Police stop and you are legally transporting a non-serial number firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I've never been stop on my way to the range (of course carrying firearms) but have heard stories of others that have and it seems like the police run the serial numbers of the firearms being carried (I guess to see if they are stolen). My question is: what if you are stopped and legally transporting (and I'm not referring to concealed carry just transporting cased firearms) firearms that you built and that have no serial numbers to run through a police data base?
    Is the presumption that since the firearms are in your possession they must belong to you and if no other reason to detain you they say "have a nice day" and send you on your merry way?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I would assume that the average LEO holding a radar gun isn't intimately familiar with every law on the books, and probably isn't aware that building your own firearms is perfectly legal, and that a serial number isn't required on them. You might see some extra scrutiny it if ever came up during a stop. :shrug:

More broadly speaking, one might consider transporting their firearms and gear in such a manner that they aren't easily seen during a traffic stop. You're under no obligation to answer questions, either. Don't lie, of course, but don't volunteer information. Be polite and protect yourself from what might end up being a hassle over perfectly legal activities.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As long as the serial number was not scratched out or destroyed, which is a crime in itself.

Firearms are not required to have a serial numbers, especially homemade firearms.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Is there anything illegal in your car?
    Is your stop about guns, or was it about your third brake light being burnt out?
    Are your firearms in plain sight?

If no to all the above, then why talk about them?

It is legal to make your own firearms so long as you’re in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. They’re legal for you to possess, and so long as you’re in compliance with federal, state, and local laws, legal to transport as well.

If you’re not doing anything wrong, you’re not doing anything wrong. No reason to make a traffic stop conversation about anything else other than the traffic stop.

My .02
    IANAL

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Subscribed. I have intel that MSP SOP is to confiscate them. Let's see folks say otherwise......

So under that SOP, my 1948 break action shotgun that was manufactured without a serial number should be confiscated? I don't think so.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If they ask.....don't lie.

If they ask to see them.....politely tell them no.

If I'm stopped in Maryland for rolling a stop sign, and the officer asks if I have any guns in the car or a gun on me (nothing is in plain view) what must I tell him?

In Wyoming an officer did business with me from the passenger side, and unless he was blind could easily tell I was carrying. He never mentioned it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So under that SOP, my 1948 break action shotgun that was manufactured without a serial number should be confiscated? I don't think so.

Too add, the MSP doesn’t know about the rifles and shotguns purchased with just a NICS check. Those guns aren’t “registered” with anyone.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Subscribed. I have intel that MSP SOP is to confiscate them. Let's see folks say otherwise......

This statement is false. That being said, your average Trooper wont know the laws and often they can freak out for a long and arduous process before figuring out you're not doing anything illegal. Some hear the word gun and immediately go to handcuffs. Often, a Trooper cant even find a serial number without contacting the barrack's firearms instructor. That being said, they have a phone number for their "gun center" that they contact to get the legal route to handle any gun questions. So, essentially, they make a call to sort out what they should do.

To the above advice of don't volunteer info and politely decline search, that sounds like legal advice... I'm no lawyer though.... just sayin, generally knowing your rights and the difference between consent and probable cause is useful data.

To the guy who was asking about the pre serial numbered shotguns, that's the sort of question barrack level firearms instructors get all the time.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If I'm stopped in Maryland for rolling a stop sign, and the officer asks if I have any guns in the car or a gun on me (nothing is in plain view) what must I tell him?

In Wyoming an officer did business with me from the passenger side, and unless he was blind could easily tell I was carrying. He never mentioned it.

I was stopped on 95S, after Maryland lied about seat belts being a secondary offense, and was asked by a state trooper if I had guns in my vehicle.

I said yes. And that was the end of it. Did I have to answer? I don't know.

What I do know is The U.S. Constitution means jack crap when pulled over. The police hold all the cards. So it's yes, sir and no, sir and being on my merry way.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Just out of curiosity, and not to hijack the thread; If you are simultaneously making guns with no serial number, and worried about the possibility of legal trouble due to lack of serial number, why not just engrave it? I.e.; "TheRealJimDavis Gun Co., Serial Number 1234?"

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, and not to hijack the thread; If you are simultaneously making guns with no serial number, and worried about the possibility of legal trouble due to lack of serial number, why not just engrave it? I.e.; "TheRealJimDavis Gun Co., Serial Number 1234?"

Its not your job to prove innocence its their job to prove you guilty...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I was stopped on 95S, after Maryland lied about seat belts being a secondary offense, and was asked by a state trooper if I had guns in my vehicle.

I said yes. And that was the end of it. Did I have to answer? I don't know.

What I do know is The U.S. Constitution means jack crap when pulled over. The police hold all the cards. So it's yes, sir and no, sir and being on my merry way.

I do not disagree.. now for some :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom