• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Hi guys. Long story short, I'm moving back to MD from CA in a few months, and my dad has said he's willing to have me "early inherit" a couple of the firearms from his grandfather's collection that was handed down to him. There's more to the collection, but the two I'll be receiving are a Savage .32 and .38 semi-auto handgun. Pretty neat little pieces from 1907 or so. So clearly C&R.

I started to price out typical FFL/Dealer transfer fees and realized that it'll be pretty expensive to transfer his entire collection (from MI where he is) if we have to go to a dealer each time. Plus, the more I think about it, I could see easily getting into collecting C&Rs over time. There's just something about old guns...

A couple of things I read online (linked below) made me think that it would be possible to get a C&R FFL, which would make it easier/cheaper to transfer my dad's collection, and would also set me up to buy as I found new C&Rs I want.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/how-to-get-your-curio-relics-license/

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

I wanted to check here to see if that's the case. I searched the forum quickly, but didn't see this specific topic. I'm a noob (don't own anything yet), but am a casual shooter for the past couple of years (just renting).

Questions

1) Is it true that C&R FFLs (who also have in-state FOID...Firearm Owner ID...which I assume is what I get when I take the MD safety class/test), can transfer directly to each other without going through a Class 01 FFL (i.e., dealer), avoiding DROS (and related fees), etc.

2) Are there any other hidden fees, licenses, registrations, etc., that I'm forgetting about. Been teaching myself a lot of federal and CA the past year. At least it can't get anymore complicated than here! (Aside, it was funny to see DC or MD referring back to CA's rules/lists for registration). We thought about moving to VA, but it does't work well for the daily commute.

For example, is there a special MD C&R also, or just the FFL?

3) Is there any training or courses you have to take to become a C&R FFL, or is it just the form and $30 for 3 years fee that the first link discusses?

I realize this may be a sensitive subject because it could be seen as though we're trying to "get around the law" somehow. But since C&R FFLs have to record their purchases and sales, and I'd still have to register in MD, the authorities would have all the info they want.

That said, I'm open to other easier methods of transferring into MD (other than the obvious under-the-table). I want to keep this on the up-and-up.

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll see some of you at the range when we move (targeting Bethesda and Rockville area, and there seem to be some great rangers and clubs around there or just over the boarder into VA).

Cheers!

-Matt

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You're good to go if you have a C&R FFL as a MD resident and your family members with C&R handguns live out of state.

MD's version of FOID is called a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). You need it to buy non-C&R handguns, *but* C&R handguns are exempt.

More importantly, the HQL doesn't apply if you have a C&R FFL and you buy/acquire C&R handguns or long guns out of state. Better yet, the guns can be shipped directly to your house by UPS or FedEx.

mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks, Boom Boom! So the HQL is really a "to buy in in MD" license, eh?

In terms of transporting, I assume once we both have our FFLs (C&R), he can bring them to me or I could go to MI to get them from him. Sound right? I know it's a federal offense to bring a gun across state lines to give it to someone (and vice versa).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So the HQL is really a "to buy in in MD" license, eh?

A MD resident must have the HQL in order to buy/acquire non-C&R handguns. Since 1968, federal law requires you to buy/sell/transfer handguns within your state of residence, so no getting around that unless you have an FFL.

In terms of transporting, I assume once we both have our FFLs (C&R), he can bring them to me or I could go to MI to get them from him. Sound right? I know it's a federal offense to bring a gun across state lines to give it to someone (and vice versa).

If you transport the C&R guns yourselves, you both need to be mindful of state law in each state you pass through on your way. Every state has different laws. Research FOPA gun law to learn how to do it legally.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Your father doesn't need a C&R FFL to give you/transfer a C&R firearm.

You can get your C&R, go to his home, pick them up, bring them back to Maryland, and log them in your A-D Log.

No BSHQL required.

And I am pretty certain you won't/don't have to register C&R handguns with the MSP.

PS: Of course all of this open to change by the Grabbers in Annapolis. They're always searching for new and creative ways to infringe.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Once you have the FFL03, he can ship them to you overnight direct to your house via FedEx or UPS, not US Postal.

There is no "somehow getting around the law" - it just feels that way with respect to Maryland law. The FFL03 was created exactly for collectors to acquire eligible firearms via interstate transactions.

Just be sure to log them in your bound volume.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Once you have the FFL03, he can ship them to you overnight direct to your house via FedEx or UPS, not US Postal.

There is no "somehow getting around the law" - it just feels that way with respect to Maryland law. The FFL03 was created exactly for collectors to acquire eligible firearms via interstate transactions.

Just be sure to log them in your bound volume.

Which will alleviate the driving through certain states nonsense.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Which will alleviate the driving through certain states nonsense.

I don't believe that FedEx or UPS has to be overnight, just via air (e.g., not UPS Ground or FedEx Home). So either of their Second Day services should suffice. I've received and shipped C&Rs Second Day air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I always hate when somebody does this, but this one time, it fits.

At the top of this sub forum, is a sticky about C&R Faq's . Read it . It has the answers to all your questions, plus others you didn't know you had.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I always hate when somebody does this, but this one time, it fits.

At the top of this sub forum, is a sticky about C&R Faq's . Read it . It has the answers to all your questions, plus others you didn't know you had.

Good point. It doesn't bother me when people who behave like grown ups, like you, point such things out, because you simply point them out instead of treating posters like children.
    Unfortunately, I participate in this via Tapatalk and I didn't see the sticky post.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's how I transferred a 1911 from my Dad to me. I just picked it up when I was home on vacation and it went into the bound book.
    I wanna see photos of the Savages after they make their way into your collection!

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    If you have/get your C&R, you can go to him and pick them up (after checking transport laws) and bring them back or as others have stated, have them shipped directly to your home here in MD., and log them into your book.

IF HE BRINGS THEM TO MD. you will have to do the whole 4473/77R transfer/registration/7 day wait crap.

Bottom line, go get them or have them shipped. (specifically talking about only the C&R stuff)

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer) (and I hope I didn't just feed a troll)

mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Hi guys! Thanks to everyone for the pointers on this thread! Applied for my C&R and it came through last week. Now I just can't wait to use it :)

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Good point. It doesn't bother me when people who behave like grown ups, like you, point such things out, because you simply point them out instead of treating posters like children.
    Unfortunately, I participate in this via Tapatalk and I didn't see the sticky post.

Federal Law on Transportation of Firearms

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearms if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom