• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Does anyone own one? i really like the deal they all come with for a little more $ than the springfield mil- spec. plus they are american made and have more bells and whistles.

anyone have an opinion on them? i got to fondle a few at a local shop and really liked the feeling, look, and checkering. and the sights were perfect for me and i liked how it came with a beavertail grip saftey.

this one,
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14721&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

also, how do you guys feel about it having the external extractor?

Last edited:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    go to m1911.org.

those guys are 1911 devotees. Read their reviews and comments. They really do know a lot about the platform. There is a forum devoted exclusively to S&W models.

Dave

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    also, how do you guys feel about it having the external extractor?

External extractors are the devil's work.

That said I don't have any experience with the Smiths.

Why not look at the Springfield Loaded?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/assets/pdf/SPRINGFIELD_Book_armory_PX9109LP.pdf

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397872205.html

Mine looked like this when I got it:

spg_27820.jpg

and now this:

dsc00063.jpg

Probably about $150 invested after the $800 I paid for it brand new.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i have been considering that since i found out i could get both for the same price..

but does the loaded have the checkering on the grip like the smith and wesson does?

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    i have been considering that since i found out i could get both for the same price..

but does the loaded have the checkering on the grip like the smith and wesson does?

Do you mean checkering on the mainspring housing? No, not from the factory. I got an aftermarket for $40. Neither guns have checkering on the front strap, About 2" X 1/2" worth of skateboard grip tape fixed that on mine.

The grips are VZ Operators, very very gritty.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Bean,

A couple of comments with your age and limited budget in mind and sorry for the length of this post.

1) I've tried to steer you this way before when you were asking about AR15s. Do not let price be your overwhelming guide as it may cost you in the long run. Something I learned from experience is that when you are young it is easy to fall into the quantity vs. quality trap. This isn't true for everyone, but I know it was for me. I wanted lots of guns and let cost drive a lot of my decisions. If I had to do it over again (which I have in many ways), I would really learn about the different platforms and about myself and what I really enjoyed shooting. What I mean by that is do you want to do more than just plink with your guns? If so, is it tactical shooting with carbine, pistol or shotgun? Is it bulleye, IPSC, whatever? Do you really want to work at those disciplines? Do you mind having safe queens? I've personally been getting rid of really nice safe queens in order to fund high-quality guns that I will shoot and really enjoy. Unless you are independently wealthy, it just makes better sense and really gives you more satisfaction. This also makes sense in terms of the rising cost of ammunition and/or components if you reload.

2) Once you've done the above, then understand that all platforms are not created equally. This is particularly true in both the AR and the 1911 arenas. You need to really understand why one gun is more expensive than the other. Compare that with what you've decided from exploring what I talked about in #1. An example is your comment regarding checkering. The checkering you will get on the SW is going to be machine cut and probably 20 LPI. That checkering will definitely make your hands tough. You might end up making a decision because the SW has checkering and another gun doesn't, but the other gun might be head and shoulders better than the SW- not saying it is or isn't, just making a point- and this issue could have been addressed temporarily with $2 skateboard tape until you can send it to a good gunsmith and get 30 LPI quality checkering done when you save a couple of hundred extra bucks. In the end you would have a better gun and be happier.

I'm just trying to pass on experience. BTW- I have some really nice safe queens I am getting ready to unload....might be out of your price range though :). We all get older and hopefully make more money, but we boys still want our toys and I've found those get more expensive the older you are and more money you make. Final example. My crown jewel is my Barrett M82A1 NG (military model). Went to the 1000yd range this past weekend in PA. My buddy had his new .338 Lapua custom bolt gun. I enjoyed shooting that gun way more than the Barrett. It cost 1/3 with everything. Still learning lessons. Good luck. Kevin

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Bean,

A couple of comments with your age and limited budget in mind and sorry for the length of this post.

1) I've tried to steer you this way before when you were asking about AR15s. Do not let price be your overwhelming guide as it may cost you in the long run. Something I learned from experience is that when you are young it is easy to fall into the quantity vs. quality trap. This isn't true for everyone, but I know it was for me. I wanted lots of guns and let cost drive a lot of my decisions. If I had to do it over again (which I have in many ways), I would really learn about the different platforms and about myself and what I really enjoyed shooting. What I mean by that is do you want to do more than just plink with your guns? If so, is it tactical shooting with carbine, pistol or shotgun? Is it bulleye, IPSC, whatever? Do you really want to work at those disciplines? Do you mind having safe queens? I've personally been getting rid of really nice safe queens in order to fund high-quality guns that I will shoot and really enjoy. Unless you are independently wealthy, it just makes better sense and really gives you more satisfaction. This also makes sense in terms of the rising cost of ammunition and/or components if you reload.

2) Once you've done the above, then understand that all platforms are not created equally. This is particularly true in both the AR and the 1911 arenas. You need to really understand why one gun is more expensive than the other. Compare that with what you've decided from exploring what I talked about in #1. An example is your comment regarding checkering. The checkering you will get on the SW is going to be machine cut and probably 20 LPI. That checkering will definitely make your hands tough. You might end up making a decision because the SW has checkering and another gun doesn't, but the other gun might be head and shoulders better than the SW- not saying it is or isn't, just making a point- and this issue could have been addressed temporarily with $2 skateboard tape until you can send it to a good gunsmith and get 30 LPI quality checkering done when you save a couple of hundred extra bucks. In the end you would have a better gun and be happier.

I'm just trying to pass on experience. BTW- I have some really nice safe queens I am getting ready to unload....might be out of your price range though :). We all get older and hopefully make more money, but we boys still want our toys and I've found those get more expensive the older you are and more money you make. Final example. My crown jewel is my Barrett M82A1 NG (military model). Went to the 1000yd range this past weekend in PA. My buddy had his new .338 Lapua custom bolt gun. I enjoyed shooting that gun way more than the Barrett. It cost 1/3 with everything. Still learning lessons. Good luck. Kevin

i know what you mean.. but i am looking for the most bang for my buck and reliabilty in the same sense... i like both the S&W 1911 and the loaded but i have not yet handled a SA loaded model. i have heard good things about both guns but all guns have their cons and i am also looking out for personal interest

cons of both.. mostly are personal preference but can all be changed but then again... i am on a budget and want a decent, reliable 1911 that i can carry, plink with .45 or a .22 conversion kit and compete in IDPA with.

S&W
    - external extractor
    - no ambi saftey
    - single slide serations

i hear the EE on the S&W actually isn't as bad as what kimbers had but i'd like to test it out and hope i get a reliable good working gun

LOADED

-no main spring housing checkering
    -2 peice guide rod
    -made in brazil and not the U.S.

both are in the same price range and have had good reviews and bad reviews on them and have their pros and cons but i cant decide on the two. i took your advice on the AR and figured out which one i wanted to get and went with a CMMG but i will have to wait until X-mas to get it since im buying the 1911 with my own money

Bean,

Kevin

Nice post. It almost sounded like me. I concur with everything except I like 20 lpi on the front strap. My wilson Cqb came with 30 and its probably the only thing I don't like about it.

Cheers!

Dave

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Kevin

Nice post. It almost sounded like me. I concur with everything except I like 20 lpi on the front strap. My wilson Cqb came with 30 and its probably the only thing I don't like about it.

Cheers!

Dave

Thanks Dave. My point was that checkering should not be a driving consideration in going with a gun. I just happen to be the opposite and used it to illustrate a greater point. I have one of the original SA TRP Operators with the full length rail. It is a great gun, but the only thing I would change would be the 20 LPI to 30. I sent that gun back to the Custom Shop to clean-up the machine cut checkering and got a 3.5# trigger job. Overall it is a minor thing. Kevin

Dowagiac

S&W Member
    Aug 3, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I've been looking at the S&W 1911 myself, I like the 1911PD Gunsite Edition. I also looked at a few Kimbers. Would apperciate anyones opinions. Also, Kevp what are you looking to sell?

Thanks Dave. My point was that checkering should not be a driving consideration in going with a gun. I just happen to be the opposite and used it to illustrate a greater point. I have one of the original SA TRP Operators with the full length rail. It is a great gun, but the only thing I would change would be the 20 LPI to 30. I sent that gun back to the Custom Shop to clean-up the machine cut checkering and got a 3.5# trigger job. Overall it is a minor thing. Kevin

Concur. The Gnome just had a Colt 80 in .38 super converted to 9mm for IDPA. Rich Dettelhauser @ Canyon Creek did the work. When i spec'd the features for him, I did 20 lpi on the front strap and 30 lpi under the triggerguard. It feels really nice to me, but then again - I like it rough :cool: Rich does an awesome job and his turnaround was only 6 weeks.

Dave

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    well i have officially decided.

i am going for the springfield armory loaded parkerized model, and since i want checkering, im gonna get a ed brown checkered main spring housing/ mag well.

along with that, i also plan on adding a 1 peice GI style guide rod, tritum night sights if the novaks arent already like that, ambi- mag release if necessary. and maybe a trip to a gun smith one day if i want some other work added to it.

this gun will become my carry gun, wether it be conceald or openly since i can OC when i turn 18, and also my IDPA gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom