• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Wasn't there a certain generation of the Mini 14 which had serious accuracy issues?

Earlier models with the thin "pencil profile" barrels were less accurate. Adding a stabilizing strut to these older rifles improves the accuracy. The newer heavier tapered profile barrels are much more accurate.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Earlier models with the thin "pencil profile" barrels were less accurate. Adding a stabilizing strut to these older rifles improves the accuracy. The newer heavier tapered profile barrels are much more accurate.

At what point did they improve the "mini 30"? Originally it had LOTS of problems but they were recognized and hopefully fixed. Maybe the 7.62x39 isn't as hot as the 5.56 BUT it's a cheap disposable round which is fine by me for my purposes.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Sort of. The earlier 14s had barrels with a 1 in 12" twist, then they switched to a tighter twist rate. Some had 1 in 7" and some had 1 in 9". The problem was, prior to the new, thicker barreled versions, is they used the same tooling since they started making them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Sort of. The earlier 14s had barrels with a 1 in 12" twist, then they switched to a tighter twist rate. Some had 1 in 7" and some had 1 in 9". The problem was, prior to the new, thicker barreled versions, is they used the same tooling since they started making them.

So the rifles with the 1 in 12 twist rate were the issue, it was not related to the barrel profile?

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I think the tactical model mini 14 is .223 Remington only...Ranch model is both .223/5.56 with a Wylde chambering. Love my Ranch 582 series but would like an AR as well.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I think the tactical model mini 14 is .223 Remington only...Ranch model is both .223/5.56 with a Wylde chambering. Love my Ranch 582 series but would like an AR as well.

All newer mini 14's shoot both.223 and 5.56 with the only exception being the target model that is .223 only.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    It was because of barrel whip. After firing the first 3 rounds. That's why the brace helped accuracy

Correct. After the first several rounds heat up the barrel, the harmonics change and the pencil barrel would start flinging rounds around erratically. The barrel brace solves this problem, by stabilizing the harmonics. It can also help the heat dissipate, but adding a heat sink.

The thicker barrel has the same effect as adding a heavy target type barrel and fixing the barrel whip by adding more metal.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    I have both an Mini 14 and an AR15. I shoot better with the AR15, but enjoy the Mini 14 more for it's simplicity.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    Here's a picture. Both are useful. Only one is pretty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 234

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads