• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    That is what appears to be happening. Right after MLK day, we had just 2 or 3 handguns to be picked up and all 3 had a day added to their 7 day wait. We have 4 to be picked up this week which follows Presidents day. 3 of 4 had a 7 day pickup. One had an 8 day pickup (it was purchased on Tuesday before Presidents Day but the stated release date on the Final Disposition Column was for Weds Feb 22. Another handgun purchased on Weds Feb 15 is scheduled for release by MSP on Weds Feb 22 as well. Two others purchased last week have 7 day releases also specified. Given this difference, I am inclined to believe that the software isn't the issue, but that individuals are responsible for entering the release dates into the Final Disposition Column on the Dealers portal.

Have you let MSP know about the discrepancies? I imagine they'd like to know if there's a training/SOP issue with how they're handling this process, and you have the documentary evidence that those of us on the consumer end can't provide...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I would expect some of these smallish issues.

Places where the programmers were not quite clear on the rules. But that is why there is maintenance.

The issue doesn't surprise me. I am a retired IT Systems Programmer who worked closely at times with Applications Programmers. What does 'surprise me' a bit is the apparent inconsistency. Makes me think that the release dates may not be automatically calculated but entered into the database by the reviewer. Just a guess, obviously, on my part.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Have you let MSP know about the discrepancies? I imagine they'd like to know if there's a training/SOP issue with how they're handling this process, and you have the documentary evidence that those of us on the consumer end can't provide...

I did make it known via a phone call back in January. I was too busy Tuesday and Wednesday this week (my work days) to take time to make the call. Yesterday, I was busy with personal things. I will try to find time to make another call sometime soon.

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    I did make it known via a phone call back in January. I was too busy Tuesday and Wednesday this week (my work days) to take time to make the call. Yesterday, I was busy with personal things. I will try to find time to make another call sometime soon.

No worries - I didn't mean to imply that you had some obligation to do it. It's just that, as a gov lawyer who reviews SOPs as part of my job, this hits a little close to home. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The issue doesn't surprise me. I am a retired IT Systems Programmer who worked closely at times with Applications Programmers. What does 'surprise me' a bit is the apparent inconsistency. Makes me think that the release dates may not be automatically calculated but entered into the database by the reviewer. Just a guess, obviously, on my part.

It seems consistent, but wrong.

They are adding an extra day if there is a holiday, which is wrong. But it seems any application that spanned the last two Federal holidays added the extra day.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

They are adding an extra day if there is a holiday, which is wrong. But it seems any application that spanned the last two Federal holidays added the extra day.

Well, that's what they did on MLK Jr day. But on Presidents day, only 1 person had the day added....which as you noted, is wrong.

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017

I filed last Friday, and got the email this morning, so they clearly didn't add an extra day [for President's Day].

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    No worries - I didn't mean to imply that you had some obligation to do it. It's just that, as a gov lawyer who reviews SOPs as part of my job, this hits a little close to home. :)

LOL!! I'm thick skinned enough that I'm not gonna worry if somebody did imply that! Furthermore, I never took it that way. However, if I don't do it, it may or may not ever get done. In other words, someone has to do it and if everyone leaves it up to someone else it will never get reported.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Ok, I've cleared up the issue (I think).
    Just got off the phone with the MSP Firearms section. Release dates are after 7 days (which we all know). Day 1 is the purchase date.

A day is not added if the normal 8th day is on a Sunday or Holiday. It is added IF the 7th day is a Sunday or Holiday. That fits with what just happened.

We had 2 separate purchasers, one on Tues and one on Weds, they were both given release dates of Weds.

While the Tuesday purchaser would ordinarily do a pickup on the following Tues (day 1 is the purchase date, day 8 is the 'normal' release date occurring after the 7th day). However, since day 7 (Monday) occurred on Presidents day, 1 day was added to the release date which then became Weds. The Weds purchaser had a 7th day of Tues which was NOT a Federal holiday, so they could pick up on Weds which is their normal '8th' day.

The purchasers who bought later in the week also were given a normal 8th day (after the 7th day) release.

Does it make sense? I guess it kind'a does to me. So it appears they did fix the problem properly that occurred back on MLK day when all our purchasers had a day added for the Federal Holiday.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Just got off the phone with the MSP Firearms section. Release dates are after 7 days (which we all know). Day 1 is the purchase date.

A day is not added if the normal 8th day is on a Sunday or Holiday. It is added IF the 7th day is a Sunday or Holiday. That fits with what just happened.

Sorta.. I filed 2/13 (Monday). 7th day fell on a Sunday, but because Monday was a holiday, I had to wait till Weds (10th day?)...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

We had 2 separate purchasers, one on Tues and one on Weds, they were both given release dates of Weds.

While the Tuesday purchaser would ordinarily do a pickup on the following Tues (day 1 is the purchase date, day 8 is the 'normal' release date occurring after the 7th day). However, since day 7 (Monday) occurred on Presidents day, 1 day was added to the release date which then became Weds. The Weds purchaser had a 7th day of Tues which was NOT a Federal holiday, so they could pick up on Weds which is their normal '8th' day.

The purchasers who bought later in the week also were given a normal 8th day (after the 7th day) release.

Does it make sense? I guess it kind'a does to me. So it appears they did fix the problem properly that occurred back on MLK day when all our purchasers had a day added for the Federal Holiday.

So, on a Federal Monday holiday weekend, guns purchased on the previous Saturday will be released of course not on Sunday (8th day) in accordance with MD law, nor Monday (9th day, but the holiday) in accordance with MD law nor Tuesday (10th day) but on Wednesday ... the 11th day ... just because some bureaucrat likes to add days??

I thought COMAR just said the handgun could not be released on Sunday nor a holiday ... nothing about "adding days" from the interregnum ??? Am I mistaken??

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So, on a Federal Monday holiday weekend, guns purchased on the previous Saturday will be released of course not on Sunday (8th day) in accordance with MD law, nor Monday (9th day, but the holiday) in accordance with MD law nor Tuesday (10th day) but on Wednesday ... the 11th day ... just because some bureaucrat likes to add days??

I thought COMAR just said the handgun could not be released on Sunday nor a holiday ... nothing about "adding days" from the interregnum ??? Am I mistaken??

Confusing, yes? But you also miscalculated.

A gun purchased on on a 'normal' Saturday can ordinarily be picked up the following Saturday (Day 1 is Saturday, Day 7 is Friday, Day 8 is Saturday). Even with the Monday holiday, since day 7 (Friday) is not a holiday the gun may be still picked up on Saturday. A gun purchased on Tuesday before the Monday Holiday, however, would have the Monday holiday as the 7th day and, according to MSP Licensing, the firearm must be held over an extra day. The 'normal' 8th day doesn't matter. What matters is the 7th day. That fits with what happened with our customers. A Tuesday purchase before the holiday had a Weds release date because the 7th day (Monday) WAS a holiday. A Weds purchase before the Monday holiday was released on the following Weds because the 7th day (Tuesday) was NOT a holiday.

No, that did not fit with my understanding prior to the January 1 implementation of the online system. I intend to go back and read the instructions again when I get a chance.

I would presume the reasoning is that offices are generally closed on those holidays and the 7th day is the last possibility of initiating a Hold or Disapproved. FYI, This is MY presumption... not anything I have read or heard directly stated.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I did paperwork on two handguns, one on the 14th and one on the 15th. Both emails came on the 22nd. Masters of inconsistency!:)

The 14th was impacted by the 7th day being a holiday. The purchase on the 15th had the 7th day NOT on a holiday.

But yeah, before my call I thought there was something inconsistent or otherwise flakey also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Confusing, yes? But you also miscalculated.

A gun purchased on on a 'normal' Saturday can ordinarily be picked up the following Saturday (Day 1 is Saturday, Day 7 is Friday, Day 8 is Saturday). Even with the Monday holiday, since day 7 (Friday) is not a holiday the gun may be still picked up on Saturday. A gun purchased on Tuesday before the Monday Holiday, however, would have the Monday holiday as the 7th day and, according to MSP Licensing, the firearm must be held over an extra day. The 'normal' 8th day doesn't matter. What matters is the 7th day. That fits with what happened with our customers. A Tuesday purchase before the holiday had a Weds release date because the 7th day (Monday) WAS a holiday. A Weds purchase before the Monday holiday was released on the following Weds because the 7th day (Tuesday) was NOT a holiday.

No, that did not fit with my understanding prior to the January 1 implementation of the online system. I intend to go back and read the instructions again when I get a chance.

I would presume the reasoning is that offices are generally closed on those holidays and the 7th day is the last possibility of initiating a Hold or Disapproved. FYI, This is MY presumption... not anything I have read or heard directly stated.

Yeah, that sounds wrong.

Should have been Tuesday (7th) release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom