Immediate Action Required -- Urge Gov. Larry Hogan to veto HB 1302 ("red flag bill")

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Done again and again and again. Tonight's email tonight's theme was Leadership. As in good leadership is by doing what's right not what is popular

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I wonder if anyone reads these emails past the point of tabulating for/against?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm going with no.

I've received nothing in the way of a response from Hogan's office.

Maybe a letter outlining campaign contributions from a wealthy Nigerian Prince would be read.

Then the letter could close with VETO HB1302.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm going with no.

I've received nothing in the way of a response from Hogan's office.

Maybe a letter outlining campaign contributions from a wealthy Nigerian Prince would be read.

Then the letter could close with VETO HB1302.

I agree. Have emailed him multiple times and never hear a peep. Now all I am getting are emails letting me know what a wonderful job he is doing and how much money will I send toward his re-election.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I emailed twice and called once.

I’m on Maryland Hunting Coalition ‘s Facebook page. There was a post about this years legislative session, with no mention of HB1302. There is a polite post about it now :D

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Search and seizure.

How do the cops know if they have all your guns? Do they enter your home and turn it upside-down searching every nook and cranny or do they just take your word for it that you have given them all your firearms and ammo?

Sounds to me that they are violating your 2nd, 4th and 14th amendment in this bill.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    update on timetable for action

I have updated my initial post with the information that as of this morning (April 19, 2018), House Bill 1302 has not yet been formally transmitted ("presented") to the governor's office. The legal deadline for "presentment" of bills is April 28.

Beginning at the time of presentment, the governor has up to 30 days to sign the bill or veto it, so May 28 is the last possible deadline for action by the governor. (If the presentment occurs before April 28, as seems likely, then the deadline for action by the governor will also be sooner.) If he takes no action, the bill becomes law without his signature.

The bottom line is that the bill could be presented and then signed, or presented and then vetoed, anytime between now and May 28. Presentment and action by the governor could occur very close together, even on the same day, or as much as 30 days apart.

If the bill is not vetoed, it will take effect on October 1, 2018.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Is it within the bounds of possibility that the bill might not be "presented"? That could be the best of all possible worlds, relieving GA from the onus of passing a hideously unconstitutional bill, and taking the burden off the Governor's plate.

Let them try to get it right next year, with a bill that would address the issues without dismantling due process over an enumerated right.

Edit: this question is apparently being discussed in another thread as well.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have updated my initial post with the information that as of this morning (April 19, 2018), House Bill 1302 has not yet been formally transmitted ("presented") to the governor's office. The legal deadline for "presentment" of bills is April 28.

Beginning at the time of presentment, the governor has up to 30 days to sign the bill or veto it, so May 28 is the last possible deadline for action by the governor. (If the presentment occurs before April 28, as seems likely, then the deadline for action by the governor will also be sooner.) If he takes no action, the bill becomes law without his signature.

The bottom line is that the bill could be presented and then signed, or presented and then vetoed, anytime between now and May 28. Presentment and action by the governor could occur very close together, even on the same day, or as much as 30 days apart.

If the bill is not vetoed, it will take effect on October 1, 2018.

Any idea if this bill is with a group of other bills or is it hanging out there all by itself ?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Any idea if this bill is with a group of other bills or is it hanging out there all by itself ?

I do not know about the status of other bills. It took me six calls to three different state offices to obtain the information that, as of this morning (April 19), House Bill 1302 had not yet been presented. It appears that there is no publicly accessible list that shows whether individual bills are still in pre-presentment status or have been presented. I have the impression that in some or perhaps many cases, the date of presentment is coordinated between the MGA leadership offices and the governor's office (but, all bills must be presented by April 28).

Is it within the bounds of possibility that the bill might not be "presented"? That could be the best of all possible worlds, relieving GA from the onus of passing a hideously unconstitutional bill, and taking the burden off the Governor's plate. Let them try to get it right next year, with a bill that would address the issues without dismantling due process over an enumerated right.Edit: this question is apparently being discussed in another thread as well.

I respond as in the other thread: Bounds of possibility? Our star, the Sun, is not massive enough to go nova. But the unexpected impact of an asteroid of ten miles or more in diameter anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere, prior to presentment, might interfere with the process of presentment. I suppose that the bill would, in that case, be dead. However . . .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Please flood Governor Hogan's mailbox and Facebook pages with the link and excerpts of the quoted article below!

In a USA Today newspaper opinion piece put up just hours ago (and one that could easily have been written by MSI President Mark Pennak here in Maryland), Michael Hammond, the Legislative Counsel for Gun Owners of America, breaks down the unlawful "Kafkaesque" foundation for RED FLAG already enacted in six states.

Gun Owners of America is a pro-gun rights organization representing more than 1.5 million people

Red flag laws let police confiscate guns without due process. Suspending the Constitution in a secret hearing is a Rubicon from which there is no return.

But this is exactly what is at stake with Gun Confiscation Orders — cynically disguised as "red flag laws."

Six states have enacted these laws. At their core, they allow the police to convene a Kafkaesque secret proceeding, in which an American can be stripped of his or her gun rights and Fourth Amendment rights, even though gun owners are barred from participating in the hearings or arguing their side of the dispute.

The first thing gun owners learn is when police knock on the door — ready to ransack their house and, if they resist, to arrest or even shoot them and their family.

The standard is not whether there is probable cause to believe that the gun owner has committed a crime, as the Constitution would seem to require. Rather, the standard is some subjective determination about whether the owner represents some "danger."

As in the film Minority Report, Americans are stripped of their fundamental constitutional rights based on the subjective possibility of a "future crime." And we know from our limited experience that many accusers lie or make mistakes — even more reach delusional conclusions — and the target is frequently an abused victim who is most in need of the wherewithal to protect against an abuser.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rights-violate-constitution-column/526221002/

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Not neccesssily. I am certain Hogan’s pollster is testing Red Flag and finding out what we are finding out on the street: hardly any of the voters are tuned in or aware of it.

We were at the State House and City Dock this afternoon with VETO THE RED FLAG BILL signs and 9 our if 10 people have no clue.

We need to continue making a fuss and supplying facts to provide political cover to reject this unlawful and dangerous bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom