• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I looked but having trouble finding those rules.

Its in the Springfield twp of York county.

There are ordinances in york website for a "communication tower" but i think they mean for commercial use. I couldn't find anything that applies to residential amateur use.

Ill ask some folks in the york ham club.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

SNIP

The Club should be able to help with the tower question as well. Maybe they will help you set up if you join them???

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD

There are ordinances in york website for a "communication tower" but i think they mean for commercial use. I couldn't find anything that applies to residential amateur use.

I would check with the county and verify if they have jurisdiction over the town. Before I put up my tower, I contacted the county by phone and by e-mail (so that I had a response in writing) to check if a permit was required to put up a tower. In Carroll county, amateur radio towers are considered exiting structures to the home and a permit is only required if it is a commercial use tower.

So I was happy that I could put up my tower without a permit. However, I need a permit if I was to put in a shed that exceeded 10 x 12 ft, go figure.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    In moco they are accessory structures (unless they attach to the house somehow) and require a separate permit but are allowed

Myself I would not get the MA5B. I'm sure it works but traps and X-hats are quirky and may in time be a reliability issue.

Is that a crank up tower you are looking at or a guyed tower?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Anyone ever try to access a Flex 6300 over the internet from a Windows 10 PC?

I cannot seem to log in to Flex's app from my Windows 10 PC. The login either hangs or says I'm logged in but doesn't do anything.

I also tried SDR Sharp. I have the right IP and when I use the port number 4994 it doesn't give me an error but hangs the SDR Sharp app.

anyone have any suggestions?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Anyone ever try to access a Flex 6300 over the internet from a Windows 10 PC?

I cannot seem to log in to Flex's app from my Windows 10 PC. The login either hangs or says I'm logged in but doesn't do anything.

I also tried SDR Sharp. I have the right IP and when I use the port number 4994 it doesn't give me an error but hangs the SDR Sharp app.

anyone have any suggestions?

What version of the Flex software are you using?

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    For anyone that has the capability, theres a 160m net on 1900khz at 2100 local M-F. Most are east coast guys with a few checkins from as far west as Indiana. Usually a topic is picked and everyone has a chance to chime in. There have been as many as 35 checkins during the winter months but with the increase of storms and static crashes, about half that now. Good idea to run an amplifier if you have one.

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Cheap SDR Digital Trunking Scanner

I have a couple of cheap SDR dongles and have wanted to try this out for a while. Using Unitrunker, DSD+, VBcable software and two SDR devices you can make a pretty nice trunking scanner. All of the software is free. After some trial and error while tweaking the setting it works very well and I've been listening to the Anne Arundel County trunking system for about a week now. Very entertaining! It's definitely worth the effort to take the time getting it up and running. I'm now looking into a better antenna setup.

Attachments

• Unitrunker SDR setup.jpg
      Unitrunker SDR setup.jpg
      91.6 KB · Views: 221
    • unitrunker screenshot resize.jpg
      unitrunker screenshot resize.jpg
      106.4 KB · Views: 220

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have a couple of cheap SDR dongles and have wanted to try this out for a while. Using Unitrunker, DSD+, VBcable software and two SDR devices you can make a pretty nice trunking scanner. All of the software is free. After some trial and error while tweaking the setting it works very well and I've been listening to the Anne Arundel County trunking system for about a week now. Very entertaining! It's definitely worth the effort to take the time getting it up and running. I'm now looking into a better antenna setup.

Cool.

I wonder how it compares to a commercial trunking scanner.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

This is very neat. thanks for sharing.

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Cool.

I wonder how it compares to a commercial trunking scanner.

Not sure but it is certainly a lot cheaper if you have an available computer. The SDR dongles are $21.95 each on Amazon and the software is free. I always wanted trunking scanner but could never justify the expense. I am very happy with the performance and sound quality after I got the settings optimized!

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    OK, I need an SDR for Dummies brief, before I start spending money wildly! :lol2:

Here is a good place to get started. First get familiar with using the SDR in SDR# because you will need it to verify the trunking control frequencies. Practice by tuning into a local FM station and just start playing with the settings. Once familiar then you can start putting together your trunking scanner.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    OK, I need an SDR for Dummies brief, before I start spending money wildly! :lol2:.

I got this one for about $100:
    https://airspy.com/airspy-mini/

So far I've used it to:
    * monitor ham bands above 24 mhz
    * aircraft ads-b
    * receive weather satellite images

They sell a converter that allows you to use it down to 1 khz for $50.

In my next shack I plan on using this to monitor the airways, then switch over to my HF rig to transmit.

Their software, SDR Sharp, is great. Very easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom