• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tube Screamer

Jan 29, 2014
    Found two rifles in a case at the New Germany gun range.

We tried to turn them over to the nearby ranger station but they wouldn't take them so we took them to the to the MSP Barracks in McHenry.

In the off chance anyone knows anyone pass this on please.

Thanks

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That's one hell of an honest thing to do.

A LOT of folks wouldn't have been so kind.

Good job for doing it and for taking the time to post the information here.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    dang, great job!

What was the Ranger Station reason?

Maryland Park Rangers are not law enforcement now a days, and most have limited if any firearm experience, and thus are told if you don't know what your doing, don't touch them.

Then there is the storing of this lost and found property to make sure no one unauthorized gets to it. Then it gets confusing on can you release these firearms back to the "owner". Is a NICS check required? What if this person is not allowed to own firearms? How do you know if this is actually the legal owner? Stuff Ranger are not trained to do.

Also, the Savage River range is owned and operated by the state forest, not the parks. Splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

*If* the Ranger took possession, I would assume they would immediately turn them over to Natural Resource Police. That's what I would do.

Don't think they were being rude or uncaring, it's just a situation way beyond the comfort level of most.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Maryland Park Rangers are not law enforcement now a days, and most have limited if any firearm experience, and thus are told if you don't know what your doing, don't touch them.

Then there is the storing of this lost and found property to make sure no one unauthorized gets to it. Then it gets confusing on can you release these firearms back to the "owner". Is a NICS check required? What if this person is not allowed to own firearms? How do you know if this is actually the legal owner? Stuff Ranger are not trained to do.

Also, the Savage River range is owned and operated by the state forest, not the parks. Splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

*If* the Ranger took possession, I would assume they would immediately turn them over to Natural Resource Police. That's what I would do.

Don't think they were being rude or uncaring, it's just a situation way beyond the comfort level of most.

Thanks, makes sense.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I did this back in 1987. I left my Remington 760 in 30-06. in a hard case at a firing point. I drove the hour home
    to open my trunk and to my dismay my rifle was not there. I called the Pa state police that patrol in that area and the desk sergeant
    stated "Yep its here"! Drove the hour back to retrieve my rifle. Feeling like I ass when I walked into the State Police Barracks.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Good job. I just can't imagine anyone forgetting their rifles. Must have been in a hurry.

I used to think that as well.
    Then on one outing with a friend and his son, the friend had to leave in a hurry. We packed up. I go back home and got a panicked call that my friend left several guns at the range.
    I set a land speed record for an old pick up 7 miles to the club.
    No guns.
    Friend called and told me his son unloaded some guns from truck without him knowing.

You're a good man OP.

3 Gun Gal

Aug 2, 2016
    Carroll Co.
    Leaving guns behind is more common than you would think. There have been several 3 gun matches I've been to where a gun or guns in cases were left on a stage. There is so much gear and so many bags, including people carpooling with all their gear too, that it is sometimes hard to see whether you've got it all. When you leave, there are often still other gun cases on the ground so you have to be super vigilant to make sure you have all your stuff before you leave. I know I double check before leaving. "1, 2, 3 guns? Okay, I'm good to go."

I commend the people around the gun community who choose honesty and return lost items rather than claiming finders keepers.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I simply can not imagine myself NOT turning them in to some proper authority.
    First, I couldn't live with myself.
    Second, I wouldn't want to ever be found to possess a rifle(s) that would have been likely reported stolen.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    25 years ago I left a 50 cal can full or 762 x 39 next to the car at Elk Neck back when I was living in Newark DE, so it can be done by an otherwise intelligent human. I went back when I realized an hour or so later, it was gone.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I need to stop by there more often. All kinds of good stuff just lying around that range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom