• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Another thread from me dealing with shooting and arthritis, but this one is about shotguns.

I currently have 2 12ga shotguns for HD. But like the rest of my body I’ve got arthritis in my shoulders. The last time I shot them it seemed to be a bit much and my shoulder hurt for over a week.
    I even tried the low recoil ammo, while they were mild they were still a bit much.

For those that know, is low recoil 12ga equal to 20ga recoil?

I’ve never shot a 20ga, and not to familiar about using them for HD.

I’d like to hear the groups opinions on this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    20 gauge should be a little less recoil, but the gun matters too. Heavier is better.

A semi auto gas operated gun might be a good choice. Those have much less recoil than a pump action.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    20 gauge should be a little less recoil, but the gun matters too. Heavier is better.

A semi auto gas operated gun might be a good choice. Those have much less recoil than a pump action.

Remington 1100 is a great example of this. That gun in 12 gauge has less recoil than most other 20 gauges.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I’ll have to check a semi auto out.
    Sounds like it would be a good option, not having to pump would be easy on the elbow and shoulder joint.
    Thanks for the option.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    12ga mini shells, never heard of them.
    Thanks, I’ll check them out.
    But maybe I do want another shotgun.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Yep, Semi-auto would be the way to go. I had a Remington 1100 12 ga. and installed a Sims Limbsaver. That was a nice shooting shotgun

The 1100 is now about $1400 ( I think ). I sold mine a few years ago for $400. It was in excellent condition. You could look for a used 1100 in VG-excellent
    condition. Look on gunbroker

Also, I think the 11-87 sells now for ~$750. You could also check out the Versa-Max.

Attachments

• Sims.jpg
      Sims.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 196

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    good suggestion on the 1100/1187. and a good recoil pad. (not knocking other brands!!!)

if you look in the coming months, you may see 1187's new for 450-500 ish, with rebate. definitely at the black friday sales, if you don't mind them.

the v3 and versamax are both supposed to be pretty tame. for a good price, check bud's guns. local stores may be more, or charge for $$$ xfers. iirc, the v3 was running mid 6's to low 7's a few months back. considering the op is recoil adverse, he probably doesn't need to spend the extra money on the versa max, with it's 3.5" ability.

(quick check on buds. 1187 plastic, 460ish. v3 670ish, vm 1200ish, these are all the base/plastic models. wood is $$$)

there is also a 20g 1187. and the youth model comes with a really nice 21" (+/-) barrel. nice and tight for hd.

if you do select the mini shells, just remember, there may be insufficient energy to cycle properly in some semi's. some guns also require adapters to run them, on the lifter. not sure about the remi's. you'll want to check that before you buy. i think it was ?aquila? that had the minis. my spelling may be off there. regular bird shot and low recoil buck/slug would probably be tolerable, but each shooter had different tolerance.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Thanks for all the input.
    I have decided the best for me is a 20ga semi auto.
    Have read good reviews on the Mossberg SA20 20ga tacticle.
    Hope to find a nice used one that won’t break the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom