• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I think the time for a takeover is getting close.

Attachments

• MDSindoorrange.jpg
      MDSindoorrange.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 536

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Haven't shot in a public indoor range in nearly a decade. Too expensive, too restrictive, frequented by unsafe idiots, get treated like a leper by staff, probably jaded from dealing with unsafe idiots. There are a couple exceptions, and some newer ranges that people seem happy with, but have had enough bad experiences at Select Fire, On Target and Continental that I would rather drive an hour and shoot in the snow at a private range, or at least a laid back outdoor public range.

It seems every indoor range I have been to, acts this way. Why do indoor range operators feel like they have to be big dicks to everyone? I am sorry idiots frequent these places. But they know that going in......

I avoid all indoor ranges. Its the only way to be sure........ :rolleyes:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have several zeroes that could be persuaded to join the party...

I'd invest too.

The big question is where are we going to find two qualified A-holes to work at the counter, 12hrs per day, and treat customers like total idiots.

Also I'm not in favor if changing the "no cell phone" policy. We don't want any morons mistakenly answering their Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    It's a lot harder to deal with people with guns at a range. You have no idea of their level of expertise .
    God help you if you get some guy who thinks he's an operator. Next time you're at an indoor range count the holes in the ceiling.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    It's a lot harder to deal with people with guns at a range. You have no idea of their level of expertise .
    God help you if you get some guy who thinks he's an operator. Next time you're at an indoor range count the holes in the ceiling.

One of the first things I notice is the baffle strikes at an indoor range. Might be one of the many reasons I stay out of them. Way too many unskilled shooters.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That's why I have a pistol and rifle range set up in the yard. Amen for land and nobody around!
    That's one of the things I miss about Nebraska. While my Dad was still the police chief in my hometown, he had a range set up right on the outskirts of town where they installed a bit dirt berm as a backstop, and he had a big piece of the old carpet that he'd gotten when they installed new carpet in the office where my mom worked - this made policing up brass a lot easier. We had steel disks, a big gong, and a place where we could post up paper targets.

Later, after he retired, he set up a range on a piece of land owned by a relative that probably wasn't even a full mile past the town's city limits. It was basically a repeat of the other range, but he and a friend added some other steel targets and they built a benchrest and placed it a measured 100 yards from the target posts.

We could get to both ranges inside of 10 minutes after walking out the front door.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Lots of people used to shoot at a quarry behind the old Dorsey Speedway. There was an old quarry off of camp Meade road, on the way to Freetown that was used quite a bit. This was back in the 80's

Kabookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Pasadena, MD
    When I was a new-bee first time shooter, Select fire was the first place I shot. Yes I did so after reading all the negative reviews but the place was so close and I was excited about trying out my new hobby. I opened the door anticipating harsh treatment from whoever was behind the counter and I saw this guy peering up at me through the top of his glasses and I thought...Ok, GAME ON!

:cool: Can i help you? :innocent0 I'd like to rent a lane.
    :cool: Ever shot here before? :innocent0 Nope First time.
    :cool: Got a weapon? Any loaded Mags? :innocent0 Yup aaannnd Nope.
    :cool: Let me see what you have and read the sign on the counter. :innocent0 OK.
    :cool: I need your I.D. ... Do you need any targets? :innocent0 Here ya go. And I'll have a #6.

He then gave me my targets and a plastic card with a lane number on it. I put on my eye and ear protection and went in to shoot. I got off 300 rounds that day and after I was done went back to the counter to check out (once again anticipating harsh treatment).

:cool: All done? :innocent0 Yup.
    :cool: Do you have the lane card? :facepalm: I left it in the lane.
    :cool: I'll need that to ring you up. :innocent0 BRB.

I brought the card back, he rang me up and I left. But I left feeling that I didn't get the right service. Where was all the A-whole-ness I was reading about? Feeling left out I returned once a month for the last year waiting for a confrontation...It has never happened :shocked2:

I dunno maybe I caught them on good days, maybe I realize that I am a bigger a-hole then most and I don't let negative types get to me. What ever it is I am up for challenges. Next time I go there I will walk in and just start off the conversation with "What's Up Jag-Off". After all, I am not going there to make friends, I am going there to practice.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It could very well be that they have changed how they do business a bit. I have to admit that in my case, my bad experiences were years ago - like, more than 5 years ago. Should I give them another chance after all this time? Maybe, but for me it's tough to shake it when I've gotten bad service more than once at any kind of establishment.

Another example would be the Bateman's right off of Aquahart road in Glen Burnie. The last three times I went there I received bad service and/or food, and I go out to eat infrequently enough that when I do go out, I want it to be good and enjoyable, and I'll stop going places where that's not happening.

CyanLink

Mar 30, 2016
    Baltimore County
    Continential

I've been to Continental and Freestate a couple times and didn't seem to have any problems.
    Maybe they've learned to chill out recently. Then again I try to go at irregular times.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thank God I belong to Baltimore County Game and Fish. Outdoor range, and always the nicest people on the planet shooting there.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Down Dorsey road from Rt1, go under a little bridge and then down a dirt road that ran alongside railroad tracks. Dorsey rd no longer connects, i don"t know that area now.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Down Dorsey road from Rt1, go under a little bridge and then down a dirt road that ran alongside railroad tracks. Dorsey rd no longer connects, i don"t know that area now.

There are houses back in there now and the industrial park was expanded. I used to go back there with my buddy 4 wheeling, and he used to shoot back there. He lives on the other side of the tracks, right there.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Lots of people used to shoot at a quarry behind the old Dorsey Speedway. There was an old quarry off of camp Meade road, on the way to Freetown that was used quite a bit. This was back in the 80's

Goes back into the 70's. Dad took me back there as a kid. Right there along the train tracks. I grew up shooting there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom