• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a couple surefires but for hunting I always have an energizer headlamp with. They are cheap ($15-$25) not uncomfortable even without a hat and are perfect for gutting a deer or as an additional source of light when following a blood trail.

yes :thumbsup: Headlamps are great for field dressing deer in the dark.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have found Surefire to be getting expensive. Streamlight is nice for a nicer price.

At the Great American show, I saw some USB rechargeable ones. Not the greatest for SHTF, but not a bad idea for normal use.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Streamlight protac. Best bang for the buck, great customer support, solid products. Look at the HLX and 2L-x, which can run off CR123 and 18650 rechargables

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For hunting? No doubt about it, a headlamp. Hands free better in the dark in the woods, climbing tree stands, tracking, gutting, etc... For just wandering around in the dark and not carrying anything, a handheld is probably better and your light output options are way better. I carry two backup handhelds, but my primary when hunting is always a headlamp. All my old mini maglites have tooth scratches in the handles from trying to use my hands while needing a flashlight, held very uncomfortably in my mouth (not to mention the constant drool). I don’t judge people for their choices of hunting gear, but on this topic I’d have to say not using a hands-free headlamp (or hat/clip mounted light) for hunting is just crazy. Once I switched years ago, I can’t believe anyone would choose to have one of their hands rendered useless in the dark.

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    You should have two sources of light.At night it is easy to loose your flashlight. I have found this to be true in deer hunting,and

cave exploration. Brand is not important. Your priority is reliability.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You should have two sources of light.At night it is easy to loose your flashlight. I have found this to be true in deer hunting,and

cave exploration. Brand is not important. Your priority is reliability.

When you are spelunking a.k.a. cave exploring rule of thumb is at least 3 sources of light, all of them different kinds if possible. I have a old miners carbit lamp that my grandpa used when he went caving..

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have a headlamp for use field dressing deer in the dark, but I also have these:

https://www.costco.com/Duracell-500-Lumen-LED-Flashlight,-3-pack.product.100431003.html

and these:
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/tasco-led-flashlight/prod16420024.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1

Small and compact, yet bright. Two brightnesses plus strobe and zoom head.
    I carry one in my pocket or coat and another backup in my day pack. I also have a multi D cell Duracell that is like 1500 lumens, but frankly like the small pocket guys better and they seem to be waterproof. No, I haven't tried dunking them.

I also carry one in my car and one in my truck plus a few in my camper

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom