• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    The virtues of 300 blk wasn't to serve as a viable alternative to x39. It is simply the most versatile round for the modern day AR platform out to 300 yards. I run a 9.5 inch sbr that has more muzzle velocity than a 16 inch 5.56 in a smaller platform. I run linked ETM mags and a suppressor. If my target engagement moves out over 25-50 yards and/or behind cover. I simply switch mags to the supers, have the same reliability, no gas tuning, bcg switches to mess with and start up some hammer time.

Try shooting quiet with subsonic x39 suppressed, let me know how your bolt action AK/AR works for you. Try shooting through brick walls or outside of 50 yards with your Kriss Vector and let me know how that does for you.

Can you give some advice on how the 300BLK would work in a 10.5" barrel for hunting deer and also for home defense suppressed... Is this a good idea or not?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Try shooting through brick walls or outside of 50 yards with your Kriss Vector and let me know how that does for you.

This is straight out of the Joe Biden school of home defense. :lol2:

just-fire-the-shotgun-through-the-door.jpg

Sure, if you are an operator operating operationally, 300blk might be for you. Or a mall ninja.

But for home defense don't shoot through walls or doors. Mr Maryland Prosecutor will say no bueno. You are likely to go to jail. Identify your target first and be sure that they are not, say, unarmed and running away behind that wall. The vast majority of scenarios happen inside 21 feet where you can see your attacker.

For home defense, any subsonic chunk of lead going 1000 fps is as good as any other, provided you hit your target. Main criteria is reliability and accuracy under stress.

ETA: the primary reason to get a carbine for home defense in this state over say a revolver or 9mm pistol is the HQL ********.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Hi-Point always goes bang- are cheap and you know they will confiscate it if actually used for home defense--you might get back but you are not out a lot of $ if you don't

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hi-Point always goes bang- are cheap and you know they will confiscate it if actually used for home defense--you might get back but you are not out a lot of $ if you don't

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good point! Even if you do get it back, you know everyone will have tested the merchandise, especially if it (was) a nice gun. It'll come back all banged up 2 years later.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Can you give some details please?

I am going with not so much.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

45ACP (Federal Hydrashocks) – 7 boards, bounced off 8th.

I shot my 16″ AR with XM-193.

We don’t know how many boards it would have penetrated, as it was still moving after exiting the twelfth board.

Lessons learned:

*Sheetrock (drywall) doesn’t slow any round down much. If you shoot in the house, walls will not stop any serious round.
    *Twelve pine boards will not stop a .223 round.
    * Shooting stuff is fun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    XM 193 is ball ammo and I think Doc uses some sort of varmit bullet for HD. Guessing that has something to do with it? :shrug:

BoxoTruth#2 and #4 show frangible bullets. 8 sheets of drywall, or 4 sheets + blow up a milk jug. Also, this one where they test various 556 types: https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

Pretty much anything they tried including 9mm and frangible 556 goes through 4 walls. The only thing about the ball ammo was that it tumbled a lot and the flight path was far more uncertain.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Whenever possible(always), know your "fatal funnels" and what lies beyond and defend from there. You are not going to have a running gun battle in your house with an unknown entity. Especially if you have loved ones in that house too. You have a phone. Hunker down and use it.

My 2 cents

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The virtues of 300 blk wasn't to serve as a viable alternative to x39. It is simply the most versatile round for the modern day AR platform out to 300 yards. I run a 9.5 inch sbr that has more muzzle velocity than a 16 inch 5.56 in a smaller platform. I run linked ETM mags and a suppressor. If my target engagement moves out over 25-50 yards and/or behind cover. I simply switch mags to the supers, have the same reliability, no gas tuning, bcg switches to mess with and start up some hammer time.

Try shooting quiet with subsonic x39 suppressed, let me know how your bolt action AK/AR works for you. Try shooting through brick walls or outside of 50 yards with your Kriss Vector and let me know how that does for you.

I think you quoted the wrong person. I never said anything about bolt guns or x39.

That said, I’ve seen some AK and ARs in x39 with adjustable gas blocks that shoot and cycle sub sonic x39 just fine. And you don have to adjust the gas for supers. It’ll sure be over gassed, but you won’t beat it to death in a few hundred rounds doing that. Not what I’d reach for though. .300BO sub is more mature and more options for suppressor hosts, SBR/pistol setups, etc.

Not sure what you mean about a 9.5” SBR with more muzzle velocity than a 5.56 16”. Some kind of 30gr aluminum round?

Because a 16” 5.56 55gr is going to be 3100+ fps. A 9.5” .300BO with 110gr should be more like 2300fps.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is straight out of the Joe Biden school of home defense. :lol2:

just-fire-the-shotgun-through-the-door.jpg

Sure, if you are an operator operating operationally, 300blk might be for you. Or a mall ninja.

But for home defense don't shoot through walls or doors. Mr Maryland Prosecutor will say no bueno. You are likely to go to jail. Identify your target first and be sure that they are not, say, unarmed and running away behind that wall. The vast majority of scenarios happen inside 21 feet where you can see your attacker.

For home defense, any subsonic chunk of lead going 1000 fps is as good as any other, provided you hit your target. Main criteria is reliability and accuracy under stress.

ETA: the primary reason to get a carbine for home defense in this state over say a revolver or 9mm pistol is the HQL ********.

I would go with the primary reason being more accurate and controllable.

Also probably cheaper. I’ve seens night sights on a pistol in the dark. Yes, I could use them, but frankly with the muzzle flash of a handgun in the dark the first shot is likely aimed, but all follow-ups are going to be nearly blind blazing away if I am rapid firing. A red dot is going to still be usable and a good reliable red dot on a handgun starts around $300 on up. Good reliable red dots for shotguns and rifles start at $40 on sale.

Accuracy still matters at 20 feet.

If you get in to a struggle over your firearm, something longer with a stock is harder to wrestle away and can more easily be used as a club.

Lastly more capacity (generally) and certainly faster follow-up shots with less training more accurately (ignoring the night blindness, also with a good flash suppressor and a barrel and cartridge sufficient to burn most/all of the propellant, a lot less muzzle flash to blind you from a carbine).

I can fire my Glock 17 about as quickly as I can my 16” AR-15. Maybe a little bit slower doing effectively a mag dump. I’d be lucky to get 17 rounds in to a foot circle at 7yds if really pulling the trigger as fast as possible. My AR-15 I could put all 30rnds in a 2-3” circle or smaller at that distance.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Whenever possible(always), know your "fatal funnels" and what lies beyond and defend from there. You are not going to have a running gun battle in your house with an unknown entity. Especially if you have loved ones in that house too. You have a phone. Hunker down and use it.

My 2 cents
    This is exactly what we were taught when we had our house gamed for home invasion. We also made mods to the house to (hopefully) steer any invader's movements to our advantage.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

My 2 cents

I agree 100%.

Michael Janich did an episode of Best Defense a few years ago that covered fatal funnels and how to use you homes layout to your advantage in a defensive situation. I tried finding it to post a link but no luck so far.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    What would you guys recommend?

Cz Scorpion
    Kel Tec Sub 2000
    Ar 9mm

There are tons more options just throwing a few out there. Share your thoughts....

Okay, I'm gonna be that guy. Don't know your budget, but I can highly recommend Hi-Point. I can definitely recommend it compared to the Beretta CX4 series, if nothing else. Good price, excellent customer support/warranty, accurate, good sights, unique stock recoil setup, decent aftermarket/modification possibilities, and manufacturer-endorsed hi-cap mags. I've had over 2000 rounds through my Hi-Point in .45 ACP, and I've never had a jam--and the 9mm is their primary, best-selling model. Oh, and a company named High Tower Armory is producing a bullpup kit for it, if that interests you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom