• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Went to Needwood today for Trout, nada. Water was pretty muddy. One guy did land one the couple hour time frame I was there. Will be back 2/15, forecast warm and a New Moon ..

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Wife caught a nice trout on a silver Acme Phoebe on 3rd cast. Next three hours , with others on the shore near us, had to be 15 rods with powerbait out, and nothing. The Trout was landed lip hooked and did well on the stringer, so let em go. We MoCo guys all bitching we get the least of the Trout harvest in our ponds. lol

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I always catch more fish at practically any other place BESIDES Lakes Needwood and Frank. It's like they're both almost sterile bodies of water.

I've started fishing storm water basins around Rockville, and I've been catching surprisingly large bass (for the size of the ponds). But so far, nothing has topped the small lake adjacent to MoCo police HQ.

You're not really supposed to fish there, but if you do it discretely, it's amazing. Sorta like the lake at Rio shopping center.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rough morning where i went. Eye loops were freezing shut causing casting to be a pain. Did snag this guy.

Most people in our party only got one so i took all of them. Had a few get skunked and my brother caught 3 also.

Attachments

• 45A60A80-71D8-497D-A4C0-F2AB275DEF5E.jpg
      45A60A80-71D8-497D-A4C0-F2AB275DEF5E.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 1,282

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Rough morning where i went. Eye loops were freezing shut causing casting to be a pain. Did snag this guy.

Most people in our party only got one so i took all of them. Had a few get skunked and my brother caught 3 also.

How big is your cutting board lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    14 inches i think. Fish was 12 on the nose! One of the ones i filleted had a belly fully of sticks and mud like he was trying to eat some beetles but was cross eyed

I used to take strolls with my dog and flyrod up the (Rock)creek at Needwood. I usually caught 'holdover' trout and released them for others to catch. One day I caught a nice one and decided to keep it. Took it home and gutted it and pulled an 8 inch plastic worm out of its belly. :shocked3:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Trout can be finicky but at times they can be gluttons.I caught about a 12 inch rainbow on a whole night crawler.In his stomach was another whole night crawler,a 3 to 4 inch shiner and a half digested frog.

Once in Western Md,we fished a couple of days after a flood.Every trout we caught had gorged themselves with worms.I dont know if one more worm would even fit....but they were willing to try.

I was cleaning a trout one day and it had eaten a white lump of something.The best guess my friend and I could come up with was,it ate a skinned 1/4 of a medium sized potato????

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Trout can be finicky but at times they can be gluttons.I caught about a 12 inch rainbow on a whole night crawler.In his stomach was another whole night crawler,a 3 to 4 inch shiner and a half digested frog.

Once in Western Md,we fished a couple of days after a flood.Every trout we caught had gorged themselves with worms.I dont know if one more worm would even fit....but they were willing to try.

I was cleaning a trout one day and it had eaten a white lump of something.The best guess my friend and I could come up with was,it ate a skinned 1/4 of a medium sized potato????

Probably the "Western Maryland Potato Hatch"

:D

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Had a slow opener yesterday but ended up with some decent fish. Waiting for warmer weather so I can get back on the salt.

Attachments

• 20180331_112305.jpg
      20180331_112305.jpg
      100.1 KB · Views: 1,228

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Got this one today in the Patapsco River. It’s been a rough start for me this trout season, missed a few strikes and a couple got off the hook. I usually do better when the river pressure lets up and the water gets warmer. This one is the first of the year for me.

Attachments

• 1115F88C-332A-4C23-A1F2-B71EE57CDE77.jpg
      1115F88C-332A-4C23-A1F2-B71EE57CDE77.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 582

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    That's a Golden Trout? Damn, looks cool. My friend had one on, and got off only a few feet from us. I've never landed a Golden.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hope some of you are out for Rockfish opening day today and land a hog. I don't think I’ll be out until next weekend.

Out here now. Slow so far. Seeing a couple posted on FB though.

Waiting on tide change.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The first few days of Trophy Rockfish have been tough. I postponed 3 trips out a week or so due to poor fishing. Don’t feel right carrying people out when expectations are low. We did manage to land one yesterday, 43”. Hopefully the water warms up soon and gets these fish going!
    066AB309-8F19-4CE4-825B-178DF605265F.jpg

553F68B8-235E-4C7E-BA48-81661D6F38B6.jpg

Last edited:

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The first few days of Trophy Rockfish have been tough. I postponed 3 trips out a week or so due to poor fishing. Don’t feel right carrying people out when expectations are low. We did manage to land one yesterday, 43”. Hopefully the water warms up soon and gets these fish going!
    View attachment 231670

View attachment 231671

Nice fish! It's been a tough bite indeed. I was out on Monday, and had nothing to show for it in 6 hours. The striped bass fishery looks its in trouble once again.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Did a little catfishing over the weekend. Went out more to just put some hours on the new motor to break it In but we caught a few.

Attachments

• CT.jpg
      CT.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 372

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom