Can someone PLEASE clear things up for me!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    I would like to apologize if this issue has already been cleared up in another post, I couldn't find a solid answer upon a quick search so im opening this thread in hopes for some enlightenment. Please understand that I am extremely frustrated at this point because I may be loosing ALOT of money.

So as of right now, I have 4 Items that I purchased and have not yet picked up, all of which I have done paperwork on.

BACKGROUND: I picked up 2 pistols about a month ago and I am not a collector so I have to wait 60 days now until my next pick (it will be after Oct 1)

After picking up these pistols, I bought and did the paperwork on an AK and Stripped Lower at a different store (both on same paperwork) - thinking that I would pick them up in 60 days without issue since they were purchased before Oct 1.

The following week I bought and did paper work on 2 other pistols ( 2 separate paperworks at 2 separate stores) - thinking each would be picked up 30 and 60 days after picking up the AK and lower.

I went to a local gun shop today (the same place I bought the AK and lower from) to buy another lower as my last firearm purchase for the year and was told that I cannot purchase or do the paperwork on this lower as I am only allowed to do ONE paperwork per month. Up til this point I always thought I could do as many paper works as I wanted as long as each pick up was 30 days apart.

I called the shop where I purchased the pistol from and was told the same thing. When asking what would happen to all the firearms that I did paperwork on this month, I was told they would get denied by MDSP and I would loose the money I put in on buying them (over $2500 for all 4 purchases!)

I called another LGS and they also confirmed this. At this point I am about to explode and I would like a 100% accurate answer - so that if it is the case that I cannot complete any more paperworks, I can go ahead and cancel the orders I have and try to get back as much money as possible.

Can somebody with some real knowledge of the law PLEASE let me know what the situation is so that I can act accordingly.

If it is too much to type, you can private message me and I will give you my phone number so you can explain it over the phone to a very frustrated lover of the 2nd Amendment.

Sorry for the long post, I just need some quick answers :confused::confused::confused:

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    For those who were turned off by the long post, here is a shorter version:

Can I do more than one paperwork on a regulated firearm within a month? And can I pick up an AR15\AK74 after Oct 1st?

I have been told by 3 LGS's that I cannot and that I would loose the money on the regulated firearms that I bought once they are denied by MDSP.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Honestly, it sounds like you're going to have to try to return what you can, and find some buyers for whatever you can't. They buy from you, then do the paperwork for themselves.

You might be able to find buyers who will jump at 5%--10% off what you paid and let you avoid a 15% (for example) restocking fee. Win-win, relatively speaking. Or at least, win for them, not as much loss for you.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Honestly, it sounds like you're going to have to try to return what you can, and find some buyers for whatever you can't. They buy from you, then do the paperwork for themselves.

You might be able to find buyers who will jump at 5%--10% off what you paid and let you avoid a 15% (for example) restocking fee. Win-win, relatively speaking. Or at least, win for them, not as much loss for you.

But he has paperwork pending at MSP. I don't think anyone else can do paperwork til it comes back, which will be post 10/1.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I'd call MSP and tell them what happened and see if they can put a rush on rejecting your 77r's. then you might be able to sell the stuff

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    For those who were turned off by the long post, here is a shorter version:

Can I do more than one paperwork on a regulated firearm within a month? And can I pick up an AR15\AK74 after Oct 1st?

I have been told by 3 LGS's that I cannot and that I would loose the money on the regulated firearms that I bought once they are denied by MDSP.

It was my understanding that what you are saying is correct. I believe they used to not allow you to submit more than one/30 days. I believe with the backup that dealers were told to take apps and only release one gun/30 days. However it would seem apparent that the problem here is that you could go to separate stores. I also believe they can look at the release date which I believe stays with the dealer. You would probably get into serious trouble for violating this, so maybe it's on you.

Why not apply for collectors license like yesterday? Get your stuff cleared out asap! I would think that any dealer will take your money and release to you whenever.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    But he has paperwork pending at MSP. I don't think anyone else can do paperwork til it comes back, which will be post 10/1.

Doh! Of course.

In that case, unless he can get the paperwork 'annulled' by MSP, he would have to seek buyers out of state, and make sure he documents it _very_ carefully. Perhaps the FFL could send his purchases to a PA or VA dealer who does consignments.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Why not apply for collectors license like yesterday? Get your stuff cleared out asap! I would think that any dealer will take your money and release to you whenever.

This would be decent advice, if the question were asked last month. Too late for that now.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Q: Can I complete an additional application for the purchase of a regulated firearm even though I am currently waiting for my previous application to be approved

A: A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-Day period. You may complete more than one application within 30 days, however you may not transfer or take possession of more than one firearm within the 30 day period.*Exceptions to this rule are listed on the*Regulated Firearms Collector*page.

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland

The answer on the MDSP website seems to contradict what everyone else here is saying. MDSP seems to indicate that I can do more than one paperwork in a month as long as each pick up is 30 days apart:

"Q: Can I complete an additional application for the purchase of a regulated firearm even though I am currently waiting for my previous application to be approved?
    A: A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-Day period. You may complete more than one application within 30 days, however you may not transfer or take possession of more than one firearm within the 30 day period. Exceptions to this rule are listed on the Regulated Firearms Collector page."

Is there something that is getting lost in translation here?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Is 'importing' AKs and ARs now illegal in MD?
    Before - you could bring your stash into the state,
    no registration.
    NOW?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    The answer on the MDSP website seems to contradict what everyone else here is saying. MDSP seems to indicate that I can do more than one paperwork in a month as long as each pick up is 30 days apart:

"Q: Can I complete an additional application for the purchase of a regulated firearm even though I am currently waiting for my previous application to be approved?
    A: A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-Day period. You may complete more than one application within 30 days, however you may not transfer or take possession of more than one firearm within the 30 day period. Exceptions to this rule are listed on the Regulated Firearms Collector page."

I think you are running into this problem because you purchased at multiple shops and they don't want to be responsible for coordinating the release with other shops or potentially making a mistake. Or storing your purchase for another 60+ days. Talk to one of the IP's here. Jvegas might be able to answer your questions.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Either way the second pair of pistols couldn't be picked up without an HQL, since they would have been transferred after Oct.1. For the lower and AK, presumably they are at the shop so the serial numbers can be noted in a "purchase order" and they can be picked up after Oct. 1 as well.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Probably - we are in the the inner boilers of MD politics.. filthy business..
    I think you are in the clear for filing multiple apps.
    You are now going to be under the new fingerprint, licensing, etc. regime.
    Not my taste, but really so what except inconvenience and cost. We are all documented like crazy, so it's - for me - the principle.
    I'll not play those reindeer games..

Can you move into MD after Oct. 1 w/ ars or aks? no registry?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Honestly, it looks like worst case you should just have to wait to pickup the last 2 handguns. The ak and lower will be ok when your 60 is up.

Wait another 60 for the handguns. You'll have to get an HQL for them, but I can't imagine you will actually be out the firearms and your $ for purchase.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    In any event the OP should probably apply for Designated Collector status now so he can pick up the pistols at the same time after Oct. 1, and apply for the HQL whenever that mythical beast appears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom