Anyone else use P-64 mags from Keep Shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So, I took my newly aquired P-64 to the range this morning with its magazine and two others I got from Keep Shooting. The original worked fine but the aftermarket mags had FTF issues. Just couldn't chamber the first round and was a PIA to clear.
    Anyone else use these and have you had similar issues or better luck with these?
    I'm just really disappointed since the two I bought were about $25 each.
    Is there anything I can do to increase the reliability of these? Sounds like I'm screwed as far as returning them because I have now 'used' them.
    Thanks.

BinaryBoris

On YouTube: "NotAGunGuy"
    Jan 6, 2015
    Congrats on the new acquisition! I love both my P64s and they are both absolute tack drivers. Amazing accuracy especially considering that short barrel.

One thing that could be causing the feeding issues is the tightness of your grips. I was running into feeding issues with my original magazines the first time I took my P64 out - however, I had also stripped it down to the frame to give it a thorough cleaning prior to this, and when replacing the grips I got a bit too enthusiastic about tightening them down.

Evidently, if they are too tight they can cause something like a "vice" pressure on the magazine which, in turn, can cause feeding issues.

The fact that your original mag fed fine and the aftermarkets didn't could be a problem with the mags themselves - but it also could theoretically be that they are more sensitive than the original mags to the tightness of your grips (different type of steel, different construction, etc).

This may not be the problem, but it's worth a try. I'm curious to see if this fixes the feeding issues!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Had that problem with my orginal mag, when I first got my P64. Yes big pain to clear with the mag release being on the bottom of the grip. Figured out it was not the pistol or the mag but the operator (me), I was riding the slide back a bit instead of letting it go, once I stopped I had no more problems.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I just bought two from them. I have not had a chance to try them in my P64 yet. Mario said that they have not had any problems or complaints about them. I'd just give them a call and talk to them.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    The first round won't chamber, is it nose-diving into the feed ramp?

Another thing to try:
    measure the front of the feed lips on the aftermarket vs. your original mag and see if there's much of a difference. See if the shape and angle look similar. If they are way off, you could try messing with them if you're inclined to tinker (or just send them back)

Sometimes it can be an easy fix, sometimes it can be a massive pain....

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Had that problem with my orginal mag, when I first got my P64. Yes big pain to clear with the mag release being on the bottom of the grip. Figured out it was not the pistol or the mag but the operator (me), I was riding the slide back a bit instead of letting it go, once I stopped I had no more problems.

Yeah, I'm not riding the slide so I'm not sure what is going on. I've been trying to find the time to call, but I'm very busy during the day. I'll try to call them soon.
    Thanks for all who have chimed in.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    And who is the MD-based seller of P64 magazines? I'm in the market for some extras.

KeepShooting.COM

They're being discussed upthread.

Their mags work in my P64, but they drop a little less easily as the box is a different metal (maybe it's a composite material - don't have one in front of me) compared to the originals.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    KeepShooting.COM

They're being discussed upthread.

Their mags work in my P64, but they drop a little less easily as the box is a different metal (maybe it's a composite material - don't have one in front of me) compared to the originals.

Ah, I didn't realize that keepshooting.com was based in Maryland. Alas, they are sold out.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ah, I didn't realize that keepshooting.com was based in Maryland. Alas, they are sold out.

As I understand, they make their own (or have someone do it for them), so I bet that they will eventually have inventory. The issue has likely been all the P64s available via AIM, Classic, J&G, etc. Many people have been ordering spare mags from Keep Shooting. Have even seen them discussed on the "unofficial" P64 forum (people put out alerts when mags are available) ... http://www.p64resource.com/

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The first round won't chamber, is it nose-diving into the feed ramp?

Another thing to try:
    measure the front of the feed lips on the aftermarket vs. your original mag and see if there's much of a difference.
    See if the shape and angle look similar. If they are way off, you could try messing with them if you're inclined to tinker (or just send them back)

Sometimes it can be an easy fix, sometimes it can be a massive pain....

This. What I discovered through my research is that there are two different mags for P64s...ones with shorter feed lips that were used in P64s prior to 1970ish and ones with longer(about 1/10" longer) feed lips that were used from 1970-1971 and up. The mags from the older P64s with short feed lips will work in the newer P64s...the mags from the newer P64s will NOT work in older P64s unless you modify them as I describe how I did below.
    I ordered 2 from KeepShooting. When I tried to chamber a round, it would jam half way in the chamber while the round in the magazine did a nose dive. Had to disassemble the pistol to get it cleared. I measured the feed lips and the ones from KeepShooting are approx. 1/10" longer. I disassembled the magazines and laid the body of the factory one that worked on top of a spare (I had that is just like the KeepShooting mag), marked it with a sharpie, and then used my dremel to grind the excess away. It will now chamber a round without a problem. In fact, I shot 50 rounds through it without a hiccup. I emailed KeepShooting to see if they offered a magazine that would work or if they would modify the mags I got from them. No response yet. If they don't or won't, I'll modify them myself.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Contacted KeepShooting because after almost a week (maybe has been a week or more...can't keep track of time on night shift). I told them the issue and asked if they offered a magazine that would work or would modify mine. The answer was NO on both accounts.
    Below you can see the difference in the magazines. New style on left, old style on right.
    image.jpeg

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    image.jpeg

Here is a side view. The old style mag(for older P64s) is on the left and the new style for newer P64s(like keep shooting sells) is on the right. If your P64 locks up while trying to chamber a round and the round in the magazine does a nose dive, your P64 requires the older magazine or for you to modify your existing "jamming" magazine as I stated above.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I made a video and posted it on youtube how I modify the magazines to work. I'm not a gunsmith or expert of any sort. Look up "Polish P64 magazine modification if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom