtually no civilian access to firearms have suiicide rates that are higher than the US in amounts that are statistically significant.

This. I am willing to give them to time of day if they COULD show that is what was happening. My anecdotal sampling of knowing 3 people directly or indirectly who have committed suicide with a firearm, they all used guns they’d owned for years.

They have a point that suicide by firearm is more likely to be “successfully completed” then through other means.

But I know 3 other people who committed suicide and it was all through intentional OD on prescription drugs.

Background checks aren’t going to stop suicides. Probably not even one.

If you have such mental health issues that you’d fail a check because of mental health confinement, then you are probably going to use and be successful through some other means if you are going to.

If you are going to “snap” and go by a gun to commit suicide, it’s probably going to be buying one from a gun shop. Not taking the time to contact someone, track down the seller, meet up, etc. that takes WAY more time.

Or you’ll walk in to a shooting range that does rentals and off yourself.

I know too many people who have committed suicide with no, to the outside world, good reason to have done it (I have no problems with suicide for “good reasons”. Like terminal illness you don’t really want to suffer through). I want to do something about it. But better mental health access and care is the better way. Not punishing thousands to probably not do ANYTHING for anyone with a law like this.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

If gun bans don’t prevent suicides, background checks most certainly won’t.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ps...201607/fact-check-gun-control-and-suicide?amp

If you look at almost every study on this topic, they rely on the idea that restricting access to guns reduces GUN suicides. Duh. They do not talk about overall rates and other methods. So dumb.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    When Sen Smith figuratively threw up his hands and asked Mark P. if he, the Moms' lawyer, and the staff could get together next week, we won.

Not everything. Of course, I'd prefer if MSI could write the bill (or kill it), we have seat in the room.

Everyone who highlighted issues in the bill, orally or in writing, helped. Every kid who got up and said this hurts my 4-H program helped. Thank you.

Of course, the bill deserves death, buried in a drawer somewhere.

Does Smith have any real authority? I'm unsure if his figurative statement here really means anything or not

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Well because other suicides don't matter as much. They don't want to actually stop suicide, just suicide by gun. Just like they don't want to stop murder, just murder by gun. You are more dead that way dontcha know.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well because other suicides don't matter as much. They don't want to actually stop suicide, just suicide by gun. Just like they don't want to stop murder, just murder by gun. You are more dead that way dontcha know.

True. It drives me INSANE.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

If they wanted to stop murder by gun, they should have supported the Violent Firearm Offender Act of 2020. :sad20:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Does Smith have any real authority? I'm unsure if his figurative statement here really means anything or not

Committee chairs are deities within their committees. They set the agendas, control hearings, and can desk drawer bills they don't want to see the light of day. And they can use that power to coerce members to support or reject amendments, and on final committee votes, too. IIRC, the Chairs also serve as the defacto Director for their committes' staffs.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I wish someone would testify that even if Epstein did commit suicide, he used a bedsheet. Ergo, we should ban bedsheets since it would save at least one life.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wish someone would testify that even if Epstein did commit suicide, he used a bedsheet. Ergo, we should ban bedsheets since it would save at least one life.

Common sense bedsheet control we can all get behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom