• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Last year we were able to go into the XX Office Building and register on a touchscreen either for or against pending bills and indicate that we were or were not going to testify. Does anyone know if that system will be used this year? It was a great alternative to submitting written testimony and all the hassle associated therewith.

That system is to my understanding now permanent.
    Has been since 2014 when we overwhelmed the old school (pen and paper sign up sheet) during the FSA 2013 event.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Like Mopar said in #13 , have multiple points to make about each Bill .

( Unless you are the first person to testify, and you won't since the Official Spokespeople for the Orgs will go first.) Listen to preceeding Testimony , then make on the fly adjustment to yours.

If there was a rare Anti , rebut their testimony if appropriate, and you can do so.

If some on our side touches on a point in passing, you can reinforce it in greater depth.

If people on our side have done well on all the angles used so far, use a different angle. Even if it is only you 3rd tier argument, new ground is better than multiple reruns, unless your new approach massively sucks.

Put multiple ideas into your written Testimony, but that doesn't lock you into your Oral testimony. Use just parts of written as appropriate, or go totally fresh.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Does written testimony really help? I doubt it gets read. So, does a big pile of paper make any difference?

For oral testimony, Be familiar with the bill. Use the Mopar rule; have more than one argument against it. Tell a story and be passionate.
    My first year, I read my prepared remarks. Try not to do that. They want to hear your story.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Does written testimony really help? I doubt it gets read. So, does a big pile of paper make any difference?

Right in the middle of a grand theatrical performance one of the leading actors collapses, groaning, on stage. Responding to anxious requests for help from the manager a concerned huddle soon develops around him consisting, among others, of not a few eminent physicians who happen to be present in the auditorium. As they cluster round discussing possible diagnoses and treatments and the audience looks on enthralled, a voice rings out from the balcony:
    "Give him an enema!"
    The figures on stage pay no attention and carry on with their deliberations. For a second time the voice cries out:
    "Give him an enema!"
    The discussions on stage continue, perhaps becoming somewhat more heated, and more urgent. For a third time, louder than before, the voice comes:
    "Give the poor man an enema!"
    Exasperated, one of the figures on stage turns and addresses the source of the voice, a small wizened Jewish grandmother:
    "My good woman", he says, "This man is gravely ill. How on earth would an enema help him?
    Well, It wouldn’t hurt!!!”

Written testimony, although about as pleasant to write as an enema, is one more way of getting the word to the legicritters. Even if they don't read it all, at least we can hope they count the number of Support vs. Oppose.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Last year we were able to go into the XX Office Building and register on a touchscreen either for or against pending bills and indicate that we were or were not going to testify. Does anyone know if that system will be used this year? It was a great alternative to submitting written testimony and all the hassle associated therewith.

Yep, and that system is also to let them know if you have submitted written testimony along with your oral testimony. Which they will tell you not to read your written testimony to them in the hearing.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yep, and that system is also to let them know if you have submitted written testimony along with your oral testimony. Which they will tell you not to read your written testimony to them in the hearing.

This is an excellent point and I'm thankful you mentioned it.

Fine to speak on one or some concise key points that may be in your written testimony if it hasn't been covered prior to your testimony time, but remember that your time is very limited. Why spend it saying what's on the paper they'll have a copy of? I've done this myself before and regretted it later. You may only have a couple of chances to speak.

It may be far more effective to soak in what's being said by others, including the legislators, and then add, rebut, clarify, or introduce something that hasn't been said yet.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Right in the middle of a grand theatrical performance one of the leading actors collapses, groaning, on stage. Responding to anxious requests for help from the manager a concerned huddle soon develops around him consisting, among others, of not a few eminent physicians who happen to be present in the auditorium. As they cluster round discussing possible diagnoses and treatments and the audience looks on enthralled, a voice rings out from the balcony:
    "Give him an enema!"
    The figures on stage pay no attention and carry on with their deliberations. For a second time the voice cries out:
    "Give him an enema!"
    The discussions on stage continue, perhaps becoming somewhat more heated, and more urgent. For a third time, louder than before, the voice comes:
    "Give the poor man an enema!"
    Exasperated, one of the figures on stage turns and addresses the source of the voice, a small wizened Jewish grandmother:
    "My good woman", he says, "This man is gravely ill. How on earth would an enema help him?
    Well, It wouldn’t hurt!!!”

Written testimony, although about as pleasant to write as an enema, is one more way of getting the word to the legicritters. Even if they don't read it all, at least we can hope they count the number of Support vs. Oppose.

Also written testimony goes into the public record...So we can always refer back to 2013 when the ratio against and for the false security act of 2013 was 100:1.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Can anyone make/get a poster sized copy of this? It would come in handy, IMO.

for-ever-500x419.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Need to include drinking and driving and smartphoning while driving.

Neither should be included in "Accidents".

Because there was thought and action which preceded/caused the deadly crash.

All that aside, I like your idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom