• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    When it comes to HD shotguns, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but I think I've narrowed my choice down between either a Benelli M4 or an FN SLP. What say you?

I've had the opportunity to handle both but have not shot either one. I'm leaning toward the Benelli simply because of its lengthy record of service and the simplicity of maintenance. The M4's length of pull and overall feel just seems about as good as it can get.

The SLP, on the other hand, just looks bad ass. Doesn't feel as 'right' as the M4 does, though. FN's reputation for quality kind of speaks for itself. Would appreciate opinions from owners. Thanks!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Benelli m4

Attachments

• 489EA1D9-A7C7-4AA1-989D-89C070CE8E87.jpg
      489EA1D9-A7C7-4AA1-989D-89C070CE8E87.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 3,693

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Very few people run the M4 in 3-gun. The FN used to be the hotness in 3-gun, but people got lazy about maintenance and it fell from favor. I like the FN, it can cycle fast enough to keep up with my shooting. I'd skip the M4 and go to the M2, it has a solid reputation amongst hard use people. I'm keeping my FN, though.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    There is a great video that a local youtube crew did on this exact subject ;)

If someone can check my YT page and embed it here i would appreciate it. I'm on my phone and cant get it right now.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I had the FN and sold it to buy the M4. If it's good enough for the Marine Corps...

If you don't want to drop Benelli money, consider the Remington VersaMax Tactical. They copied Benelli's gas system.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I had the FN and sold it to buy the M4. If it's good enough for the Marine Corps...

If you don't want to drop Benelli money, consider the Remington VersaMax Tactical. They copied Benelli's gas system.

That's what I was thinking, too. If it's good enough for the USMC... Kinda have the hots for the H2O model.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The fact that you had to switch the gas pistons on the FN was the nail in the coffin for me.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I know 2 people who use Winchester SX3's for clays, basically the same shotgun as the FN. I had a Browning Maxus that worked fine the brief time I had, again, basically same gun as the SX3 and FN SLP.

I'd probably pick the Benelli though

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I know 2 people who use Winchester SX3's for clays, basically the same shotgun as the FN. I had a Browning Maxus that worked fine the brief time I had, again, basically same gun as the SX3 and FN SLP.

I'd probably pick the Benelli though

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

The Marines use shotguns to open doors, not really a combat firearm.

The Remington has proven to be unreliable in hard use. They are really soft shooters, though.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    uDhrXVZ.jpg

Really appreciate everyone's input. Will most likely be going for the H2O model for the added corrosion resistance.

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    You should check out the Beretta 1301
    I have the competition model 21” barrel.
    Thumbs up! They also have a 1301 tactical
    Both made in Italy

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Beautiful gun. When can I shoot it?

Hopefully soon, my friend. My work schedule is bru-tal for the next few weeks. I'm hoping to have it by the time the Dottrio shoot rolls around this year...speaking of which, has boundlessdyad given any hints about when/where yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom