• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yup. Scared the hell out of me. Luckily the only thing I hit was the land lords work bench. I had to buy him a new laser leveler. It coulda been much, much worse.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I had a buddy who ND'ed a Ballister Molina 1911 when cleaning it at his house right after we got out of college. Put a hole through his window (not safety glass, old house with single-pane sheet glass) he spent weeks worrying that he'd hit someone in the house next door. Went so far as to B&E because he never saw anyone go in or out of it after the ND and thought he'd killed someone. Turns out the previous occupants had moved weeks before and the house was (luckily) empty. Between that, and a friend in 8th grade being killed when his friend ND'ed a new shotgun he was showing off to him, I've kept all my firearms unloaded (with the exception of my HD weapon which is locked in a dedicated safe) unless in use. I always check, double check, and triple check.

At the range, I always clear and drop the hammer/striker while pointed down range during hot before setting a weapon down. I had one go bang once on me and that was enough to tell me that it's necessary to continue that procedure.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    When I was 12, grabbed the bb gun and tried to run out the door, accidentally pulled the trigger and it bounced off a wall, off the ceiling, off another wall and hit my sister in the butt.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I have a friend that moved to his new condo years ago. I walked in and noticed the carpet was shredded and the concrete below was damaged, a hole in the TV and the wall behind it. He said the gun went off when he was playing with is while he was drunk.

I never went over again.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Negligent
    attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a painful lesson. Is that three holes?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I'll fess up.

My EDC is a Shield PC. Originally bought a 9mm, sure enough, few months later the .45acp Shield PC was released and blessed by MSP on the roster. So I bought the .45, but still have the 9mm loaded in the safe. I am VERY familiar with the Shield. I took the 9mm from the safe, dropped the mag, and went to rack the slide to clear chamber. I KNEW I had a loaded firearm in my hands. I am not 100% sure what happened, but lost grip on the slide as I pulled it back. I will at this point say with 99% certainty I was no where near the trigger, but as slide went back into battery the round went off. Hollow point struck the corner of the door of the safe and disintegrated. Jacket ended up on the floor, thank God I followed the key points of firearm safety, and muzzle was pointed down and into the safe. Other than the shock of 9mm inside, and minor damage to corner of safe door, there was no damage. I assume the HP saved me from a round going through safe, I dont know what a ball round would have done. Ricochet?

I say 99% finger was know where near trigger, but could not get either Shield to duplicate firing pin drop, with partial slide pull back and release. So is the 1% a finger getting to trigger?

I almost didn't want to reply, admit to this because it is embarrassing as hell. BUT, goes to prove key safety rules importance, muzzle in safe direction. I intentionally keep muzzle pointed into safe, as that seems to be the best place as I have no clearing trap.

So after I determined everything was ok, I did an inspection of safe contents, one poly mag was hit, (it was in a pocket on door) but no firearms were struck by slugs of fragments that I could tell. So all and all about as good on a AD as I could expect.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thankfully, I've never had one, but I'm anal retentive about checking chambers whenever I pick up a weapon... at least twice in my life I've ejected a live round out of a gun I've KNOWN to be empty. Guns have a way of loading themselves... always check.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I have always lived by the motto "if your goin to be dumb, you gotta be tuff". Haven't shot my self (yet), but chainsaws, power tools, and electricity seem to draw the stupid out in me. :lol2:

Edit: add framing nailers ( wife reminded me)

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Hyper paranoid about ND’s. Never load in house and quadruple check after range time. When I was much younger I watched a friend of a friend slamfire an ancient .22lr pump action into my friends ceiling (thankfully no one upstairs) bc he didn’t know wth he was doing; adopted the “checking 4x is better then checking twice” mentality after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    No indoors ADs, but back in the 80s while deer hunting I set a post on a mountain ridge while still pitch dark. When it started getting light, I realized I wasn't in optimum position to see the game trails right below. Tried to open the bolt to unload so I could climb over some deadfall to get a better position and it wouldn't open. After just a few seconds of being puzzled as to why it wouldn't open, I pushed the safety off and the damn thing discharged scaring the crap out of me! I was completely puzzled about what happened and my hunting buddies swore I must have inadvertently put my finger on the trigger. After a while and some back and forth (they were really ragging on me) I thought maybe I did do that. About 3 years later Remington had their first recall on the 700 for just that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom