• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The problem with that is: the demoreeps have the majority to override his veto. That's why he's a republicreep!!!

This this is true, but they cannot override until next session (or special session, if we have one).

Time is our friend. By the time the override vote comes, We will see whether The Supreme Court has taken more cases (my bet: yes). Plus, we will see some merits briefs in NYSRPA (up for argument in early Oct).

The enthusiasm for this will dissipate the closer we get to a real ruling from the Supreme Court. HPRB is going away one way or the other.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    done. had to leave a message, Told him to not ask mother may I with them. IT is becoming a police state and even the MD COTUS is being trampled upon. Let them veto override.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Emailed NRA’s suggested message a few minutes ago. Just relayed my veto request to his office via telephone. Now we wait.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Some suggested text (I felt the NRA language was weak):

like is here: https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/5735

As a fellow Maryland resident, who supported your campaign, I strongly urge you to veto Senate Bill 1000.

This bill is a pointless power grab by the Democrats.

Senate Bill 1000 seeks to remove citizen oversight regarding the appeals process for Maryland wear and carry (W&C) permits. Democrats are outraged that perhaps a few hundred small and medium sized business owners and realtors are having their W&C restrictions, or outright denials , overturned.

The process that the MSP applies is opaque and inconsistent from applicant to applicant. The testimony in support of this bill was rife with exaggerations and falsehoods. Prohibited persons are not getting W&C permits, the MSP runs fingerprint-based background checks on every applicant.

Current law allows individuals who are denied a wear and carry permit to file an appeal to the Handgun Permit Review Board. SB 1000 would dissolve this board, thus removing all public oversight, and make all appeals be filed through an administrative office, a process riddled with delays and designed to sustain permit denials. By dissolving the board immediately, individuals who appealed in good faith to the HPRB, and have not had their case heard, would be left in limbo.

I would also like to point out that I have carry permits valid in at least 33 other states, but not Maryland. Under court order, The District of Columbia was recently forced to issue carry permits to anyone who can pass the background check and training. The process MD uses to ration carry permits is fundamentally flawed and inconsistent with the 2nd amendment. I am quite confident that the new composition of the Supreme Court will say so, perhaps at its earliest opportunity when they hear New York State Rifle and Pistol vs NYC in Oct 2019.

Again, as a fellow Maryland resident, I urge you to veto Senate Bill 1000 which is a pointless power grab. However, in the event you decline to veto the bill, I strongly urge you to take executive action to (a) make the MSP Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) transparent and uniform and (b)update the SOP to align with D.C. procedure for issuing permits.

Honestly, it probably should be a lot shorter because I would bet 2 paychecks staffers only read the first line.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This this is true, but they cannot override until next session (or special session, if we have one).

Time is our friend. By the time the override vote comes, We will see whether The Supreme Court has taken more cases (my bet: yes). Plus, we will see some merits briefs in NYSRPA (up for argument in early Oct).

The enthusiasm for this will dissipate the closer we get to a real ruling from the Supreme Court. HPRB is going away one way or the other.

Only if the veto over ride is the subject of the special session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom