• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Here is something to discuss among legal guys here.

FSA 2013 banned the SKS if it can accept a detachable magazine. And you can not convert one to do so after 2013 from my understanding. The factory SKS non detachable magazine is a 10 round already Maryland legal magazine.

There are a ton of star marked chineese magazines out there that are 20 round capacity. When installed in the rifle they are factory design non detachable but it increases the capacity to 20 rounds.

Here is my question.... can one be legally installed after 2013 on a rifle? It is still non detachable after installed, and we are still allowed to go and buy, possess, and use greater than 10 round magazines as long as we do not buy or sell them in the state.

Am I missing something thinking that a non detachable 20 round magazine can legally be installed on an SKS in this state even after the 2013 law?

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    Ok so the issue is that the FSA 2013 refers to the chinese sks that was able to accept ak mags, not the detachable mags you can buy today for any sks. but the issue is that if you change anything about your sks it violates 922(r) UNLESS you replace all the parts so you have less than 8 imported parts, all the rest have to be us made.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ok so the issue is that the FSA 2013 refers to the chinese sks that was able to accept ak mags, not the detachable mags you can buy today for any sks. but the issue is that if you change anything about your sks it violates 922(r) UNLESS you replace all the parts so you have less than 8 imported parts, all the rest have to be us made.

I did not consider federal law in my question. That is a thought. But only pertaining to Maryland law, who thinks it would be legal to put a non detachable magazine with a 20 round capacity in an SKS bought after 2013?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Full stop, no go.

3. See page 10: A semiautomatic centerfire rifle will be a banned "copycat" if it meets any one of these three tests:
    (1) Has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Full stop, no go.

Well that sums it up now doesn’t it. However, it would be a copycat of what exactly? The sks design is not a detachable magazine. And someone would not be adding a detachable magazine. What would it copy?

Last edited:

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Just put a block in the 20 rounder with the star on it, so it's 10 rounds. Rifle looks 1000x better with it :) Good luck finding that style mag cheap.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

Excellent point to consider. Good post! :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Or... if I may be so bold, subscribe to a liberating philosophy. WWNC.

Isn’t that technically the opposite of liberating by breaking the law? Even if one were to advocate breaking a stupid unconstitutional law, the result is possibly prison. Not liberation.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If a SKS owned prior to 2013 was converted to accepting >10 fixed magazines prior to 2013 and then was converted back to 10 fixed magazines was now converted back to 20 round fixed magazines, would that be legal?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Or... if I may be so bold, subscribe to a liberating philosophy. WWNC.

In private someone may potentially do as they wish..

On a public forum asking how to get one over on the overseer... Your going to get the default legal answer.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    SHTF, who cares.
    Until then, get good with stripper clips, or are you concerned about giving it to someone else since one might already have an AR with standard mags?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ok so the issue is that the FSA 2013 refers to the chinese sks that was able to accept ak mags, not the detachable mags you can buy today for any sks.

Where does the law say that????

From the law:

(xxxv)SKS with detachable magazine

So ANY post 9/30/13 purchased SKS with ANY detachable magazine is in violation of the law.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    In private someone may potentially do as they wish..

On a public forum asking how to get one over on the overseer... Your going to get the default legal answer.

No attempts to get around the "overseer" here. Just a discussion on current state law. I never said I was going to do this.

SHTF, who cares.
    Until then, get good with stripper clips, or are you concerned about giving it to someone else since one might already have an AR with standard mags?

No concern at all.

Where does the law say that????

From the law:

So ANY post 9/30/13 purchased SKS with ANY detachable magazine is in violation of the law.

Correct. This is the way I recall seeing it written. That is why I posted my question.... the 20 round China mags are original design and not detachable at all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Correct. This is the way I recall seeing it written. That is why I posted my question.... the 20 round China mags are original design and not detachable at all.

Then you run into the max 10 rounds fixed mags.

So, with a post 2013 SKS, you are limited to a 10 round, fixed magazine.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No attempts to get around the "overseer" here. Just a discussion on current state law. I never said I was going to do this.

No concern at all.

This is correct, but does the MD mag restriction specifically say detachable? If COMAR doesn't specify, its the same as detachable - buy outside of MD, bring into MD ok, possess in MD ok

Isn't the only thing specified "tube magazines"? (and they are exempted)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This is correct, but does the MD mag restriction specifically say detachable? If COMAR doesn't specify, its the same as detachable - buy outside of MD, bring into MD ok, possess in MD ok

Isn't the only thing specified "tube magazines"? (and they are exempted)

Two different things. Actually 3.

SKS with detachable mag is BANNED.

Under copy cat provision, "A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS A FIXED MAGAZINE WITH THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS" is BANNED.

So you only buy/own one of these if it was purchased prior to 10/1/2013. So while you could purchase a 20 round fixed mag for an SKS, if you installed it on your post 2013 SKS you would be creating a banned assault weapon. And thus would be breaking the law.

And, "This section does not apply to: (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine." So no limits for .22 with tubular mags.

Interestingly, they do not say .22 rimfire. So a .22 CENTERFIRE with tubular mag is exempt. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom